main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ Chapter 24: An Ewok Trap DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ROTJ chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Return of the Jedi and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 24: An Ewok Trap
    DISCUSSION: December 22, 2005 - December 26, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 67:44 - 71:56

Synopsis:
    Luke returns to the rebel party and there is no sign of Leia. They decide to keep moving. Chewie sees a dead animal and despite what Han says, he goes for it and the heroes get caught in an trap set by the Ewoks. Luke tells Han to reach his lightsaber but they keep going in circles. Artoo then pulls out his saw and cuts the net dropping the heroes to the ground. They are surrounded by Ewoks who consider them a threat. They point their spears in Luke and Han's faces. Han tells an Ewok to get the stick out of his face. They won't budge until they see Threepio, who they take as a god rising from the ground. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Continuing the storyline of the separation of Luke and Leia as well as the rebel strike team is a great way to follow up the report of Vader. This chapter starts out pretty serious but ends up being quite humorous to say the least.

Serious in a way that Leia is still out there and that though she has made a friend in Wicket, we do not know where he is taking her. The setpiece of this chapter is the trap. I love the line that Han delivers, "Always thinking with your stomach". Also the fact that it is Artoo who saves the day is good. It's not so cliche as it is a recurring theme.

This subliminally foreshadows the natural skills of the Ewoks. If they can trap a Jedi, they can trap a stormtrooper. Perhaps not using a net, but still they can defeat evil. The Ewoks trying to be intimidating with the spears is pretty humorous. I love the line "Stick that thing somplace else" as Han still tries to be the pirate.

And for some reason the Ewoks are worshipping Threepio, who really doesn't have much to do up to this point. It was good use for Threepio in this sense and gives an idea about how primitive the Ewok culture may be in its monotheism, possibly polytheism. Good chapter.

2. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    I like how this shows another side to Chewie. At times he is a most fearsome warrior, a handy mechanic and amazing pilot but then there's these scenes that make you believe he's just a playful dog. Just like he's afraid of the trash compactor room on the DS, always thinking with his stomach just makes you laugh.

3. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I like seeing Luke, Han, Chewie and the droids captured. Just the banter while they're mid-air is funny. And the Ewoks worshipping Threepio...[face_laugh]

4. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I like the exchange between Han and Luke about Leia's whereabouts, I think is the only time Han is really mad with Luke, but I hate the ewoks and that's all I will say about them.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ROTJ Chapter 25: The Golden God DISCUSSION will be made available 2:45 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

6. sick_sith_girl

sick_sith_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2005
    Chewie is so cute in that scene. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.