main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ Infinities-Vader's transformation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 4LOM, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I leafed through the ROTJ Infinities collection in the bookstore, and I thought it looked interesting. I think it was cool how Luke AND Leia rescue their father at the end, and how he joins the rebels wearing his same suit of armor, only colored white (It looked pretty sweet). But something about it didn't ring true to me...

The Jedi and the Force obviously work on a different set of "rules" than the rest of the Star Wars galaxy. Anakin Skywalker can become Darth Vader, kill a bunch of people, stand by and let a bunch of people get killed, and then be redeemed by rescuing his son and killing his master. Therefore, he stands by Obi-Wan and Yoda in Force ghost nirvana forever, apparently.

But if he had lived and joined the rebels, as in the Infinities, I can maybe see Luke forgiving him, but what about everyone else?

How does Leia forgive her father for torturing her and allowing her adopted homeworld to be blown to smithereens?

How do rebels across the galaxy, doubtlessly affected by Vader's ruthless ways, stand by and allow Vader to fight on their side? For example, think of the family/friends of Captain Antilles, who Vader killed with his bare hands in ANH? Or the friends and family members of Red Leader, Dutch, Tiree, John D, and the other rebel pilots slain by Vader in the Battle of Yavin?

Can you think of a worse PR move for the rebels than having Vader join up? Sure, Luke trusts him, but why would anyone else?

Can anyone come up with any explanations, or is this just a case of bad storytelling?

2. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    I wouldn't say bad story telling, I'd just say that because it's infinities they didnt need to bother thinking too deeply into it as you have. It was just a differant take, and one that wont ever happen so they dont need explinations.

3. The_Ubiqtoriate

The_Ubiqtoriate Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2004
    He probably should have had a new suit of armor and his identity been hidden.

Then again, the self-styled Alliance to Restore the Republic hates the Galactic Empire's regime under Palpatine more than they loath Vader, most likely. The enemy of your enemy is your friend. A defeated Ulic Qel-Droma was accepted to provide the Republic and the Jedi with their final victory.

- The Ubiqtorate

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Personally, I'm gonna say that's bad writing. I cannot possibly see Leia forgiving her father for what he did for a very long time...if ever. The man tortured her, after all, stood by and watched her home planet destroyed, and generally made her life a living hell for a good portion of her existence. I can imagine that the some of the very reasons Leia couldn't train to be a Jedi would be the rage and despair over the past it points to that she never wanted to know.

Why did Anakin appear as part of the Force? I don't believe SW is a Christian heaven/hell universe, that's why (though, in a Christian-verse, he would appear in nirvana since the belief of Christians is that all sins will be redeemed at the end if only truly repents). I think Lucas mean for the Force is a neutral entity; it's the user who makes it "light" or "dark." If the Force is what I think it is, a spiritual "entity" of the universe, then it is simply the "glue" (for lack of better wording) that holds and connects all things together. The Force gives things life, and in death, all are returned to it. Perhaps Anakin was able to cling more to his persona because he never completely went dark side, there was a little part deep inside him that was still human.

And if Anakin had survived? Eh...if he was truly redeemed and sorry about what he did, he would turn himself in and face a jury for his crimes. And then likely be executed. So he's probably better off dead.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Infinities doesn't concern itself with that. You think that Leia would join the Empire, as in ANH? Or that Yoda would murder trillions?

No, not likely. That's why Infinities is fun.

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    But if he had lived and joined the rebels, as in the Infinities, I can maybe see Luke forgiving him, but what about everyone else?

How does Leia forgive her father for torturing her and allowing her adopted homeworld to be blown to smithereens?

Well, it kinda ends there doesn't it.. on a high note.. i'm sure Leia and quite a few rebels aren't happy with vader on their side, even if he is good now.
    many would want him locked away or executed for atrocities... but also remember...

the rebellion is built on a lot of people who switched sides... quite a few former imperials became rebels, and even leaders in the rebellion (general madine, for instance)... imagine the impact to the empire to have the emperor's right hand man switch sides... he's a man who knows most of the evil of the empire and will turn it against them.

leia may not forgive anakin at first, or at all... but i think anakin will want to atone for his dark side activities and try to seek redemption by doing the most good he can... like Angel, the vampire with a soul, knowing that he can't undo his soulless century and a half of evil bloodshed, but still he becomes a champion of good as a way to find redemption.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Vader vs Maul should never have been Infinities.

8. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Vader vs Maul should never have been Infinities.

Yeah. That story made complete sense. Some Sith wannabes cloned him and tried to gain favor with Palpatine by giving him a new apprentice.

No sarcasm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.