main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ and its flaws

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Gharlane, Feb 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamDavebulba39

IamDavebulba39 Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2001
  2. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    someone was asking about a ROTJ-basher thread, and this is the largest one in recent memory.

3. Natira

Natira Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Thank you! I found it now. :)

4. Natira

Natira Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Well, I have to sign off for now, but I do look forward to posting my thoughts of ROTJ here! Until then. ;)

5. darthfrede

darthfrede Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    RotJ is a VERY... VERY good movie...

It's as good as all of the other three SW-movies...

If anyone else feels like me, then head over to the "RotJ-DF" and give your support...

6. war4theunderdog

war4theunderdog Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2001
    I signed on to defend ROTJ on this thread, but after reading it, I realized that I needed to accept Jesus Christ as my personal....er, that is, I realized that ROTJ really does suck. I see the light now. The space battle and the light saber duel still rock, but oh well, this was one crappy film. Better than TPM, though.

7. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If anyone is a fan of ROTJ, then make your presence felt at the ROTJDF.

8. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    war4theunderdog;

Don't give in to the Dark Side! ;)

9. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    Yeah, war4theunderdog, don't hate the movie just because some people came up with a whole bunch of reasons to. If you really like it, you're not going to care what anyone else says about it.

10. Converter_of_Power

Converter_of_Power Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2000
    Return of the Jedi is probably my favorite episode because the redemption of Anakin Skywalker almost has me in tears when I watch it. That is lucas's crowning achievement right there! When Luke says, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." I get chills down my spine. Its so good! I wanna watch it now, with a group of friends.

If I had to rate the SW saga from best to no the best (because they are all great) I'd say
    ROTJ
    TESB
    TPM
    ANH

Im gonna get beat down for that ANH being the worst or most not best rather. But I firmly believe it..

11. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Up for Natira's sake.

12. robot717

robot717 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2001
    While Empire is my favorite film in the series ( I love Yoda ) I'm also a big fan of Jedi too.I like the Ewoks.

13. Kiame_Jinn

Kiame_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    ROTJ is an excellent movie because:

a)It's part of SW. Period.

b) Luke finally grows up into a skillful jedi, wears cool black clothing and redeems his father.

c) most importantly, Wedge is in the final scene!

14. sethworld

sethworld Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    Ranking

ANH
    RotJ
    ESB
    TPM

15. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    "a)It's part of SW. Period."

Good reason ROTJ sucks because it just sucks.

"b) Luke finally grows up into a skillful jedi, wears cool black clothing"

He seems more Sith than Jedi afterall he isn't wearing the desert robes that Lucas now has retconned into the Jedi uniform instead he is wearing black clothes which Lucas has retconned into being the Sith uniform.

16. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    it really doesnt matter what luke wears. he just probably wore that cause he didnt have anything that resembled a jedi robe. i doubt they made those kinda clothes anymore with the empire and all and i seriously dont think that luke could just go to a store and pick one up. and maybe black is his fav. color ;) ?

and rotj doesnt suck. its the ending of the saga and if you dont like it go cry to GL. dont give all this crap to us... :)

17. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    "Good reason ROTJ sucks because it just sucks."

[sarcasm]Yeah, that's a good argument. You got me there.[/sarcasm]

18. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    I agree with Converter_of_Power. My rank of the Star Wars films is also as follows:

1.RotJ
    2.TESB
    3.ANH
    4.TPM

I have always loved RotJ! It has some wonderful scenes such as the bike chase and the redemption. RotJ has always moved me the most of all the Star Wars films.

19. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Luke wears black to show just how close he is to becoming like Vader. This was a subject for a 'classic moment' a while ago...

EDIT: links

Very Vaderish
    Man In Black

20. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    Thanks, KS. I was just about to jump on that point as well. Luke's different wardrobe helps raise several questions below the surface, and adds to the movie. It is not a discontinuity, it is a positive.

21. Kiame_Jinn

May 21, 2001
    "ROTJ sucks because it just sucks"?

Come on, you'll have to do better than that!
    Maybe I was a bit flippant with my reasons for liking the film, but at least I gave you some reasons!
    If you want an essay on why the good outweighs the bad, I'll be happy to oblige.
    By the way, Luke's outfit was specially designed to symbolise "hidden layers" to character, hence all of the folds in the garment.

22. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    symbolise "hidden layers" to character, hence all of the folds in the garment.

That's a bit of a reach...your pet theory, or did someone at lucasfilm actually try to say that with a straight face?

23. Kiame_Jinn

May 21, 2001
    Actually it was an interview with GL. I'll try and dig it out and get a few more quotes.

Oh and a straight quote from the same interview is that one of the themes he uses is "friendship and your obligation to your fellow man" maybe you lot should take a few notes....

I am what you term as a gusher, but I also admit there are things I personally don't like about the films. Just because I don't trash the whole film because of these things, it does not make my opinion any less important than yours.

If you hate the film that much, why waste time talking aabout it? I suggest the most healthy use of your time is to concentrate on the things you DO like and leave the bitchiness to those failed actors and directors who call themselves "film critics".

24. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Kiame_Jinn

"'ROTJ sucks because it just sucks'?

Come on, you'll have to do better than that!
    Maybe I was a bit flippant with my reasons for liking the film, but at least I gave you some reasons!"

Obviously you didn't read the tone of mockery.

"If you want an essay on why the good outweighs the bad, I'll be happy to oblige."

Please write!

"By the way, Luke's outfit was specially designed to symbolise 'hidden layers' to character, hence all of the folds in the garment. "

So what was the in universe reason? If Luke is a jedi then Lucas should have had him wearing jedi robes instead Sith robes. Why is Luke wearing Sith robes, we know that the Jedi uniform is the garb Obi-Wan was wearing? If it wasn?t then why was the Jedi wearing it in ep1?

25. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Once again, the links
    Very Vaderish
    Man In Black

If you want to ignore the symbolism of the costume, then perhaps the movie explanation would be that Luke is alone in the Jedi order and can wear what he wants. Had there been a Jedi order at that time, then I'm sure he would be wearing similar clothing to the rest of the Jedi.

Plus, Lukes just not a farmer, he has too much of his father in him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.