main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RotJ: "Unexpected this is..." Unexpected?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darth_stump, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_stump

darth_stump Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    Did some looking for this topic but haven't found it...

"Is Darth Vader my father?"
    "Your father he is... Told you, did he?... Unexpected this is..."

What does the community think of this statement by Yoda? Wouldn't it be natural to EXPECT Vader, trying to sway Luke, to tell him this juicy little tidbit?

Thanks...

2. DarthRicker

DarthRicker Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    Luke was not supposed to face Vader that early. That's what was unexpected.

3. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Maybe Yoda thought Vader was too stupid to put 2 and 2 together.

Let's see, Anakin Skywalker begets Luke Skywalker. Anakin Skywalker transforms into Darth Vader. Darth Vader's relation to Luke Skywalker is . . . concerned neighbor?

L8r

4. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000

Unexpected that I know the truth!

Yoda: No! Unexpected that you rushed to face him. Not ready for the burden, were you.

In the original films it always seems that Ben and Yoda dont give a wampa rats ass for Lukes friends, only thinking about the bigger picture etc. Now, thanks to the prequels we can see why. They dont have friends etc. and are peace keepers, keeping it at all costs.
    Although the Prequels have been slated, one reason perhaps is because it doesent have the same friendship relationships going on, it has been honest and true to the saga. As Lucas said, the original films were the most commercial and the prequels were more political etc.
    Just thinking, the only person in the prequels who does care about his friends is Anakin and we all know how he ends up. It just emphasises how much the Jedi were out of touch and how decades of war and turmoil can change their thinking.
    In Episode 2 Yoda is always looking into the future, by the time Episode 5 comes along he has a go at Luke saying he's always looking to the future, his mind is not on where he was. The here and now. Had Yoda done this he would have found out about the Emperor quite quickly.
    Theres quite a few other examples too. I just HOPE that Lucas doesent see the type of posts on the net (about how things are inconsistent, plot holes etc.) and explain everything. Quite remarkable that for a film series thats aimed for Kids, it goes deeper and has some interest story arks. Gives it another dimension.

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I think what Yoda was referring to was that Yoda did not expect Vader to flat out and say to Luke that he was his father.

I suspect that if Luke had not rushed off to face Vader prematurly, Yoda would have told him the truth.

6. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Great Post Steve1977 (You tell 'em Steve-Dave!)
    If the prequels have shown me anything, its that the Jedi's are not prefect. they can blame themselfs for a lot of the down fall. I mean, they don't believe Anakin is the chosen one, they dont give him the specail attention. They come off a little hard head, at least the council does. They seem to even drop the ball when all the "over taking" going on right infront of them.

7. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

Unexpected that I know the truth!

Yoda: No! Unexpected that you rushed to face him. Not ready for the burden, were you.

You're missing the focus of the dialog - it's:

"Your father he is... Told you, did he?... Unexpected this is...and unfortunate"

Unfortunate that I know the truth!

Yoda: No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him. Not ready for the burden, were you.

--------------------------------

As such, the discussion NEVER centers on why Yoda did not expect Vader to tell Luke that he was Luke's dad. Now, why would Yoda find it surprising that Vader would tell Luke that?

- Because Yoda believed that Vader had completely shed Anakin Skywalker ("that name has no meaning for me") and thus would not admit or recognize that connection? (if so, that shoots down the theory that Yoda wanted Luke to draw out the compassion in Vader instead of killing him!)

8. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I believe Yoda, and by the OT Time, Ben thought there was NO GOOD in Vader anymore. Didn't Ben say "I once thought as you did" when it comes to Luke talking about the good in Vader. Sounds like Ben didnt believe it anymore

9. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I would say Yoda says Unexpected this is etc. is because this shows that Vader is reaching out into his past, from when he was Anakin. Vader has no child, he's a legend of evil. But by saying he was Lukes son he was reaching back into his Anakin persona and making plans to overthrow the Emperor. He'd been a slave to Watto, the Jedi and then the Emperor and now he was making plans to go it alone. Perhaps this is why Yoda thought it was unexpected.

10. Chi-TownStarkiller

Chi-TownStarkiller Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2004
    "In the original films it always seems that Ben and Yoda dont give a wampa rats ass for Lukes friends, only thinking about the bigger picture etc. Now, thanks to the prequels we can see why. They dont have friends etc. and are peace keepers, keeping it at all costs.
    Although the Prequels have been slated, one reason perhaps is because it doesent have the same friendship relationships going on, it has been honest and true to the saga. As Lucas said, the original films were the most commercial and the prequels were more political etc.
    Just thinking, the only person in the prequels who does care about his friends is Anakin and we all know how he ends up. It just emphasises how much the Jedi were out of touch and how decades of war and turmoil can change their thinking.
    In Episode 2 Yoda is always looking into the future, by the time Episode 5 comes along he has a go at Luke saying he's always looking to the future, his mind is not on where he was. The here and now. Had Yoda done this he would have found out about the Emperor quite quickly."

Darn, Steve, that is some excellent insight you have there! Even as a kid, I noted how cavalier Obi-Wan and Yoda were about Han & Co., almost off-putting in a way, but I could feel it was necessary to kepp Luke focused on the end result goal. And in ROTJ he does try to sever his ties by leaving the group on Endor, but he knows he can still gain strength from caring about these people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.