main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ ending music - "Yub Nub" or "Victory Celebration"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Philosophical, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Which ending score do you prefer?

1. Yub Nub (1983 - 1993 OST version)

9.9%
  2. Yub Nub (1983 film version)

23.6%
  3. Victory Celebration (1997 SE)

66.5%
  1. Spectre Jordan

Spectre Jordan Jedi Padawan

May 21, 2014
    I like Yub Nub, but I feel it focuses too much on the Ewoks. It almost makes it their victory instead of our heroes'; the Victory Celebration theme, feels more like its for our heroes and feels reflective of the whole series up to that point.

If Disney ever makes the theatrical versions canon again, Victory Celebration will be one of the few things I miss.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The Victory Celebration music is a half-baked concession to the fact that the Ewoks are providing the music that attempts to sound homogeneous with symphonic Star Wars music. But, inevitably, it winds up sounding like homogenized muzak that's not very good in Symphonic Star Wars terms and is utterly unconvincing as "ethnic" music. Particularly since we already heard the Ewoks make music earlier in the film and it sounded nothing like the pap that replaced Yub-Nub.

The way the orchestra and finale music bleeds into the end of Yub Nub always put the hairs up on the back of my neck.

3. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    Yub Nub, perhaps because it's what I grew up with watching/hearing when watching RotJ. I've never been able to get into Victory Celebration.

4. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    victory celebration (even though my betamax tape of ROTJ had Yub-Nub :)) is just better.

5. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Both are fine, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Yub Nub. Just feels more fitting to the movie's tone than Victory Celebration did.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Yub Nub, especially since the war didn't end until a year later. On top of that, we have the First Order rising to power later. Victory Celebration seems too concluding, as if the war is completely over and nothing similar to the Empire will rise in the future.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yub nub is definitely catchier and cuter but it does make the finale more Ewok-centric, Victory Celebration really ties the whole saga (or at least the concluding installment of the OT) together.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    now that the saga continues beyond RotJ this argument for Victory Celebration loses some merit.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it doesn't. What loses merit is what they've decided to do (or undo) after ROTJ.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like the Victory Celebration as it is a mixture of happy/meloncholy as Luke must be having mixed emotions over his father. In the novel it says Luke is feeling sad until his friends call him "back into the light" or something like that.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They still won the day, the Empire had fallen, the Emperor is dead, Anakin Skywalker takes his place as the Chosen One. If anything Victory Celebration is a finale for the PT/OT as opposed to the Ewok-centric yub yub of ROTJ which I feel narrows it down to just being about the Endor battle as opposed to the larger picture. Just because the saga continues after ROTJ doesn't mean there is a significant amount of closure in ROTJ.

12. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of your argument is why I said "some"

but how is Yub Nub ending Ewok-centric?

And did you mean 'doesn't mean there is not a significant amount of closure'?

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I meant not a significant amount of closure.

I find yub yub Ewok centric (in all it's catchiness) is because the Ewok yub yub vocals really feel like they're driving the music as opposed to the orchestral elements. (Also it always sounds like "Celebrate the loveeeeee" to me, which is fun but kinda irritating) There's still some Ewok sounding stuff being more of brief background element in Victory celebration which then transitions as the more Saga-style orchestral elements come to the fore which wraps up (some) of the saga in that piece of music, just like the montage across the planets does. Also it would be odd to see Cloud City and still hear Ewoks chanting "Yub yub!"

14. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    One of the things I like about Yub Nub is how it blends the Ewok music into the orchestral score.

I love the cantina band in SW and baroque stuff in Jabba's and all tghe background music in the settings. It makes the GFFA more real, adds to the magic of the movies. So to finally hear some GFFA party music at the end of Jedi is great. The Vic Cele takes some of the magic away from me. It's like the shock of the credits hitting but before the movie is over.

Martoto77 and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Right, Frank T.

It feels like the movie has already finished earlier than it did in the original version, for me.

