main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rotoscoping question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Centius, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Centius

Centius Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    I am starting to work on some rotoscoping and it's my first time so i had a question about keeping the blade steady. In alot of the frames it blurs too much to tell where the handle is making it nearly impossible to line it up in the right place everytime. Becuase of this i get a kind of bad shifting effect with the blade. If you know any tips for keeping the blade in the right place while being rotoscoped when it becomes extremely blurred like this i would really appreciate it.

2. Chesterix

Chesterix Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    which program are you using? :)

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Which program are you using?

Photoshop is kind of difficult to keep it steady in, since you have to do each frame individually.
    After Effects is easier, if your prop was colored to contrast from the background.

It's just point->click->repeat, really.. until you're satisfied.

4. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    That, and practice. The saber will always blur into nothingness. You learn to figure out where it is over time.

5. Centius

Centius Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm Using After Effects for all the sabers. The biggest problem is in some of the footage they have a blade only in white becuase all the others broke making it very difficult to see. Other than that the main problem is figuring out which part is the handle in order to keep the blade steady and where it should be.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Rotoscoping is a looong process, and one of the things that separates the bad from the best is keeping things accurate and consistent. Unfortunately the only way to get the best results is to be really detailed and concentrate on the little things. It's a lot of work but generally speaking the more time and careful effort you put into it the better your final product will be!

Btw, Centius - Welcome to TFN! :D

Good luck!

7. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Yep, basically DV said it all. Practice makes perfect.

8. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    as for that shifting effect, you have to learn how to keep it steady, go back and forth through the frames with pageup and pagedown and identify where it shifts wrongly, then make an adjustment on that frame or frames then go through it again. Sometimes though, the footage or image will be visibly jittery, and if you dont keep that jitter or movement, it will look just as fake. Happy rotographing.

9. Centius

Centius Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    Alright thanks for the feedback on this guys. It just looks like ill have a lot of work ahead of me heh.

10. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Like (sic)antillies said, I use the page up page down keys to go back and forth between frames. Look for where you think the blade ought to be, and, while going back and forth, try to detect small color differences that arn't in the opposite frame, to tell you where the blade is.

Somebody please say that in a better way than I did. :)

Bgii_2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.