main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT ROTJ: Reason for deflector shield deactivation for the shuttle?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DV-213, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Darkstar AKA Robert Scott Anderson seems to be more Mike Wong's biggest opponent in debates, if you ask me.

Mike Wong runs Stardestroyer.net which is ultra-maximalist, Darkstar runs st-v-sw.net which seems to be minimalist.

Given the number of times visual imagery is inconsistent (is the Falcon 80 ft long or 115 ft long?) it's not always to be relied on.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the clarification, I thought this "Star Wars vs. Star Trek" issue was a specialty of Mike Wong. There's one particular picture one might have hoped to have avoided these "fan wars".

Iron_lord wrote

Given the number of times visual imagery is inconsistent (is the Falcon 80 ft long or 115 ft long?) it's not always to be relied on.

That example doesn't really apply in the Death Star size debate and will not yield dramatically different results.

Fact remains that the Death Star's equatorial trench height is about the same for both Death Stars, but the trench miniature on the overall VFX model of Death Star II is just half the height (compared to DS I), so Death Star II is "nearly twice as big" compared to DS I and thus beautifully compliant with the ROJ novelization.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Its size relative to the Forest Moon yields dramatically different results based on the shot used - ranging from 1/11 the diameter, to more like 1/100 the diameter.

this was before.

According to the above site- the reason Saxton got that figure was that he confused the bay Vader lands in at the start of the movie, with the larger bay that Luke leaves at the end of the movie.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote

Its size relative to the Forest Moon yields dramatically different results based on the shot used - ranging from 1/11 the diameter, to more like 1/100 the diameter.

I think you're mixing up the Death Star size with the Endor size issue.

The size of the second Death Star can be determined by either putting the matte painting hangars into relation or using ILM's Transamerica Pyramid as a ruler.
    There is no visual evidence whatsoever suggesting that the diameter is much, much less than 300 km (the SSD impact would even suggest a larger diameter than that).

Depending on which combined shot (Death Star II and Endor) you prefer, the Death Star II with 300 km (instead of these erroneous 160 km) would then automatically suggest a larger size for the moon of Endor.
    Our only problem is to agree upon which Endor in the background features the correct size.

Besides, since when has a larger moon been a problem? The larger the Endor moon, the lesser our rationalization problems how to explain Earth-like gravity there. ;)

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    SSD impact is probably the biggest outlier - I could see it being

"Used a flat Death Star Surface prop, plus a little bit of "fish-eye lens" effect to make it appear curved in the final shot"

I wouldn't take an easter egg like the inclusion of the Pyramid too seriously. Didn't they put a Statue of Liberty toy into the Executor's surface sprawl?
    It's a big problem for a 900km DS2 to be 1/30 the diameter of the Forest Moon - you end up with a supergiant planet.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWdeathstarsizes-2.html

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote

SSD impact is probably the biggest outlier - I could see it being "Used a flat Death Star Surface prop, plus a little bit of "fish-eye lens" effect to make it appear curved in the final shot"

Something we both agree upon, bring out the Champagne! [face_peace]

I wouldn't take an easter egg like the inclusion of the Pyramid too seriously. Didn't they put a Statue of Liberty toy into the Executor's surface sprawl?

No, it was a 1/35 German Wehrmacht soldier on the port side, but that's besides the point.

In post # 23 I pointed out that my analsyis of the hangar opening sizes strangely happened to match ILM's Transamerica "ruler" Pyramid rather well. You can write this off as a lucky coincidence or that more thought went into that matte painting than we'd be usually willing to believe.

It's a big problem for a 900km DS2 to be 1/30 the diameter of the Forest Moon - you end up with a supergiant planet.

That's not the diameter figure we'd even been discussing, so it's irrelevant. Assuming DS II is 300 km in diameter and is 1/30 the diameter of the Endor moon, we'd arrive at an Endor moon diameter of 9,000 km. That's larger than the largest moon in our solar system (Ganymed 5,262 km) but still smaller than our Earth (12,756).

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Using the RoTJ Sketchbook's 160km figure though, we get around 4900km (the newcanon figure)- almost exactly the size of Mercury, and bigger than most moons in our system aside from Titan, Ganymede and Callisto.