main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rotoscopers Needed for "Spirits of the Force" Movies

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jedi_Webb, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I must concede to the amount of work needed to complete Spirits of the Force-Special Edition, Fool's Errand and eventually Reflections of Evil and ask the fan film community for help!

If you are a fan of the original Spirits of the Force film, and are interested in doing saber rotoscoping for either the Special Edition, or the two sequels, please contact me immediately (info below). I will need to see samples of your rotoscoping work before you will be accepted onto the project. Once you are on board, you will need to have Adobe After Effects 6.5, and a high-speed internet connection, since uncompressed shots will be delivered to you via download. Shots will be delivered back to me by email the completed AE file (very small) and I will complete final compositing and rendering. Work is for credit only, and will be listed as "Lightsaber Rotoscope Artist".

You can choose to do as much or as little as you want, but all help will be much appreciated. If you are interested, please contact me:

Webb Pickersgill
    wpickers@cox.net
    http://www.spiritsoftheforce.com

Thanks!

2. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005

Count me in, just name your preferred technique and settings. Seeing as how we're practicly neighbors we can probably skip the downloads, eh?

3. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I could help. PM me or something...

4. Ross_J

Ross_J Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    I'm definitely interested...

If we were to help, would you give a list of the different lengths of shots you have needing rotoscoping, or would we specify how much we are willing rotoscope, and you send us that length of footage?

5. Ross_J

Jan 4, 2005
    **BUMP**

6. Vi3tBoi53

Vi3tBoi53 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    IM IN! Lol.

7. Ross_J

Jan 4, 2005
    Any word on this?

8. Vi3tBoi53

Vi3tBoi53 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Hes PMing people if they're want to help.

9. Ross_J

Jan 4, 2005
    OK, I was just wondering as I hadn't received a reply to the PM I sent him or the e-mail, but I suppose it's just because he's busy.

10. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Hi Everyone. Yes, thanks to everyone who has replied. I'll be busy this holiday weekend, but I expect to get back to everyone next week. Thanks again.

11. frodoandsam69

frodoandsam69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2004
    Why does the full uncompressed file need to be sent? Surely you could send a compressed but full size frame in xvid of the file and then just send the ae file back and layer it on your uncompressed DV original?

12. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Do YOU want to rotoscope on compressed, possibly crap quality footage?

13. frodoandsam69

frodoandsam69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2004
    ...actually xvid would be pretty good quality, just not as good as dv. Your only keyframing the saber on ae, not actually placing it on the xvid. So when you bring it give it to the editor, he just places it over the dv avi and its just as good as if he did it.

14. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    In an ideal world you would rotoscope the footage then export the color version of the saber as well as a moving matte for it. If possible you should try to transfer in sequential targa to avoid nasty compression and make sure that pretty much any compositing program they use will be able to suck it in.

The pipeline I prefer to use is actually allowing the person doing final composits to do all the real saber effect work, but we have rotoscopers creating the base mask for us that we can then use to build the sabers. This way there is a lot more control on the end with the compositor/editor and director as apposed to having to ask for fixes from the rotoscoper, and you avoid discrepencies in saber look between rotoscope artsists. All they need for real time saving is the moving matte of the saber, properly obscured etc.

15. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005

Agreed, though i think that's what Webb said in the first place :)

Rotoscope on uncompressed footage and e-mail back the .aps file with just the masks.
    He can easily and quickly add the glows and the original footage back in on his end.

16. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    I would like to help but only with the painting method.........(http://www.michaelfrisk.com/AESaberNEW.mov)

:)

17. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    whats the resolutin of the footage u want to be rotoscoped?

18. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.