main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ ending music - "Yub Nub" or "Victory Celebration"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Philosophical, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Which ending score do you prefer?

1. Yub Nub (1983 - 1993 OST version)

9.9%
  2. Yub Nub (1983 film version)

23.6%
  3. Victory Celebration (1997 SE)

66.5%
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Victory Celebration + Shaw Ghost is my favorite ending. It truly feels like everyone's happy and celebrating their victory at long last.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Just finished watching Jedi with my younger daughter and her friend. Neither had seen it before.
    My daughter called the Ewoks "Yub Yubs" until I told her their real names. (BTW, the Ewoks got full approval by them both)

Anyway, the New Ending makes no sense at all if you haven't seen the prequels. Who is that ghost guy?
    We Youtubed up the original Yub Nub ending, and it was alot more fun, and it has the Real Dead Darth in it.

3. Infinite Cactus

Infinite Cactus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
    I prefer Victory Celebration from a composition standpoint.

4. PEW PEW

PEW PEW Jedi Knight

Dec 23, 2015
    Sad to see Yub Nub not getting too much love in the poll! It will always be my favourite. It's much better suited to the Stormtrooper helmet drums too.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  5. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    TFN will always skew more towards prequel/saga/SE fans.

6. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Maybe they could've included both tracks somehow, one fading into the other in some manner? You'd hear yub nub at the beginning of the ending sequence, then after we see the Force ghosts it transitions into the Victory Celebration and starts showing the rest of the galaxy. Something like that.

7. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Yub Nub all the way.

8. Wildbillalways

Wildbillalways Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015

These are high quality versions of the original trilogy

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is why no one will officially put out a remastered Blu-Ray quality trilogy. People are too divided.
    For me, there is no ending to Return of the Jedi without "Yub Nub," but as a standalone song, I like to hear the Ewok version. I guess you just had to be there, and the kind of kid who had parents searching all over the place for the lunchbox with Wicket and R2-D2 on it, to understand.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    This quote from George Lucas captures the spirit of Victory Celebration perfectly:

"The whole point of the film, the whole emotion that I am trying to get at the end of this film, is for you to be real uplifted, emotionally and spiritually, and feel absolutely good about life. That is the greatest thing that we could possibly do."

Eternal_Jedi and Sarge like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There are times I find Victory Celebration a bit somber and droning. Yub Nub seems louder, more booming, more energetic, and always joyful and celebratory.

Yub Nub fits the actual scene, it's tempo. Luke actually walks into the scene in rhythm with Yub Nub, Lando claps along, that Ewok is bouncing in beat. The characters look like they're dancing to the song. I'm not sure if they actually played the song during the filming of the scene (I doubt it), but I can believe they did when I watch it.

Yub Nub seems like a song you could actually play at a party, at a celebration. Victory Celebration doesn't. You can't dance to Victory Celebration. You can't even sing along, because it doesn't really have lyrics. At most you can kinda just sway back and forth and drone along with it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    usually I'm a sucker for tradition. But from my point of view Victory Celebration is clearly superior.

Kenobi1138 and Huttese 101 like this.
  13. Darth Cocytus

Darth Cocytus Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2016
    Yub Nub's alright for a song and it is nice to listen, but Victory Celebration added real epicness to the ending of the Original Saga Arc.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Yub Nub (1983 film version)

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Victory Celebration for sure. It's just a better piece of music.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  16. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Ironically, when George decided to replace Yub Nub with the Victory Celebration, it was because ROTJ was now going to be the official ending of the saga, as he had no plans to do Episode VII or beyond. So at that point, it made sense to change the tone to one that recognized the tragedy of the prequels and a new, more melancholy, thoughtful ending that encapsulated Star Wars as a whole. That worked when ROTJ was the end.

But now it's not anymore. And I'd prefer they went back to Yub Nub, which is now more appropriate given the fact that the Endor victory was not really the end.

17. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Victory Celebration. Yub Nub just doesn't do the ending of RotJ justice.

18. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I regret voting Yub Nub, it just doesn't carry the upbeat vibe of Victory Celebration. I prefer Victory Celebration; without the Hayden ghost, of course.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I voted Yub Nub some time ago; I stand by that choice.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  20. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I voted Victory Celebration and still feel that way. However, I've come to appreciate Yub Nub more by thinking of it in the same manner as Lapti Nek: an in-universe song being played by the characters, rather than a piece of the score. Then, around the time that Leia pulls Luke back to the party (since he was looking at the Force ghosts), the out-of-universe score kicks in and it's pretty good.

So I still prefer Victory Celebration but I definitely enjoy Yub Nub more than I used to.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Not to break the rules of this debate, but ideally they could begin with Yub Nub, then transition into the Victory Celebration. Use both.

Sarge and Master_Rebado like this.
  22. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Sorry to be so negative but Victory Celebration is probably the worst piece I've heard composed by John Williams.

It sounds like some earnest new age relaxation tape music, or one of those pan pipe moods CDs that people sell out of suitcase in the high street.

I find it nauseating and totally detached from the scene it's accompanying, ironically. Like it's music borrowed from a different movie.

CT-867-5309 and PaulWrightyThen like this.
  23. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Yub Nub.

Just listened to both back to back. VC sounds like a generic pan pipe moods album that you'd get on one of those shopping channels and all the names scroll up the screen with the name of the track playing in yellow.

Its not bad, its just, there. Yub Nub sounds like a party. An Ewok party. Albeit with a choir.

Still betterer.

24. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    Honestly, I can't really say which one is better. On one hand, Yub Nub seems like more natural given the circumstances and environment on Endor, yet VC seems more fitting to the overall emotion of the film. But if I was forced to choose, I would have to say that VC it is the better of the two songs.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I grew up on the OT and I was 23 when the Special Editions were released. On the whole, I dislike most of the changes made in the SEs (not enough to make me seek out alternate versions to the Blu-Rays mind you).

The Victory Celebration and extended scenes showing celebrations across the galaxy make for a much better ending to ROTJ than original, in my opinion. Particularly in the context of it being the conclusion of the six-episode saga (as it was until recently, of course).

Sarge likes this.