main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RotJ and RotK

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BaronFel88, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Many epic movie series feature a dramatic final battle, but I like the similarities between the Battle of Endor in RotJ and the battle at the Black Gates in RotK:
    Both feature traps (the Rebels are tricked into fighting by the Emperor, while Sauron is deceived into fighting Aragorn's forces while he leaves himself vulnerable to Frodo)
    Both rely on trust (Aragorn believes Frodo is alive and can destroy the Ring [despite apprehension from his comrades], Lando has faith Han will destroy the shield generator [despite doubt from Admiral Ackbar])
    Both feature redemption (Anakin finally redeems himself after 20+ years, Frodo redeems himself after briefly giving into the Ring [though I'm still disappointed Frodo gave into the Ring the way he did])

I just love the similarities here, and they're probably not a coincidence. :p

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well... the connection is pretty strenuous(sp)...
    Both are very epic though. RotK's ground battle beats the Ewoks however :p
    I could also argue RotK utilized its characters better. Not by leaps and bounds, but enough maybe. I'd have to see it again.

3. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    Let's not forget this one: A once strong and revered person, who became corrupted by greed, departing from the world in flames. Denethor kind of got redemption too, (like Vader) when he looked at Faramir and realised everything he had done wrong. Thus, fulfilling Gandalfs earlier predictions. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it works.

4. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    RotK (Novel) spoiler:
    In the book, Frodo isn't really redeemed in the sense I think you mean, because Gollum fell into the Lava all on his own. There was no struggle. I don't think that anyone who possessed the Ring for a significant amount of time could willingly destroy it.
    End spoiler

Then again, I don't think that Frodo even needed to be redeemed. Even Gandalf and Galadriel were too tempted by the Ring to take it. Frodo resisted it for longer than would be possible for most people

5. Frodolives

Frodolives Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Hey neo-dragon, did you like the fact that there was a scuffle for the ring at the end of the movie or do you like the end of the book better? I kinda didn't like the movie version of the destruction of the ring. They just had to have that dramatic scene where Sam pulls Frodo up.

6. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    What's the book ending?

7. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I like the movie ending. Frodo has to make a choice: succumb to the ring, or choose life. He chose life. It doesn't take away from anything in the book and it adds to the climax of the story.

As for the similarities between movies, well, yeah, Lucas was influenced by LOTR (and many other stories). The Death Star is just a mechanical Eye of Sauron! :p

L8r

8. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Well ROTJ is of course endless better than ROTK.

ROTJ has a great character interaction, great plottwists whereas ROTK just follows an unvisible line.

When you watched ROTJ for the first time, did you suspect Vader to turn on the Emperor?
    The ending, the finale of ROTJ was unexpected, a huge surprise, whereas everyone knew from the beginning of Fellowship, that they would destroy the ring (I did not read the books).

Yes, yes, the CG battle was bigger, but the battle of Endor had epic proportions:
    Space Battle
    Endor ground
    Endor bunker
    Death Star Lightsaber

And the ending of ROTJ is much better IMO: The whole sequence from Luke burning his father suit until the endcredits is touching.
    Whereas ROTK is just plain boring in the last 30 minutes after the zoom-out of the white city.

9. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    In the book i believe Gollum just bites his finger off, and then falls into the lava. Frodo is kinda in pain (obviously) and doesnt try to go after him.

10. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    "Hey neo-dragon, did you like the fact that there was a scuffle for the ring at the end of the movie or do you like the end of the book better? I kinda didn't like the movie version of the destruction of the ring. They just had to have that dramatic scene where Sam pulls Frodo up. "

When I first saw it I was surprised, but not bothered by it. It makes sense from a movie standpoint. Frodo is "the hero", and in movies, "the hero" always has to play an active part in resolving the conflict. Also, what I later came to appreciate is that the struggle between Frodo and Gollum is actually quite ambiguous. Is Frodo trying to force the Ring (and possibly Gollum) into the lava in order to complete the quest? Or is he actually just trying to get the Ring back for himself? The scene leaves it open to interpretation. I hear that even Peter Jackson won't comment on what his motive was supposed to be when he attacked Gollum. Overall, I can see the logic behind the liberties which Jackson took in all of the films, so I have no complaints.

11. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    I kinda didn't like the movie version of the destruction of the ring.
    yeah I agree. It was ok, but I like the book version better.

I agree with the first post. Both ROTJ and ROTK are my favorites out of both trilogies. They were the most intriguing, interesting and I dunno I just love them. In ROTJ it had the most interesting places in the whole trilogy IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.