main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ-The end when balance in the force is reached

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_john_33, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    This website, which enables you to talk to Yoda, Click

They had this to say:
    No father has Anakin, conceived by the midi-chlorian was he. A Jedi prophecy called the "Balance of the Force" there is. The prophecy says that when times are bad for the Jedi, create a life form that will restore balance to the force will the midi-chlorian. Believe it is Anakin Skywalker does Qui-Gon. Believe he does that Anakin is the one who will restore the proper balance in the galaxy, saving it from the perils of the dark side that were rapidly becoming evident. The Sith, who had been previously thought to be extinct forever, had re-appeared, and the balance of the Force was now disrupted and starting to lean towards the Dark side.

We see Anakin release his conflict and bring balance with the Emperor destroyed. In the EU, we know more sinister jedi knights appear and threaten the New Republic. If the Sith were to be reborn and begin to gain some ground on the Jedi, would it be possible for another Chosen One to be born through the midichlorians?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Balance is restored when Anakin kills the Emperor. Whether the Emperor or other Dark Jedi return is irrelevent; at that moment in ROTJ, evil's supremacy in the galaxy is broken.

3. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Balance is restored when Anakin kills the Emperor. Whether the Emperor or....yeah, what he said

4. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    so, dark jedi can be a threat, but they will never amass to a point where another chosen one will be needed?

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It's possable to have a second chosen one born.

6. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Sure, or you could just believe that there are no dark jedi after ROTJ. You could even believe that there are no Jedi at all after ROTJ.

I think that there are always those who abuse the force, just as there are always those who commit murder or steal. But the Chosen One was there to return balance to the force. The dark side was beginning to take over the light side, so Anakin was created to restore the balance. This all really depends on your own interpretations of balance, light/dark side, etc.

Cometgreen

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think that eventually, the need for a second chosen one could arise, but not for many thousands of years, possibly even millions. The Force was "balanced" again when the Sith were destroyed, and the reincarnations of evil and the dark Jedi have no relevence toward that since the light side once again has control over the Force.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    The prophecy says that when times are bad for the Jedi, create a life form that will restore balance to the force will the midi-chlorian.

Think about it, when Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians (some 9 years or so before TPM), were the times really that bad for the Jedi?

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm of the opinion that the Force wasn't trying to protect the Jedi at all, because they were just as much of a blight on its practice as the Sith were. The Jedi had become arrogant and overconfident, and it was as a result of their ineptitude that Palpy got into power in the first place. So when Anakin was born, yes, the Force was out of balance.

Luke was trained differently than either the Jedi of old or the Sith had been, because he had basically been forged as a weapon. He knew how to fight, and he had experience with both the dark and the light side. I think the whole reason a Chosen One was created in the first place was to purge both lines of old Force users and make way for a more balanced line, started by Luke, that would appreciate the Force as a whole instead of dichotomizing it. As long as that line of "gray" Force users persisted, I don't think the Force would need to create another Chosen One.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    To me balance of the Force is not at the end of ROTJ, but rather when Skywalker establishes a new order of Jedi. Granted that's EU, but anyways. . .

I've always looked upon balance being when the "Dark side" and the "Light side" are evenly distrubted and not in terms of numbers of each. So when Vader killed Palpatine, that threw off the "Dark side" balance over to the "light side" and it was not until Skywalker started to train Jedi, did some turn. I also believe that Anakin was meant to destroy both the Sith and the Jedi in order to create a better Order.

In my opinion it's not very Jedi like to steal children from their homes. It's not very Jedi like to avoid attachments if a Jedi is supposed to care about others.

I put quotation marks around the "dark/light" side because I don't believe in a light or dark side. There is only the Force and that's my opinion.

11. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    To me balance of the Force is not at the end of ROTJ, but rather when Skywalker establishes a new order of Jedi. Granted that's EU, but anyways. . .

That would **** all over GL chips!!

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke is balanced at the end of ROTJ. Therefore, balance is restored right then and there.

13. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001

The Jedi are not the Force, therefore your thought is pure poodoo.

Anakin Skywalker balanced the Force so that evil in form of the Sith was destroyed and were never able to return.
    The Darkside would always be there but it no longer had the anchor for which it could forge itself into control.
    With the Emperor's demise, the Darkside was defeated, and the Force was then brought back into balance.

What happens after ROTJ.....well I think the EU is completely wrong in where it went with the Jedi side of things. But I wont comment on that in a film forum.

14. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The Jedi and Sith are gone, so the Force is balanced. Luke and his new line of Jedi will use Dark and Light side when they need to, it makes sense.

