main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Planet of the Apes reboot series: Next up Kingdom otPotA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sirkis just can't get the credit he deserves, can he?

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    During the "Dawn" maybe Franco is hiding out with his friends Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson.

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great question, and one that I had as well. Are the Apes we see in Dawn the only intelligent Apes on the planet, or are there others?! In Rise, Caesar (and his mother) were the first intelligent Apes since his mother was injected with the Anti-Alzheimer's substance while she was pregnant with him. Later in Rise, Caesar made the other Apes in his simian compound intelligent by exposing them to this same substance (that he took from the lab). These Apes all escaped from the compound, and made their way into the forest across the Golden Gate Bridge, where they formed a community - as we saw in Dawn.

They have never said either way whether the virus that has taken out humans also made Apes intelligent; note that it wasn't the virus that made the Apes initially intelligent, it was the Anti-alzheimer's substance. Somehow, this substance/cure that benefited Apes also proved fatal to many humans.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ^ I'll be interested in the answer to that question too.

I saw the movie on Saturday morning, and kind of disappointed there wasn't a larger crowd in the movie theater; just about 20 or so, but it was a 10am showing.

Anyway, I thought the movie was MOST EXCELLENT!!!

Best CGI and human interaction since Jurassic Park. I mean, it was seamless.

Excellent characters, both good guys and villains. Wonderful story telling that provided heart felt moments before the be action sequences.

For me, what also made this movie great that is was set in San Francisco. The Human HQ is actually my former office building, One Market Plaza on the corner of Market and Spear. The background sets were pretty accurate for the most part in terms of layout of the buildings around that area.

Probably the best movie of the summer.

ukijedi likes this.
  5. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Here's the link to an article where Reeves discussing linking the current films to the 1968 film. Like I said, I don't agree with this idea since I think it limits the film-makers; why not do a pure re-boot?! In any case, I hope that they don't make the future world in these new movies too much like what we saw in the 1968 film - I at least hope that the make-up on the future Apes doesn't look as terrible as what we saw in that film....

http://www.wfmz.com/entertainment/matt-reeves-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes/26886332

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I took Reeves' comments to mean just the world and storyline of the 68 film, not linking to the film itself. Sounds like maybe another trilogy with the ending being the spacecraft returning to Earth.

7. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

I hope you're correct. IMHO, Reeves' comments were ambiguous. He obviously knows that the storyline of the original films (POTA - Battle) don't coincide with the current films, so, as you said, does he mean that these movies will end with the astronauts who took off on the Icarus in Rise (as mentioned in a background TV broadcast) landing on the POTA of the future, as in the '68 film?! And, seeing humans reduced to savages & the Apes dominating? I wouldn't mind seeing this, as long as everything looked different enough from the '68 film. The concern I have is the time-travel aspect - that concept is what made the original Apes films extremely confusing...

I also hope there are more than three films in the franchise; I think five films in all would be great. Apparently the third one is tentatively going to be called Planet of the Apes. There are a lot of possibilities that they can explore in these films...i.e., the possibility of Apes in other parts of North America, on other continents, etc...

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Something I didn't realize about the end credits audio and how it pertains to sequel speculation...

Now, mind you, I didn't stick around to hear this myself since Media Stinger said there was just audio of ape noises and no actual stinger, but from what I've read elsewhere, it's not just any ape noises...

...it's some ape noises accompanied by the sound of twisted metal.

The implication being that Koba may return.

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Awesome. That answered a lot of my questions. Thank you for posting it.

My take on his comments is that these films aren't trying to tie in to the '68 film directly, but more to the events that take place in it (astronauts return to a future Earth where apes have become the dominant species). That's actually a huge difference.

:oops:Oh, boy I hope not. I don't want this to turn into a Friday the 13th situation.

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, I hope you're correct. If the astronauts just land on a future Earth where Apes (who shouldn't look like the Apes in the original '68 film, i.e. they probably should look somewhat evolved, but not like people in Ape costumes) are riding around on horseback and humans are savages, that would be fine with me. If they plan to go this route, the final scenes in the new franchise should be the astronauts being shocked to find this, and then have that be the end of the film.

What I definitely don't want to see in these new films is an astronaut named Taylor seeing a destroyed Statue of Liberty and saying "You da&# fools!" - first of all, there is no n. war in these new films (Rise or Dawn), so there would be no destroyed Statue of Liberty (maybe an overgrown one, however). Second, this was an iconic scene in the original film & these new films should stand on their own, and shouldn't try to copy the original films.

It's also worth noting that while Rise paid more homage to the original POTA films (the line by the animal keeper in the compound, etc.), in Dawn we saw fewer homages to the original films - with the exception of the "Ape shall not kill Ape" sentence written on the rock wall in the Ape community...

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, the whole virus thing pretty much takes the Statue of Liberty ending off of the table... though I believe the nuclear option is still a possibility for a desperate humanity in future films. There are still nukes all over the world, and I could see one of the films ending with the humans (or a human) somehow launching them to, in effect, wipe the slate clean.

But regardless, the state of the world is humanity's fault, so that basic revelation is still waiting there for our returning astronauts.

12. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for a second time last week; If anything, I liked the film better the second time around; things went by quite fast during the first viewing, and I was able to notice more details this time.

In any case, superb film, and during this second viewing I actually felt less sympathy for the humans.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The next one is called War Of The Planet Of The Apes.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  15. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    DotPotA was one of my favorite films of last year, so hopefully this turn out to be great.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope so too

17. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, it took me a year to get to this, but I recently finally read last year's official "prequel" novel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Firestorm (Greg Keyes, 2014). This chronologically takes place during the first several weeks directly after the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, when the virus starts killing humans & the Apes have made their way into the forest outside San Francisco.

SPOILERS BELOW:

I didn't have extremely high hopes before reading the novel, but after reading this was glad I did - via flashbacks, this novel explained Koba's extreme hatred of humans (he had been tortured by them, for one thing), as well as the beginnings of the chaos in S.F. that resulted after the virus starts taking out humans.

It was also interesting to see that the company which was doing the testing on the Apes re: the Alzheimer's cure (as seen in Rise) actually tries to destroy all/most of the Apes - because they mistakenly think that the Apes are causing the spread of the virus. Prior to reading this book, I thought that after the Apes escaped into the forest at the end of Rise, that was the end of their dealings with the humans - until 10 years later, as seen in Dawn.

In any case, this is a good novel to read if you're a fan of these latest two Apes films, though it's definitely more of a supplement to the movies than a good stand-alone novel.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Woody Harrelson To Play 'War of the Planet of the Apes' Villain

Transcript of the video for the YouTube impaired:

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  19. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    They need to change the title to Woody v. Apes.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Some people might be confused and might think of this Woody.
    [​IMG]

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  21. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Good point. And "Woody From Cheers v. Those Damned, Dirty Apes" just doesn't have the same moxie.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Teaser for War for the Planet of the Apes from NYCC.

'War for the Planet of the Apes' Releases Synopsis Before New York Comic-Con

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I love watching a movie teaser that conveys exactly the same amount of information as not watching it.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are we going to finally have a worthy third film that wraps up a trilogy nicely?

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Let me guess how it ends. With the Apes winning in every hemisphere somebody pushes "the button".

Rylo Ken likes this.