main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT ROTJ and Vaders unmasking...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Ward, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Darth Ward

Darth Ward Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2016
    Ive watched ROTJ numerous times throughout my life and I love it as much now as I did in 1991 when I first watched the trilogy. The thing that still makes me feel a bit let down by the movie is when Vader was unmasked.
    In 91 I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Luke to unveil Vader for the first time.
    I must say I was let down to an extent. Seeing an old decrepit man underneath that mighty armour made me cringe. How was Vader so powerful as he is when he looks very nimble and weak?
    Did anyone else feel let down or have any negative views on seeing such a powerful figure being revealed as actually weak?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    That's exactly the intention

Before that, he's this menacing, powerful warrior who couldn't be defeated but by his own son. He's the badass who chokes his officers to death for failure because he can, and he's this intimidating tall figure whose armour makes him look scary
    Then in reality, we see who he really is underneath. A scarred and practically already dead man whose voice is hardly a whisper. That's a powerful revelation, I think

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

3. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    Exactly. He was the most popular/feared villain in movie history to that point. To make him just a frail man was the irony. It made him a more complex character rather than the one dimensional boogie man.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I love that scene and don't think it's disappointing at all.....Seagoat pretty much said it better than I could so I just echo his comment.

Seagoat likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My user name is actually a reference to that scene.

I wasn't disappointed. It gave me hope. It is extremely rare that someone who has committed the atrocities that Vader committed, ever wants to turn things around. He got his power from being a murderous villain, but decided the power was not worth that price.

I saw ROTJ when it first came to theaters and that scene was surprising on a level that I'm not sure people really understand today.

6. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yoda might have been the most powerful, but what you wrote makes Anakin the greatest Jedi, IMO. He managed to get back to his true self he's only forgotten, as Luke would say.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Exactly. It's the paradox of it all. That the most feared man in the galaxy, was in reality simply someone who was forced to be lowered to a meager cyborg. It was meant to show that a man who had so little of his human body left, could still display such vast humanity. All he wanted before he died was to look at his son with human eyes, not through the eyes of a machine.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Indeed. It gave me hope, as well. It's my favorite scene in all of Star Wars. A person redeeming herself or himself for past wrongs, however depraved and devastating, is rare in real life.

It was a good way to deconstruct the man.

Prisic Duskleap and Sarge like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "You learn that Darth Vader isn’t this monster. He’s a pathetic individual who made a pact with the Devil and lost. And he’s trapped. He’s a sad, pathetic character, not a big evil monster. I mean, he’s a monster in that he’s turned to the dark side and he’s serving a bad master and he’s into power and he’s lost a lot of his humanity. In that way, he’s a monster, but beneath that, as Luke says in Return of the Jedi, early on, “I know there’s still good in you, I can sense it.” Only through the love of his children and the compassion of his children, who believe in him, even though he’s a monster, does he redeem himself."

--George Lucas, “Star Wars: The Last Battle,” Vanity Fair, 2005

Gavin Edwards: What was the greatest challenge with him?

George Lucas: I had to make Darth Vader scary without the audience ever seeing his face. Basically, it's just a black mask. I said, "How do I make that evil and scary?" I mean, he's big and black and he's got a cape and a samurai helmet, but that doesn't necessarily make people afraid of him. His character's got to go beyond that – that's how we get his impersonal way of dealing with things. He's done a lot of horrible things in his life that he isn't particularly proud of. Ultimately, he's just a pathetic guy who's had a very sad life. The first film, people didn't even know whether there was a person there. They thought he was a monster or some kind of a robot. In the second film, it's revealed that he's a human being, and in the third film you find out that, yes, he's a father and a regular person like the rest of us – he's just got a bit of a complexion problem.

--Rolling Stone interview, 2005.

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    That was the whole point. Within the iconic badass exterior, within the intimidating pose of ‘I'll choke you to death from halfway across the galaxy if you so much as sneeze at me’, within the terrifying presence, we have this broken shell of a man; beaten and scarred from a battle long ago. The PT showed us that he was actually one of us; one of the good guys. A hero, someone who just wanted to make the galaxy a better place but because of poor choices born from outside manipulation and inner emotional issues, he turned into this. A man mostly made of machinery, relying on machine to keep him alive.

