ROTJ shows us what to expect!

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth-Seldon, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    As we have seen TPM is very similar to ANH
    and AOTC is very similar to TESB.
    So it is only logical to conclude that III will be very similar to ROTJ.

So going from ROTJ set up this is a few things that I think will happen.

The movie will begin with a Republic cruiser that will be blown up. (Both I and II began that way! All the origninal films began with the Star Destroyer so it is logical this one will begin with a Republic Cruiser.)

The movie will begin in a new place (I did not say a new planet) It will also have Obi-Wan and Anakin together somewhere in the beginning scenes. How do I know? Well in ANH Lucas made it a point to begin with the droids. In ROTJ he also began the film with the droids (not including Vader's introduction) Lucas has also stated that the two figures of TPM who are similar to the droid in that the film begins with them and that they are there for the ride is the two Jedi. And so Anakin and Obi will be on a mission just as the droids were in ROTJ.

The Jedi will go to a new place where they will meet up with some new characters. This will have to be some sort of Clone Wars thing. Eventually other characters will be revealed like Padme, Mace, Yoda, And possibly Bail.

There will be a battle here which will probably be the end of the Clone Wars. My guess is the place will be Alderaan.

Then all of our heroes will meet up again in a different location. It is most likely that Obi and Anakin will be separated at this time. Obi who will be similar to (ROTJ Han, in that he will be on a mission) Anakin will be similar to Luke in that he will confront evil. Anakin will turn and then Obi will come to rescue him. Then the final duel is between them.

I can't say this film will have a happy celebration for the heroes.

This is just what I think if Lucas follows the ROTJ format.

Darth Seldon
  2. PadawanEmily Force Ghost

star 8
    I have to agree. I thought that about all the other movies. So maybe it will follow the suit :D
  3. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    Back when Episodes 7-9 were planned, ROTJ was originally supposed to end on a downer: Han's death, Luke leaving, Leia becoming Queen. Episode 3 could end similarly: Anakin "dying" by turning to the Dark side, Obi-Wan leaving.
  4. Darth_Dragon_7 Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, two questions about that last post. Where was Luke going and what was Leia queen of?

[face_devil] Drowning Pool, new album April 20 [face_devil]
  5. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, IIRC, originally Leia was NOT going to be Luke's sister, and Luke was going to leave to find his sister, wherever she might be in the GFFA.

As far as Leia being "Queen", I have no idea - Queen of the New Republic? Doubtful? Queen of Alderaan? Wait, it doesn't exist.

Hmmm...I wouldn't go too far with Episode III = ROTJ.

I think something like the Throne Room scene from ROTJ will be in Episode III.

In my head, I was also thinking: you know at the end of ROTJ: SE, where they have the montage of everyone partying when the DSII is destroyed?

I thought Lucas might have something like that for Episode III, except either (a) for the end of the Clone Wars, or (b) the Rise of the Empire - legions of stormtroopers taking over places like Naboo and Coruscant.
  6. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Leia was not supposed to be the sister of Luke.

Lucas had originally planned to make Episode 7-9 and have it deal with Luke in a search for his sister who is in another part of the galaxy (I find this idea to be interesting). I never heard anything about the death of Han. Lucas does not like when heroes die, he speculated about killing Luke but he knew that "Han had to get the girl" and therefore he could not kill him. Kasdan once proposed killing Lando off but Lucas rejected the idea.

Yoda was the only hero to die in ROTJ (Only hero we knew. I don't count rebel pilots)

my opinion is that Dooku will be the only main character villian to die in episode III. Yoda died in the middle of the film so it could be that Dooku is killed in the middle of the film.

Almost all the villans die in ROTJ. A whole lot of heroes will die in EIII

So in those respects the two films will be similar.

