main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[RotJ] Really Good Job, Leia.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    [/sarcasm]

I was just watching Return of the Jedi earlier and i've come to the position of thinking Leia completely screwed up Luke's plan in Jabba's Palace.

Here's the scenario just as i personally saw it. Luke's original plan to rescue Han was to simply aquire a meeting for negotiation with Jabba with a little backup and bribery. Luke first sent in R2 and C-3PO to serve as a gift for Jabba to try to make him feel slightly buttered up for Luke. That obviously didn't work because Jabba is a smarter individual than Luke first suspected and Jabba just used the droids for his own personal uses.

Now i suspect that Luke then sent in Leia and Chewie simply to bystand there untill Luke came to negotiate. A very clever plan if i may say so myself, but what in the hell made Leia think she could get away with rescuing Han the first night in the Palace? Almost everyone in the palace is worked up like a soldier. Very alert, very armed. I personally don't think Leia could have made any more noise after she got Han out of the carbonite, and if she wouldn't have made a ton a noise there she would have on her escape with those damn screeching doors.

She should have just stood in the background with Lando and waited for Luke. If the negotiations went "agressive" she could have really helped him there. Luke did some planning on the inside and that eventually got him out, but Leia could have really blown it.

Discuss.

2. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    A good point. I don't know what to think. Things did turn out okay in the end. It probably would have worked out better, yes, if she had just stayed in the background.
    But, my response to "what if?" questions for movies is always: "It didn't happen. If it had, there wouldn't have been a movie." Although in this case the Jabba parts were just part of a subplot.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I don't really classify this as a 'what if?' thread, i classify this as a 'she screwed up, discuss' thread. ;)

4. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Luke first sent in R2 and C-3PO to serve as a gift for Jabba to try to make him feel slightly buttered up for Luke. That obviously didn't work because Jabba is a smarter individual than Luke first suspected and Jabba just used the droids for his own personal uses.

I think that this proves that Luke really never planned on negotiating with Jabba. What was he gonna do, demand them back afterwards?

Now i suspect that Luke then sent in Leia and Chewie simply to bystand there untill Luke came to negotiate. A very clever plan if i may say so myself, but what in the hell made Leia think she could get away with rescuing Han the first night in the Palace?

I kinda got the impression that Han had been there a while, thus becoming Jabba's "favorite decoration."

I think Luke might have been Plan B. Leia's fiasco would have worked had they not understimated Jabba. However, you may have a point in the statement that Leia was supposed to be there solely as Luke's backup since the droids had already been given to Jabba. However, I think the droids were there to grease the wheels and to make Leia look good and intimidating. They needed some inside players.

5. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    If Leia did get Han out, Luke would still have to go back for Chewie, R2 and 3PO, so she should of just waited or got Han out why he was still in Carbonite, that way there would of been less noise and talking but it still leaves Chewie imprisoned so she just screwed up Lukes plan and made herself someone else for him save.

6. SW_Holiday_Special

SW_Holiday_Special Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    "I kinda got the impression that Han had been there a while, thus becoming Jabba's "favorite decoration.""

Yes, there's a year between ESB & ROTJ.

7. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    *ignores EU*

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    "There will be no bargain!"

Luke had foreseen that Jabba would be stubborn. He also used to live on Tatooine and probably knew about Jabba's reputation. Leia's plan to sneak Han out the front door would have worked if Jabba hadn't been on to her from the start. Leia didn't really screw up...its just that her cover was blown and she didn't know about it.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Leia did what she did so she would be put into a metal bikini and then chained to Jabba's throne. Her actions were not only more aesthetically pleasing, but it also put her in a position where she was up close and personal with Jabba, so when the right time came, she could "take care" of him.

Well done Leia! :)

10. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Go-Mer-Tonic I think may have hit the nail on the head on this one! :)

11. JoshDorst

JoshDorst Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    I think that Leia was part of the plan. In order for Luke's plan to work, Han has to be out of the carbon freezing and everyone had to be alive. Someone had to set it up by doing some dirty work. Luke obviously knows about the Starlac and possibly the Rancor was part of his plan as well. He probably heard a lot of things about Jabba when he was hanging out with friends while living there.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not a bad theory, Go-mer. And she shows the ol' Skywalker liking for choking your enemies to death, too.

I think Luke was not really planning to negotiate Han out of there...IMO, everything[/i[]prior to Luke arriving there was set up to make Jabba underestimate him. Which he did.

13. JesterHead1651

JesterHead1651 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    well when do u expect them to get han out of there

14. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    *ignores EU*

You can ignore EU as much as you want, but the fact remains that a signifigant portion of time elapses between ESB and ROTJ.

I think that Leia went exactly according to plan; SOMEBODY had to get Han free of the carbonite so that Luke could rescue them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.