main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ Hayden Christensen as Anakin

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StormChewieJedi, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormChewieJedi

StormChewieJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    Wow, I haven't posted anything on here since last November, but it's great to be back. Since I'm a little behind on the goings-on of the forums, if this topic has already been posted, feel free to let me know and send me the link, and shut this one down.

Anyway, I am posting this because I want to know peoples' thoughts on the new part of ROTJ:DVD where they use Hayden Christensen as Anakin's apparition. I, personally, loved it, and when he and Obi-Wan smiled at each other, and Anakin looked down, then smiled at Luke, I think I actually cried. I am definately diggin the new look of the three Jedi spirits. What does everyone else think?

DamonD edit : Keep discussion of the changes to Thread #2 please.

2. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Ummm I think this was discussed in two other threads already.

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
  4. BobaFett261

BobaFett261 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    Keep this thread open!!! IT DESERVES ITS ON THREAD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! Its obvious a huge issue!

Here is a new clip I found at amazon.

Replacing the original ghost of Anakin with Hayden Christensen is the change that I found to be the most offensive. I understand the logic behind it, but I think it's terribly disrespectful to remove a longstanding actor (who is now deceased) who has long been identified with that role. No matter that the role is minor- Lucas should have considered that the timeline and the choice of actors didn't match up with the original movies when casting Anakin for the prequels rather than undoing his sloppiness later. It's an ominous sign and an indication of what's wrong with his current style of filmmaking that Lucas values technology over an individual performance.

5. BobaFett261

BobaFett261 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    It is not my work but it deserves to be seen here on this thread:

------------------------------------------------------------

" by - fcjim 1 day ago (Tue Sep 28 18:09:12)

Re: Hayden Christiensen in ROTJ:

The title of the film was "Return of the Jedi." At first glance, it refers to Luke as being the first newly trained Jedi in a generation, but it also refers to the return of Anakin Skywalker, "The Jedi." So one might think that it makes sense to have the young Anakin at the end of ROTJ. But it is actually a major mistake, from a storytelling perspective.

In Empire, it was Luke's choice to make between good and evil, and in that film he made the correct choice, and sacrificed himself rather than take the dark and easy path. THIS the lesson that not only saved Luke from his father's fate, but that made Luke a true Jedi. When we saw him again, he was not a young starry-eyed farmboy as he was in ANH, or a whiny quitter as he had been earlier in Empire... he was different. He had matured immensly, and had a deep understanding of what it meant to be a true Jedi (Yoda even told him in Jedi, that despite his extremely brief training, that he already knew that which he needed).

In Jedi, this theme is mirrored, but in this case it is Vader who is tested. It is Vader who makes the choice, Vader who makes the sacrifice... Vader makes a choice to, finally, and at long last, choose good over evil, to choose the difficult path over the easy one, the light side over the dark... following the example set by his son Luke. Ultimately, it is Vader who is saved and redeemed by this choice, allowing Anakin to "return." But to have him return in the same image of the young, headstrong, foolhardy Anakin who had yet to learn these lessons, just doesn't make any more sense than to have seen Luke show up at Jabba's palace as a dorky, whiny, impatient farmboy.

Pasting Hayden Christiensen into ROTJ over the image of an old, forgiven Jedi makes it seem as if Anakin never struggled with these choices, never learned what makes a Jedi... it makes it seem that his entire existence as Vader somehow was of no consequence, and he got to start over from where he screwed up. And that's just a major, major mistake on Lucas' part. Anakin died an old man who had finally found the strength it took to be a Jedi, not a young man yet to learn a lifetime's worth of lessons."

6. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    So is Hayden dying on the noarding ramp of the imoerial shuttle or just as a force ghost?

7. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    but he didnt start over did he? He died and came back as a spirit. The spirit that the darkside had consumed had escaped from its clutches. If you read the novel it says that Anakin once more looked like the maverick warrior from his hey day (Episode 3). Strong, with a steely determination.

8. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    So is Hayden dying on the noarding ramp of the imoerial shuttle or just as a force ghost?

Just a force ghost.

9. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    TLJ Edit: Highly inappropriate

10. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I just dont think that those upset with the change understand the change.