Seldon
  7. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it will definitely mirror ROTJ, but the order of events will probably be shaken up quite a bit. For example, I believe the throne room scene will be played out, but I think it will be early in the film, perhaps with Dooku vs Anakin, with Palpatine watching and encouraging from the side. The fall of Anakin to the Dark Side will contrast Luke's strength in embracing the Light Side.

Other similar scenes - the scene where Yoda finally reveals the truth to Luke will probably equate to a scene where Yoda reveals the truth about the ghostly Jedi.

The end of the Clone Wars at the beginning of Ep III ties up the loose ends on a story line begun at the end of AOTC. This is similar to the completion of the frozen Han storyline, begun in TESB and tied up at the beginning of ROTJ. Both are kind of side stories, not the main plot of the series (PT plot = Anakin's fall, OT plot = Luke's rise). Both are also cliffhanger endings to the middle film of the series which are quickly resolved in the next film.

Luke and Leia talking about their mother in ROTJ is nice symmetry to newborn Luke and Leia being with their mother in Ep III. It is only in the final film of both sagas that we consider the relationship of the twins to their mother.
  8. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    good call, stormcloud. I've got pretty much the same take as you. I just hope that Episode III doesn't have something EXACTLY the same as ROTJ's brilliant Throne Room scene.

Well, here's some interesting quotes I found from the ROTJ novelization I thought I'd stick in here:

Check this passage out (from the ROTJ Special Edition paperback novelization by James KAAAAAAAAAHN!) p. 27:

He was clad in the robe of the Jedi Knight - a cassock, really - but bore neither gun nor lightsaber. He stood loosely, without bravado, taking a measure of the place before entering. He was a man now. Wiser, like a man - older more from loss than from years. Loss of illusions, loss of dependency. Loss of friends, to war. Loss of sleep, to stress. Loss of laughter. Loss of his hand.

Wow, I can totally see Anakin like that in Episode III.

From pp. 36/37:

Luke only smiled. "You should have bargained, Jabba. This is the last mistake you'll ever make." Luke was unable to suppress the satisfaction in his voice. He found Jabba despicable - a leech of the galaxy, sucking the life from whatever he touched. Luke wanted to burn the villain, and so was actually rather glad Jabba had refused to bargain - for now Luke would get his wish precisely. Of course, hsi primary objective was to free his friends, whom he loved dearly; it was this concern that guided him now, above all else. But in the process, to free the universe of this gangster slug - this was a prospect that tinted Luke's purpose with an ever-so-slightly dark satisfaction.

Here's another goodie from p. 57:

"You have done well, Lord Vader...and now I sense you wish to continue your search for the young Skywalker."

Vader smiled beneath his armored mask. The Emperor always knew the sense of what was in his heart, even if he didn't know the specifics. "Yes, my master."

"Patience, my friend," the Supreme Ruler cautioned. "You always had difficulty showing patience. In time, HE will seek YOU out...and when he does, you must bring him before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the Dark Side of the Force."

Here's a familiar quote from Yoda from pp. 60/61:

"Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. When you rescued your friends, you had revenge in your heart. Beware of anger, fear, and aggression. The dark side are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Another from Ben on Dagobah p. 63:

"When I first encountered your father, he was already a great pilot. But what amazed me was strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train Anakin the ways of the Jedi. My mistake was thinking I could be as good a teacher as Yoda. I was not. Such was my foolish pride. The Emperor sensed Anakin's power and lured him to the dark side. ...My pride had terrible consequences for the galaxy."

Ben, Continued, p. 64:

"You should not think of that machine as your father. When I saw what had become of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him back from the dark side. We fought...your father fell into a molten pit. When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever - he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker. Irredeemably dark. Scarred. Kept alive only by machinery and his own black will..."

More Ben, p. 66:

"When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant. Yoru mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I took you to live with my brother Owen on Tatooine...and your mother took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan."

More Ben, p. 67:

"She hasn't been trained in the ways of the Jedi the way you have, Luke - but the Force is strong with her, as it is with all of your family. That is why her path crossed mine - because the Force
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.