As much as they talk about the "Dark Path" and all that, the Dark Side saves Luke in ROTJ, and then the Light Side saves him. They are both useful, as long as you use them in moderation and do not "unbalance the Force"

15. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Luke and his new line of Jedi will use Dark and Light side when they need to, it makes sense.

No they will use the Light side of the Force, but still be aware of the Darkside, not fearing the emotions that can lead down that path. This will lead to an experience of letting the future Jedi Learners come to an understanding of what is good and what is evil, therefore allowing them to make the right choice.

As much as they talk about the "Dark Path" and all that, the Dark Side saves Luke in ROTJ, and then the Light Side saves him. They are both useful, as long as you use them in moderation and do not "unbalance the Force"

The Darkside does not save Luke. Its his realisation that he is using the Darkside and understanding what the Lightside really is and what a Jedi really is that saves him.

A Jedi doesn't use the Darkside, he learns to control his Darkside. Thats the point.

What happens at the end of ROTJ is that Force has been balanced because the Sith have been destroyed and the Darkside no longer has an advantage or has any control. Evil has been defeated and the galaxy can start again.

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    "The Darkside does not save Luke. Its his realisation that he is using the Darkside and understanding what the Lightside really is and what a Jedi really is that saves him.

A Jedi doesn't use the Darkside, he learns to control his Darkside. Thats the point.

What happens at the end of ROTJ is that Force has been balanced because the Sith have been destroyed and the Darkside no longer has an advantage or has any control. Evil has been defeated and the galaxy can start again."

Could you be anymore wrong? Then you bring the EU into it? lol The Dark Side saves Luke physically because he uses it in the duel as a weapon against Vader, though he ultimately renounces it before it takes hold. See also: Obi-wan in TPM, with less success.

Please. The balance of the Force has nothing to do with eliminating evil. Notice it is called "Balance" we all have to balance the emotions inside of us.

And please, no EU bs.

17. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    the EU is an assumption, and I was just working off that. We know the story has the chance for continuing. I don't care if you don't like the EU. It as all an assumption. They take what they thought would happen after ROTJ. I know I thought of possibliities. These people write it down. If George Lucas wrote the EU, you wouldn't slam it.

18. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Could you be anymore wrong? Then you bring the EU into it? lol The Dark Side saves Luke physically because he uses it in the duel as a weapon against Vader, though he ultimately renounces it before it takes hold. See also: Obi-wan in TPM, with less success.

Please. The balance of the Force has nothing to do with eliminating evil. Notice it is called "Balance" we all have to balance the emotions inside of us.

And please, no EU bs.

[face_laugh] Erm did you even read my sig? [face_laugh]

I was saying that from my own opinion, I never bring the EU into a discussion unless I'm in the EU forums.
    The Darkside doesn't save Luke, he is using it wrongly of which he recognises, which is why he stops, calms down and then throws his weapon away.
    He recognises that he is following the Darkside is about to kill his father, and become just like him. So he then knows what he has do and as I said above he did it.
    It was the Lightside that saved, saved him from doing the wrong thing and becoming a Sith in his father's place, and by him rejecting the Darkside's power he saved his father who eventually killed the Emperor, selflessly sacrificing himself.

But the prophecy is about the Balance of the FORCE. Therefore when Anakin threw Palpatine down that shaft on the Death Star, killing him, he destroyed the Sith, ending the Darkside's grip on the galaxy, balancing the Force and allowing good to triumph.

After all Star Wars is about good triumphing over evil.

19. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I just realized I am arguing against someone who believes basically the same thing I do.

Oh well, thats what the OT is for.

However, I do disagree with the "Dark Side" having a grip on the galaxy.

Lets face it, the Force was cleaning house. The Jedi and Sith were both parasites, the Force used Palpatine as an embodiment of evil to get rid of the Jedi, and then used Anakin to kill Palpatine in a suicidal attack. Thus, all of the real Jedi and Sith are dead. The parasites are gone, and the galaxy returns to how it should be.

20. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001

Wrong. Bringing 'Balance' to the Force has everything to do with eliminating evil, or do you want to totally ignore Mr. Lucas:

"Which brings us to films 4, 5 and 6, where Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."
    --George Lucas

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "so, dark jedi can be a threat, but they will never amass to a point where another chosen one will be needed?"

I think it would be difficult for another Sith to take over the Galactic Senate and build a fleet of Star Destroyers and 2 Death Stars again...
    ...especially since the Sith are all gone now. ;)

"Think about it, when Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians (some 9 years or so before TPM), were the times really that bad for the Jedi? "

No, but the plans for their demise were begun in earnest. Keep in mind that the Force can forsee the future.

"In my opinion it's not very Jedi like to steal children from their homes."