When Anakin re-appears as a spirit he's returning as he was BEFORE he turned to the Darkside, as the good man who'd not been seduced by the Darkside. We're seeing him at the point where was before he left the Lightside (therefore this is his lightside self in a way).

It doesn't change what he did, nor what happened to him and it certainly doesn't make any difference to his sacrifice for Luke.

In getting so caught up with disliking the change some I feel are looking at it too deeply to try and make it seem a bad one.

11. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I have to say I'm amazed at how natural the Hayden ghost looked. I heard complaints that they did it sloppily, but that isn't the case with me :)

**Takes deep breath**

And, well... to be honest, I do fully respect the thoughts of those who hate this change, even with it being logical. It works for me, but I understand that it won't for everybody.

I, however, have no respect for bashers who have no spinal capacity and need to resort to using negative comments written by OTHER PEOPLE to stroke their egos. You know who I'm talking about.

If you need to express your discontent, then HAVE THE BALLS TO SAY IT OUTRIGHT. Don't be pathetic.

12. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Hayden Christensen as a young Anakin Skywalker at the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI is very interesting. Obviously George Lucas has his reason(s) for doing this and REVENGE OF THE SITH may give his reason(s). I have no problem with this. He's not finished telling the story of the STAR WARS Saga, yet. :cool:

Its obvious a huge issue!

Here is a new clip I found at amazon.

It is not my work but it deserves to be seen here on this thread:

Do you always let others do your criticizing for you?

Relax.

13. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    People have been posting articles, quotes, reveiws, and any other info you can think of on these boards for years. Why is this all of a sudden something to jump down someones throat about?

Bobafett261, Told us where the artical came from and felt it sensable to post here. Its common practice here. He's not the first to post an artical and wont be the last and Iv never seen such an ill-reception to one. Why? because the piece brings up solid points against those who believe otherwise. And the only way to express this anger was to insult the poster and type really big and use lewd references. Whats sadder is the Irony of a poster saying "Do you always let others do your criticizing for you?" is piggybacking someone elses negative post. "Must'v hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?"-Solo

"I just dont think that those upset with the change understand the change."

Ofcourse not. Anyone upset about anything that Lucas does is most definitely void of understanding. Please.

"In getting so caught up with disliking the change some I feel are looking at it too deeply to try and make it seem a bad one."

Getting "caught up" in disliking the change and "trying" to make it seem a bad one. Yes, STARWARS fans that purposely want to dislike STARWARS. We went out an purchased Millions of box-sets hoping not to like it.

"And, well... to be honest, I do fully respect the thoughts of those who hate this change, even with it being logical. It works for me, but I understand that it won't for everybody."

Ah yeah. The famous compliment and putdown in the same sentence post. You "respect" the thoughts of those who hate the change, even with it being logical. Well, how could you respect someones thoughts if thier thinking illogically?

The change doesnt make any sense and Lucas will have to explain it to us. Period.

14. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Why is this all of a sudden something to jump down someones throat about?

I did not jump down anyones throat. I was not in any way upset with BobaFett261. I was actually hinting for him to express himself in his own words. You missed my point. And I'm well aware of how things are done on these boards. 8-}

Why? because the piece brings up solid points against those who believe otherwise. And the only way to express this anger was to insult the poster and type really big and use lewd references. Whats sadder is the Irony of a poster saying "Do you always let others do your criticizing for you?" is piggybacking someone elses negative post. "Must'v hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?"-Solo

Oh, please, please don't be so mean to me. :( [face_mischief]

I disagree with the "solid points", but I have no problem with them whatsoever. None. They are not a reflection on me, they are not a reflection on Lucas, they are not a reflection on STAR WARS and as such I do not sweat them and I do not take them personally. I can take criticism and I can dismiss it and I can do either without getting upset. [face_mischief]

Still friends? [:D]

15. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    "Replacing the original ghost of Anakin with Hayden Christensen is the change that I found to be the most offensive. I understand the logic behind it, but I think it's terribly disrespectful to remove a longstanding actor (who is now deceased) who has long been identified with that role."

I'd bet good money that whoever wrote this at amazon.com can't name a single movie that Sebastian Shaw acted in besides Return of the Jedi.

16. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    The change is ok, but whats with the grin on Anakins face?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.