Instead of the crescendo of the Ewok celebration mashing into the traditional SW orchestration and score, which still thrills me all these decades later, I get the feeling that I'd be grabbing my coat and getting to my feet before we even see the three ghostketeers crashing the party.

The nature of the music that replaced Yub Nub is really incongruous as well. We've already heard what ethnic Endor music sounds like but they have Williams scoring it with a type of music not heard anywhere else in the whole saga that seems like a generic ethnic muzak like they play in herbal medicine stores or craft shops selling you beads from south america, and CDs of that kind of god-awful pan-pipe moods music that ruins (sorry) the end of the saga for me.

Frank T. and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I like them both for different reasons. Yub Nub is so fun, sounds like a big celebration song for them -- probably thinking they just saved Endor & not realizing that they helped save Much more than that! and it's humbling to see our Rebellion Heroes celebrate their victory with the ewoks. They could go bask in glory but goes to show , better to hang with a few good friends than party with thousands.

Victory Celebration is melodic ..soft music indicates War is over, time for peace. the music goes well When Anakin appears beside Yoda/Obi ..

Frank T. likes this.
  17. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Yub Nub is what I enjoyed as a kid. One of the best reasons to watch movies from your childhood is that scenes or movie cues will instantly transport you back to when you originally heard it and the memories come flooding in. Music is all about emotion, so changing a music cue is like ripping the heart out of a movie. Even bad music for your distant past will make you feel all warm inside.

Yub Nub also transitions much better into the ending credits music. It is quite the build up for the conclusion of your childhood trilogy. Nothing wrong with Victory Celebration. It just isn't the same fabric.

Martoto77, Frank T. and Master_Rebado like this.
  18. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    They're both really good and work well but in different ways; Yub Nub to celebrate the joy of the characters for having won, having worked well with the Ewoks and especially at being able to reunite with each other, Victory Celebration still has an Ewok influence and those elements but emphasizes more that while joyous it's also a huge, monumental change for the galaxy and also that a lot of people sacrificed and died to attain the victory.
    The former seems a bit more intense for the main characters but a little too much more about the Ewoks while the latter seems both bigger and more appropriately conclusive so I think the latter overall is better.

19. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    Yub Nub will always be my favourite. Not only is it a comical catchy tune, but it does give a great insight to Ewok culture and how they celebrate victory.

Its a shame that the two tunes could not have segued into one another to show the victory celebration tune telling the bigger picture of the rest of star universe celebrating and back into the yub nub. A sort of here and there concept.

Martoto77 likes this.
  20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    What did they undo? The Emperor is still dead. That's not been undone as far as I am aware.

The Republican form of government has been restored to much of, but not all of, the galaxy.

Sure. They really undermined the cause for immediate celebration on those three or four planets. One of which wasn't even part of the Empire.

They can't undo something that was never done in the first place.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Hasn't it? Someone not in the know might have mistook that Emperor-like character for the Emperor himself. Same with the Empire-like faction, the Rebel-like faction, the Vader-like character, the Tarkin-like character, etc, etc... By essentially bringing the Empire back and reducing the "Republic" to a 'rebel' force pretending to be the underdogs, they have undone the whole point of ROTJ, the culmination of the saga, and the acomplishments established in the movie. In order to pander the crowd, here's ANH 2.0.

cwustudent and L110 like this.
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    So if someone mistakenly presumes that Snoke is the Emperor, along with a load of other stuff that they can't appreciate past surface level, that means TFA undid ROTJ?

Sure.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That was sarcasm, obviously. And if that's your conclusion from my post, then there's nothing I can do for you. Read the rest, perhaps...?

24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    The rest of you post is simply demonstrates what I already mentioned. That some cannot appreciate beyond the surface level of things and are struggling with their own spurious and now redundant preconceived notions of the "history" of the GFFA post endor.

If you are going to claim sarcasm then don't provide follow up statements that undermine it.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I prefer Victory Celebration by a pretty wide margin. I just think it's a piece of music with a much greater emotional range, and the contemplative feeling it invokes in me is more appropriate for the culmination of a story spanning six episodes.