Qui-gon asked for Shmi's permission - despite the fact that he believed Anakin to be the Chosen One. Did you think he would use a Jedi mind trick on her, had she refused?

"Luke is balanced at the end of ROTJ."

Actually, he's overcooked at the end of ROTJ. ;)

"he Jedi are not the Force, therefore your thought is pure poodoo."

Nice. Is that the technical term?

"A Jedi doesn't use the Darkside, he learns to control his Darkside. Thats the point."

Technically, he learns to get through the Dark Side. ;)

"What happens at the end of ROTJ is that Force has been balanced because the Sith have been destroyed and the Darkside no longer has an advantage or has any control. Evil has been defeated and the galaxy can start again."

Could you be anymore wrong?

Actually, he's quite right in that aspect (see, Terrious, I can be reasonable when good logic is used. :D )

"The Dark Side saves Luke physically because he uses it in the duel as a weapon against Vader, though he ultimately renounces it before it takes hold."

No, Luke allowed the Dark Side to control him, and once he realized what the true cost of such power really is (turning into another Vader), he came to his senses and stopped using it.

And no, the Force is not cleaning house. How could it, when the Force is life!?! Killing faithful worshippers only weakens it, which is why Palps wanted the Jedi Order destroyed. It was he and Vader that killed off the Jedi, not the Force.

22. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Nice. Is that the technical term?

No but I just felt like adding it in for the hell of it. :p

Technically, he learns to get through the Dark Side.

I agree, whichever way you look at it controlling his own Darkside emotions/rejecting the Darkside/get through the Darkside all amounts to the same thing. :)

Actually, he's quite right in that aspect (see, Terrious, I can be reasonable when good logic is used.)

Depends what you call good logic ;)
    Besides at least we agree on something :D :p

23. Bloody_Mara

Bloody_Mara Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    Bringing 'Balance' to the Force has everything to do with eliminating evil

And if, in the eyes of the Force, the Jedi were also evil, they also needed to be eliminated for balance to be achieved. The Jedi and the Sith may not be the Force, but if they abuse it, they can disrupt the Force well enough.

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Nice sock... :p

25. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Personally, I believe the "Balance to the Force" Anakin brings is Luke Skywalker himself. Where the destruction of the Jedi is a part of the "plan" as there was too much light in tens of thousands of Jedi, and only two Sith. So the Force creates a Great Destroyer to come and kill off the Jedi, because while the Force needs life for it to grow, death is a part of life; it's the other side of life, just as the Dark Side is that of the Force. So it creates a Destroyer, and through a series of events is found by Qui-gon, who takes him in and insists on training him. For the "prophecy" to come true, the boy must be trained as a Jedi, that way he can learn to kill. Obi-wan provides him with the means to do so, and the ball is set into motion.

Yet before his moment of darkness, before his lifetime of destruction, Anakin does his last deed as a "grower of life" on the Light of the Force and produces offspring. Anakin then becomes Vader, a parallel to the Force itself. The Force has two sides, as does Anakin Skywalker. Thus begins the reign of evil.

Enter Luke Skywalker, the one destined to bring back Anakin Skywalker (though I would much rather have Luke as the Chosen One). But before he does so, he has to stand the trials of the Force, which involve starting down the path of the Dark Side. As Yoda mentioned, "once you start down the path of the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny." Luke overcame the Dark Side, it never consumed him, but he never exorcised himself of it either. He can't. He's human, he now has a Dark Side to himself. Which is what was wrong with the Force itself.

Its users had fractured it by dividing into factions. In doing so, they were spreading the Force too thin, to the point of it needing to do something about it. It was the Jedi and the Sith who brought about the imbalance. By choosing only one side rather than the whole, they were throwing it out of whack. And with ten thousand generation, or thousand years, or months, or whatever of nothing but light, the Force needed some darkness to balance itself out. Hence Anakin turning. The Jedi and the Sith were only half human, they were neglecting parts of their own nature as mortals.

At the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke has overcome the Dark Side, but it is still a part of him inside. But with the Sith gone, the Dark Side can never be stimulated more than the Light. Thus there is harmony inside and around Luke; he is a living Yin-Yang sign. Both sides of the Force are co-existing. Just as nature is balanced with growth and destruction, life and death, the Force is in harmony with Light and Dark. Actually, there are no more sides, as there are no more factions. In the end, there is no "Light Side" or "Dark Side," there is just The Force.

Ultimately, Anakin brings balance to the Force by slaughtering the Jedi and fathering Luke. One a gesture of evil, hatred, and destruction, the other one of good, love, and growth. Luke IS the balance to the Force, so thus Anakin is the father of the balance of the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.