main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ still best space battle?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NorCalBirdz, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Anybody else think that the ROTS space battle didn't actually outclass the ROTJ space battle like we all thought it would? There was almost no fighter-to-fighter dogfighting. We basically just followed Obi-Wan and Anakin on their way to the Invisible Hand.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes, the ROTJ space battle is still the best.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I've always been partial to the ANH battle myself.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Return of the Jedi has the most epic battle.
    A New Hope has the most emotional one. It is amazing to see both Anakin and Luke in the same battle in the trench.

Revenge of the Sith isn't much of a battle--it isn't intended to be.

-Seldon

5. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I gotta go with the revised ANH battle - the only good addition to the SE (besides technical cleanup and audio) in my opinion.

ROTS really isn't a space battle. It's more like a space adventure. There's not really chasing and dog fighting, it's just stuff happening inside of this big battle. I didn't really think the whole bit with the buzz droids was that great, but I love the opening tracking shot of the ships. I would have preferred a much longer version of that - like a guided tour to the battle over Coruscant - as opposed to "droids attack Obi-Wan's ship and wackiness ensues" that was put in.

That opening shot is still cinematically one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on the big screen. The scope and sense of vertigo from flying around was amazing.

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'm with Seldon on this one. ROTJ's space battle is more epic (as befitting the final battle of the saga) because the objective is to destroy the Death Star and Imperial fleet. The focus is, therefore, on a large group of pilots. ROTS's battle follows Anakin and Obi-Wan's personal experience because the major objective is to rescue the Chancellor.

I kinda like that the ROTS battle focuses on 2 pilots for almost the entire time. It's different than ROTJ but in a good way.

7. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    ROTS has better visuals, but ROTJ is still better. Much more tense and brings you into the action. The stakes are much higher.

8. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I love the opening shot, its brilliant. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Anyway, yeah it isnt a space battle like everybody said.

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    The RotS space battle was just a small teaser for the pandemonium of RotJ. :D

10. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Yep, ROTJ's space battle is still the best. The special effects still blow me away. The only flaw would be the Executor crashing into the DS2. Man I hope ILM will fix that shot someday. But the rest of that battle is AMAZING. The battle of Coruscant is great, but it really isn't a big space battle like Endor. It's a scene that takes place in the setting of a space battle. However, that opening shot is still pretty wicked.

11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Definitely agreed on Executor.

Rather than changing the OT, I would have been happier if George had just fixed more of the crappy effects shot. Like the death of the Executor.

12. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I have to agree. The x-wing pilots, as well as the audience, had a lump in their going into battle as they knew this could be it. They had to protect the rebellion on Yavin, as well as themselves. While rotj is great, I not focused on that battle, as I am more pre-occupied with the Throne Room. Where as anh, I am focused on nothing but the space battle, as the death star approaches yavin iv.

OSB in rots, was not as grand as I thought it would be. I think they should have showed a few other jedi piloting their aircraft. Possibly eveb have one or two shot down to add to the danger level of the battle.

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes, the ROTS fight was visually pretty but felt very antiseptic and detached. I think part of the reason is that the abduction of the Chancellor happened off-screen and you aren't visibly aware of the stakes.

14. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I'm kinda glad the RotS space battle didn't own the one in RotJ. The PT's lightsaber duels rule while in the OT it is still the space battles which dominate.

15. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I am all for the ROTS space battle, ROTJ didn't look as beautiful and detailed. Also the Lady Ex crashes into the Death Star II - how am I supposed to like the moment such a great ship gets blown up? *shakes head*

16. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
    Yep.

We received strong evidence that the focus was on getting to the ship, and not on the actual battle, long ago in the 3SA. Unfortunately, people ignored it, and then came the dissapointment. 8-}

17. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah, I would say the ROTJ is still the best space battle ever created. Very lasrge on scale, and is spectacuarly awesome.

In ROTJ, it wasnt really focussed that much on the entire battle..only when Greivous Ship goes side to side with a Republic ship are we really thrown into it, kinda.

18. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Sorry, I didn't know that piece of information

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    That was the problem with Hyperspace...it gave out small nuggest of information that incorrectly informed you of the direction of certain scenes. It was worse than full spoilers, it was partial spoilers that just left me confused. So my expectations of the film were completely wrong.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ROTS provides us with several great battles without focusing on them. In the PT, it's the politics that are important. The Clone Wars(as well as the trade blockade) are political wars, as opposed to the Galactic Civil War, which is a fight for freedom.
    That's why the OT has greater battle scenes. We participate to a much higher degree there.

AT-ATs are big
    /LM

21. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    ROTJ still rocks.

22. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    I think the ROTS one is intended basically as backround, but it's still really cool.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    RotJ is still a nice space battle, and the OSB is nice background.

I LOOOVE the opening shot with Anakin & Obi-Wan's fighters. It feels like Star Tours, ony better. :p

24. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yes RotJ trumps RotS, and TPM still has the best duel, imo.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    ROTS was all about personal conflict, so even the OSB took on a "Obi-Wan and Anakin" slant.

I think Hyperspace really did blow up our expectations about the OSB, but quite a bit of it could have been cut.

The one thing I would have liked to see more of would be Obi-Wan and Anakin zipping around the capital ships, doing crazy stunts that most people wouldn't even dream of attempting.

In terms of the OSB itself, it was cool to see the "cannons" ejecting the spent shells, troopers and droids falling out of hull breaches, and the 2 capital ships going side-by-side. Very cool, detailed stuff.

But the ROTJ is better, for all the reasons stated above. Plus, it has Lando. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.