That was the whole point. To show how even within the greatest evil, there is a frighten, broken, scared man who got that way because of some skewed up ideas in his head. Not everyone is pure, irredeemably evil. Some got that way because they were afraid of some unseen threat that only they could see.

11. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I remember being disappointed as a kid as well. I didn't like it then. But I totally agree with GL's decision as an adult.

12. steelneena

steelneena Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2007
    I'll recall here the story my Dad told me. He said that he and his companions were expecting an African American man with such certainty, despite the knowledge that Vader was Luke's father, that they were completely speechless. He never said if he particularly liked or disliked the reveal, just that he was so shocked he couldn't think about anything else the whole rest of the movie through, not that that's a lot of time anyways. It was always entertaining to hear him recount that.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  13. Darth Ward

Jan 8, 2016
    I must admit you make a good point. As do most of the replies here.
    I often wonder how long it took Vader to realise that he had been lied to and manipulated by Palpitine to turn to the dark side all this time and wether he was sorry for betraying the Jedi.
    Vader says on a few occasions in the OT "you don't know the power of the dark side" and it makes me wonder what is it he wants to learn about the dark side exactly. Surely it would be to late to save Padme now as that was his plan 20 year previous...

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. Vader was the myth, Anakin was the man. Even if he tried to bury it.

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Vader started being sorry at the end of ESB/early in ROTJ.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  16. HullCityJedi

HullCityJedi Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2014
    The reveal was great, seeing this powerful man whom everyone had feared for so long and taking the mask off and seeing he is an old man, doesn't lose impact of the character in fact you kind of feel sorry for the guy, powerful man now an old man

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I have to post this once again. NSFW.

Heroic BB-8 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  18. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001

Yes... the fact that he doesn't kill any of his officers at the end of ESB when the Falcon gets away can be looked at as evidence of that. You almost feel like he's more upset about not being with his son rather than succeeding at turning him to the dark side.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  19. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    While I didn't have the luxury of watching ROTJ in the cinemas like some of you (I was only four when the movie came out), that scene of Vader's unmasking still gets me, even today... Seeing the most powerful and feared man in all of the galaxy being revealed as a badly scarred, older-looking man that has trouble breathing and speaking is the greatest irony of them all - but it was good that Luke also forgave Anakin for all those past atrocities in the end! ^:)^

"Father, I can't leave you here. I've got to save you."
    "You already have, Luke."

20. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Lest we forget, the first time we got a glimpse of Vader's bare skin is in ESB. Piett approaches Vader in his meditation chamber to report that the Falcon has entered the asteroid field, but comes in before his helmet is put on.

The brilliant part of this scene in my opinion is Piett's brief expression before the helmet is on and before he quickly regains his composure as Vader turns around to address him. Piett's look of visible discomfort at his first sight of Vader's scars surely reflects the audience's.

21. Darth Ward

Jan 8, 2016
    Yes I agree with this. Piett gave a look as if to say "What the hell?"
    Which is what I was thinking to be fair. I actually prayed to Jesus that hopefully we will see him unmasked. Just because I really wanted to see what was going on under there.
    I'm also glad we got to see what part of him was machine and what part was man in ROTS.

Huttese 101 and skypadme94 like this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I can't recall my exact feeling at the time but since I do recall loving the whole aspect of Vader, Luke and the Emperor and that is a key factor in my fascination with the prequels story then I can only assume it was pretty well received by me.

23. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i think it was perfect.

as an aside, a dear friend of mine bawled her eyes out the first time she saw that scene.

24. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I dont think the reveal of him could've been a win-win situation either way. Some were bound to be disappointed no matter what they saw under the mask. It's an extremely touching moment to see a weakened, old man behind such a powerful image of the Vader mask.

25. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    It freaked me out because Luke's dad died. That kind of told me as a kid that my dad would one day die. It made me sad. Brilliant scene. No disappointment.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Sarge like this.