main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RotJ: The Emperor's Force Caterpillars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by GrandMoffMoff, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandMoffMoff

GrandMoffMoff Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    One of the biggest running jokes from the OT are the "force caterpillars" in the Emperor's hood from RotJ. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch the throneroom scene again and notice the discolored black marks in the Emperor's hood.

As I understand it, those were added in during postproduction to remove/hide features that were used to make the Emperor seemed more alien.

My $20 million question is this: has anyone ever seen pre-caterpillar pics, footage or concept art? And if so, do have any idea where I can find them?

2. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Force caterpillars? What the?

George has changed his mind on the Emporer so many times, we go from a clean cut politician to a woman with monkey eyes, to a dirty old man with bugs in his cloak. I guess...

Do you have a picture of what you explain so eloquently?

3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    MoffMoff, there is one shot in which the Emperor lifts his head slightly, and the black blob (Force caterpillar! LOL) disappears for an instant.

Underneath it looks like a little crevice in his temple. Weird, sure, but was it necessary to cover up? And why wasn't it fixed for the SE?

The world may never know.

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Can we post a link please? Anyone?

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    It may not be visible in a screenshot because it's black-on-black. The "caterpillar" was barely visible on the big screen, but on a TV monitor it looks like an animated oil-slick.
    Just pop in your copy of ROTJ--original or SE--advance to the scene leading up to the duel, and observe the silliness.

6. Leia_Fanatic

Leia_Fanatic Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I've never noticed these "caterpillars". To me they look like bad CG edits.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're more commonly called "the Emperor's slugs".

Basicly, they were animated blobs of black added over parts of the Emperor's hood in ROTJ during closeups to cover-up smudges of his makeup that got on the fabric.

A word of warning though- if you haven't noticed them yet, don't try looking for them, because once you see them, you can never "not see them" and they become very annoying...I'm surprised they didn't fix them for the Special Edition.

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    " ... animated blobs of black added over parts of the Emperor's hood in ROTJ during closeups to cover-up smudges of his makeup that got on the fabric."

2ndQuest, the blob/slug/caterpillar isn't on the Emperor's hood; it's on his face!

The other theory--that it was painted on in post-production to cover up some feature of the make-up that Lucas wasn't happy with--is far more saleable.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The version I'd heard was the slugs were drawn in to cover some spots of the light used to give Ian McDiarmid's face that creepy appearance that spilled over onto his cowl.

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I'm betting this is fixed for the DVD release.

In 2025... *sigh* :(

11. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Well, whatever they are, they drive me nuts, for I have seen them, and can never unlearn what I have learned!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> 2ndQuest, the blob/slug/caterpillar isn't on the Emperor's hood; it's on his face!<<

The slugs are definately on his hood. I saw them. I can no longer not notice them. Arg!

13. GrandMoffMoff

GrandMoffMoff Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    Yep, once you notice them, they never, ever fade away. It's horrible. I did a GIS on Palps and couldn't find one picture where they're noticeable. On your TV screen, they're glaring, but in captured pics, they disappear.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, it's impossible to not see them now.

15. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I wish I hadn't read this thread. I wasn't aware of this. The next time I watch RotJ I will look. It is unavoidable. It is my destiny.

16. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Oh Im so glad I haven't looked for them yet,

but its only a matter of time before I watch ROTJ again.... Ive gotta be strong.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've never noticed that. I'll have to keep a lookout for them next time I watch ROTJ...

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You'll regret it [face_batting]

19. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    i saw them the other day it won't go away it won't go away

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I saw 'em for the first time this Sunday when I watched ROTJ.

:_|

ATTENTION GEORGE
    FIX IT

Rick McCallum loves you!

21. YodasClass

YodasClass Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    Thanks for bringing this up GrandMoffMoff! I have noticed that black blur mark on the side of The Emperor's face for years now!!!

It looks like a early 80's blurring technique. Kinda like the "vaseline" trick they used in A New Hope under Luke's Landspeeder before they fixed it in 97 for The New Editions.

With all the remastering they've been doing it seems they could correct this too! lol. I never knew it was supposed to be some type of space caterpillar -thingies like you said. They really should correct it though for the sake of the overall look of the trilogy remastered editions.

peace!

22. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Wasn't there a thread quite a while ago about this, well anyway I have found a pic were the slugs are CLEARLY visible

[image=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Emperor_Palpatine/Return_of_the_Jedi&image=Emperor3-ROTJ-vcap.jpg&img=16&tt=]

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    How could anyone not notice the slugs?

I'm surprised some people haven't. They're very noticeable.

24. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    They're hideous, I wish I hadn't noticed them it doesn't take away from the movie for me though.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I noticed them on the SW video re-releases in '95, before the Special Editions. I was hoping they'd remove them for the SEs, but no go.

And yes, it really bugs me, too!
    It's very distracting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.