main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rotoscoping questions!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord2, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    four questions about rotoscoping,

1:st How do you change frame when you have rotoscoped the fram?
    2:nd How many "dots" do you use when you rotoscope your video ?
    3:rd How much bluer do you think ILM use?
    4:th Do you rotoscope every single frame or do you rotoscope every 2:nd frame!

Thanks for your replay!

DV EDIT: Locking at original poster's request

2. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    1. pageup/down or control+arrow keys, if you're using AE.
    2. .. Dots? Mask points you mean? You should use six. Two for curves.
    3. This much -----.
    4. Yes and no, some do, some don't, personal taste, etc. Good practice is to go back through and tweak every frame.
    5. We have a whole sticky thread for tutorials on this.

3. Lord2

Jan 6, 2006
    you mean this thread? http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/22268323/p1/?135

No, these are personal questions. It's up to every guy to answer, most of the questions have "do you" in the sentence.

4. Jasteel

Jasteel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2003
    1. Cmd+Arrow (left/right). Cmd+Shift+Arrow jumps every 5 (or 10?) frames.
    2. Four, I go back and add the curve points to individual frames as needed.
    3. For which movie? :B
    4. * Often I'll Cmd+Shift+Arrow after each keyframe, all the way across the shot, then I go back to the midpoint between the first and second keyframes, and do this again, continually adding a keyframe midway between the existing frames until the tracking is spot on. This "multipass" method helps break up the monotony for me, as well as speeds up the process so that I'm only keyframing out of necessity, rather than assuming every frame needs to be positioned.

* Note: This doesn't really apply to a large portion of Vain Blade because I had help with the actual rotoscoping phase of most of those shots.

5. Kaurotu

Kaurotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    Your tutorial you are using should answer all the questions except the thrid one.

6. Lord2

Jan 6, 2006
    I had a question, but never mind. I firgured it out myself :)
    You have now answered my questions, lock it mods.

7. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    Go to the frame before you want the saber mask back on the footage. Now go to the timeline and look at where you've unscrolled mask, mask 1 (or what ever mask you're using) and mask shape. To the left of mask shape there should be a little box that appears empty. Click in the box and a tick mark should appear. Now go to the next frame (this should be where you want the saber mask back onto the footage) and continue rotoscoping. This should fix the problem (if I understood correctly).

What you had done is set a key frame for the mask to be outside the footage, and then set your next keyframe (which would be more than 1 frame appart) back onto the footage. What this tells AE to do is add a keyframe in all the frames between the two keyframes you just made. This makes the points 'travel' frame by frame to the second keyframe you made, which is why they are moving. Hmmm, I'm probably not the best person to ask since I can't explain things very well, but hopefully you'll be able to fix your problem.

8. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    1:st How do you change frame when you have rotoscoped the fram?

Mouse. I 'tween all the way. Maybe by the end I end up using pgup pgdn, but there are usually

2:nd How many "dots" do you use when you rotoscope your video ?

As many as needed. Bodys and limbs and hair take a lot more points than sticks.

3:rd How much bluer do you think ILM use?

This sentence doesn't even make sense.

4:th Do you rotoscope every single frame or do you rotoscope every 2:nd frame!

Every frame.

Thanks for your replay!

I didn't give you a replay.

-Spiff

9. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006

Hee hee hee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.