main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ: Death Star II

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by bucs28, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucs28

bucs28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    I have the widescreen laserdisc original version of ROTJ.

Just wondering - in the ROTJ special edition do we ever see more than one angle of the Death Star?

I was just watching my version and I never realized how annoying it is to see the same shot of the Death Star, but the backgrounds change. Was this updated in the special edition so we could see the Death Star rotating, and more angles of it during construction?

If it wasn't I hope it's added to the list of updates for the Archival Editions.

2. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    I never really thought about the fact that we only see one side of the Death Star, but it's probably because when the Death Star rotates around a planet, the planet is about to be hit by the Death Star's laser cannon. Usually when we see this, there is a space battle between the planet and the Death Star. If the cannon (the big circle) is pointed at the planet, then it only makes sense that we only see that side.

3. AVRIL

AVRIL Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2003
    If it wasn't finished, it couldn't go anywhere. The first one was finished, and it could go to Yavin.

4. bucs28

bucs28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    >>If it wasn't finished, it couldn't go anywhere. The first one was finished, and it could go to Yavin.

What does this have to do with us only seeing one side of the Death Star?

We are not always seeing the same angle of the Death Star, but when it is shown to us, we only see one view of it.

I can understand that back in 1982/1983, ILM just used one static painting of the Death Star for every shot of it. However, with the special editions, the technology was out to have a full 3D rotating model of the Death Star.

My question, since I don't have the special editions, is was it updated from this painting to a model or not? And if not, I'm hoping it is updated.

5. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I know what you mean, as far as I can tell that is the only angle you get to see. It would be cool if in the DVD version they put in a couple shots of it from the construction side and get to see a lot of the unfinished 'guts' of it.

As far as I know a full model of the DS II was built (I know I have seen photos of GL pointing at a large, full model of it during production of ROTJ) so I don't know why they didn't use some other angles from time to time espacially during the space battle. And I have the SE in wide screen and don't recall any new DS II angles. Good observation.

6. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I "think" that the model was actually only half of the thing; some of the behind-the-scenes shots look like it's mounted on a pane of glass or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.