main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTK

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by PADA-1, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    Saw ROTK last night with some friends, great movie but the least favorite of trilogy in my opinion. Of course I expected this since the book was also my least liked. Awesome action and drama till the goodbye scenes at the end which were drawn out way too long for my liking, and no Saruman to be seen. There was a great scene at the beginning showing the transformation over time from Smeagol to Gollum.

2. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Exactly my thoughts on the movie!

3. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I felt it was an excellent movie, As far as how it ranks in the trilogy well I am not the best person to answer that question. I don't have a favorite Star Wars, LOTR or Matrix movie because I see these movies as one big story. Each movie being a chapter of the book and while one chapter may have more action it could not have been that way without the slower chapters building up to it. It all goes back to what Merv said, It's all about causality. Anyways it's a great movie and I give it ****. :)

4. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    I noticed this thread the other day, and it only just now dawned on me what it was about. Am I ditzy or what? Whatever the case I've seen ROtK twice at the theatres and I think it gets better with each viewing. I thought it was a little odd where they put in how Smeagol became Gollum, I don't know where else they could have shown us, but in the final installment seems a little far into the game.

Shelob was awesome. Scared the crap out of me. When Frodo was all wound up, and Sam uncovered his face - that was .... ewie.

What did you guys think of Eowyn in the battle scene? I LOVE how she just whacked off the beasts head, that was great. I wish they'd have been a little more clear about how it was really the elven sword that could kill the Witch King, and not just her.
    The Rohirrim are just... so awesome, I think they're my favorite thing in the whole trilogy. Seeing them roar into battle and annihilate everything in their path gave me goosebumps. When the Alephants came into battle Mom said it reminded her alot of the battle of Hoth with the Snowspeeders vs. the AT-ATs.

I am very unhappy about how they ended it, with the Shire being the way the Hobbit's had left it. That was so wrong, up till that point Peter Jackson & Co. had done an amazing job sticking to the books. Then he comes around and butchers the end; I can understand why he did it, but it still makes me sad. I'll bet money there's an alternate ending on the Extended DVDs when they come out.

5. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    "I'll bet money there's an alternate ending on the Extended DVDs when they come out. "

I'll bet you big money that there won't be. At least not one of the scouring of the Shire.

6. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Why do you think so? On the extended versions they've changed many things from the original theatrical releases, what makes you think the ending of RoTK will be any different?

7. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Because they've already stated that NO scouring of the shire was filmed what-so-ever. It was decided very early on that to include it, while remaining true to the books, would add an unneeded and extremely lengthy addition. I also think that it would take away some of the power of the entire journey the Fellowship had taken.

Now I've read the books, and in the book it was still something that took away something from it. Yeah, it just shows how much the 4 hobbits had changed and that they were a force to be reconed with but how much battle can you really have in a story and still have it interesting. By that point enough was enough.

The things I do "know" they'll be putting in are a scene with Chris Lee and how the Palantir was found in the water. Obviously matching closely what the book has.

"A seven-minute sequence revealing the fate of Christopher Lee?s white wizard Saruman and Brad Dourif?s Wormtongue was intended to be placed at the beginning of the film, but was axed for the sake of trimming an already 200-plus-minute running time."

Also to be seen are some extended stuff with Faramir and Eowen and how they've fallen for eachother. Which is why we see them in the end together.

And from Ain't It Cool News we have the follwoing:

"- This one isn?t going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we?ll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm?s Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.

- Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.

- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen?s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.

- From the horse?s mouth: ?Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he?s going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf?s staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King?s fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.?

- ?We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.?

- ?In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.?

- ?A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That?s him, yelling Come on you slugs!.?

- ?The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix?s Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn't need them, see? He's just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it?s their last stand for sure, and Aragorn?s line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time."

Granted AICN has been wrong before and will be in the future but the shots shown in the trailers and not seen in

8. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I bet the Mouth of Sauron scene will be in it because that exact scene is in the ROTK video game.

9. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    The Mouth of Sauron virtually has to be in ROTK. In Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare there are two pages that show his weapons and armor.

It makes sense for the Witchking/Gandalf scene to be in the EE because when Gandalf rides to save Faramir, he has no staff!

10. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Did anyone see Elisiah Wood on Saturday Night Live last night? They did a skit about a sitcom that had Frodo and Gollom as roomates in suburbia Denver! lol

11. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I didn't see that one, but a while ago I saw one with Frodo and Gollum as roommates..

12. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Just read over at dvd.ign.com/releases that ROTK will be out on May 25th. That is the regular version and the uber-version in the fall I guess, which is wayyyy to long for me.

13. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, that's pretty soon, May? Didn't Fellowship take like ten months to come to DVD? I hope the Special Addition comes along fast, though, I don't think I could hold out for long......

14. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    May 25th? Naaah..I say it won't be out till August and then the Special Edition won't be out until November. I would really love to be proven wrong on this one. :)

15. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    This site is reputable and doesn't put out dates unless they are pretty sure. It's five months since ROTK was in theaters, six months is the average from screen to store. Plus with Star Wars coming in Sept. the company might want to get peoples attention in May rather than risk being blown away by the competition.

16. Gwen_Amidala

Gwen_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Go ROTK! It kicked some major butt at the Oscars! Well deserved, too, it was an excellent movie!

17. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I hope someone gets a picture of 9 oscars lined up (lead by one wearing Gandalf's hat) with 5 shorter Oscars...and 3 regular ones :D

The last two can be madeup like Saruman and a Ringwraith!!! :D

Way to go Peter Jackson!

18. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Was one of those eleven The Oscar for Most Endings A Film Has Ever Had?

19. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I think that picture idea would be great, Krash. ;) I was so surprised to hear they swept their categories, that's amazing, seeing as the academy seems to ignore sci-fi/fantasy every year. The Return of the King really did earn those eleven Oscars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.