main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ ending music - "Yub Nub" or "Victory Celebration"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Philosophical, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Which ending score do you prefer?

1. Yub Nub (1983 - 1993 OST version)

9.9%
  2. Yub Nub (1983 film version)

23.6%
  3. Victory Celebration (1997 SE)

66.5%
  1. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    Yub Nub was my favorite growing up. That Gypsie Kings rip off at the end of the SE sucks.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  2. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    To me, the original song doesn't sound as "final", it's has more of a tone of "yay we won the battle" where as the new song is more like "this is the end of star wars!"
    Honestly the Blu-Ray version just does it perfectly. After watching six movies and seeing all the characters lives come and go, the new song with ghost-Hayden makes my eyes water, it's a beautiful finale.

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Agree with you 100%. I find the celebration in the SE to feel more like a "complete" ending and ghost Hayden's appearance was great.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  4. TESB

TESB Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2008
    I prefer Victory Celebration, and think it's more appropriate. Yub Nubs falls a little flat in my opinion.

5. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Victory Celebration. It's actually one of my favorite pieces in the saga.

6. TESB

TESB Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2008
    It conveys a more meaningful mood. Peace and relaxation across the galaxy. And given the turmoil the Empire brought, I think it's more than justified.

7. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Original. Only Obi-Wan and Yoda should be force ghosts too. That's the change I would make for my own personal preference.

TK428 likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Victory celebration, definitely. The music along with the new ending montage is by far one of the best changes that provides a nearly perfect closure to the saga.

9. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I've always been cool with the addition of seeing the rest of the Galaxy celebrating and was even open to changing Yub Yub's quiet intimate sound to something bigger, but Victory Celebration falls so flat on every level. It sounds like inane elevator music. Yub Yub at least fit organically as something the Ewoks would be playing as ambient music.

Also, Victory Celebration's final note doesn't segue into the Star Wars credits nearly as well as Yub Yub's.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  10. Hawt for Rey

Hawt for Rey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2015
    I disapprove of this post :)

Whaaaaaaaaaa... I thought it was the exact other way around!
    Yub does this sort of minor third upward, it hangs there for a bit and then there's a somewhat weird resolution into a different key, while VC does a straight-ahead cadence. It's like tuuuuuuuuun, daa-taaaaaaaaaaa---- ! t-tr-t- t-tr-t- t-tr, you know?

Prisic Duskleap and Sarge like this.
  11. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Well I don't like Anakin being a force ghost because it makes no sense. If Anakin disappeared after he died, why bother hauling his suit around? Why have a funeral for an empty suit?
    The way I see it is Anakin died normal death and was burned in a normal funeral. Body burned, off to Star Wars heaven.
    No force ghost, that is reserved for Jedi who didn't turn to the darkside and who disappeared on death, Obi-Wan and Yoda.
    Returning to the light and saving his son is great redemption but it doesn't undo all the bad

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The victory celebration music from the Special Edition is maybe my favorite major update to the original trilogy. To see the different planets of the galaxy liberated and victorious feels so cathartic.

13. Hawt for Rey

Hawt for Rey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2015

Logic regarding the rules of afterlife doesn't concern me that much, but it seems to stand at odds with the funeral scene - he has his dark, bittersweet closure at the pyre, and then immediately after the ghost appears?
    Just one of the several ways in which ROTJ feels like a compilation of different script versions.

14. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I grew up with the special editions, so I prefer Victory Celebration.

15. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I prefer the original. It was all kind of relief and elation, just the kind of joy that you feel when you've pulled off something unimaginable. It was even a little rough. The Victory Celebration isn't bad at all, it's quite nice in fact, I just felt Yub Nub describes and fits the situation better.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  16. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    Victory Celebration

It's a more fitting track to play for the "ending" of a saga. Yub Nub felt out of place for me.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. Victory Celebration is the better ending in my opinion. I guess I find it more appropriate given it's the end of that trilogy's struggle. And generally, I think it sounds much better. Very calming and full of relief.

18. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    It's weird that they are dancing to music that could not possibly have been generated on site.

19. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Yum Lub grates my ears like a taco on steroids. Victory Celebration is my jam though i always felt it fit the ending very well and i get pumped everytime i hear it. I wonder why JW decided to do a new song for it?

20. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Yub Nub works for the original version where it's Funeral -> Endor party and Victory Celebration works for Special Edition where it's Funeral -> Montage -> Endor Party.

So I guess my answer is...neither. Both works for their respective editions.

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    While Yub Nub is fun and it will always hold a special place in my heart, Victory Celebration is hauntingly beautiful, and imo it gives RotJ a more bittersweet ending, especially in the part where Luke sees the Force ghosts.

22. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Yub Nub all day every day and 2x on Sunday. I don't acknowledge the special editions as canon, they're simply not.

23. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Okay, so I originally voted 'Yub Nub', but regret it. I personally prefer Victory Celebration, it is much more cheerful and upbeat! :D

24. TK428

TK428 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2015
    Yub Nub. I don't care which version. That's the end of ROTJ.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Yub Nub is a good song, and the movie would have been absolutely fine with it, but Victory Celebration was just better. Hear me out:
    Yub Nub to me sounds a bit dated listening to it today. Victory Celebration is 100% classic John Williams. It adds a more poignant note to the end of the trilogy (and for 32, the series). Being dated isn't always an issue, though. I prefer Lapti Nek even though some can claim it's pretty much an 80s dance song. But it felt more appropriate in the context of the film than Jedi Rocks, which itself won't be infallible to aging.