main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ Chapter 31: Back Door DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ROTJ chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Return of the Jedi and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 31: Back Door
    DISCUSSION: January 31, 2006 - February 4, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 87:46 - 89:59

Synopsis:
    Paploo leaves his rebel companions and gets on one of the Scout Trooper's bikes. Han and Leia worry that their sneak attack may be ruined. The troopers go after the Ewok, leaving only one of their troops to guard the bunker. Han complements the Ewok's diversion. Han, Leia and Chewie continue towards the bunker. Threepio and Artoo decide to stay off to the side in the brush. Back with Paploo, he is continued to be pursued by the Scout Troopers. Just as about he is going to be shot down, he grabs a hold of a vine to safety. Back at the bunker, Han sneaks behind the remained scout and taps him on the shoulder. The trooper follows him only to be taken custody by the Endor Fleet Troopers. Han, Leia and Chewie enter the bunker. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This chapter has its humor, but furthers the story along in a crucial way. It is essential for our heroes do take down the shield generator by the bunker. Problem is you run into some old friends who are guarding the place.

The speeder bike sequence with Paploo is obviously there for the humor, but it also shows how important Ewoks are to this strike despite what many people believe and feel about these little furballs. What strikes me is that a primitive creature like the Ewok is finally exposed to technology of the advanced man or clone.

The sneak attack on the bunker itself is unique. It was good to see we didn't have the cliche shoot out. But we get one trooper. Isn't it ironic that in ANH, after all the troops leave the command center there's only one. "You stand guard" scene and here it's the same thing, one trooper to confront our heroes.

I must say that I love the music here and sound, especially during the speeder bike chase. It has that childish tone and in my opinion perfectly complements and to some degree contrasts the Emperor's theme. For a fantasy, you can't have all darkness and JW did well here. Good chapter

2. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    havent posted here in a bit.

I love this scene.
    It defiantely shows the help the ewoks give the rebels.
    Paploo's wild ride is humorous and i love it.

3. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    When i first saw this scene and heard 3PO explain "our furry companion has done something rather rash" i got a little confuzled because the next shot is of Chewie. I was like "what's he smelt now, not more meat!". Then we see the Ewok and i was like... "oh" [face_blush]

:p

4. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I also love Hans expression when the Scout trooper looks at him, and he kind of shrugs his shoulders in a
    "sorry bud" sort of way

5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I love Paploo in this scene. It is hilarious. :D

6. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    It's going to sound strange, but my favorite part of this scene is when we see Paploo holding on the handles of the speeder, half flying off. It just makes me laugh.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ROTJ Chapter 32: Luke and the Emperor DISCUSSION will be made available 11:10 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Short and to the point, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.