main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Planet of the Apes reboot series: Next up Kingdom otPotA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm looking forward to see "War" tonight will all the positive buzz surrounding the film, but knowing the fact that the director will be helming the next Batman flick. Additionally, the two previously films definitely led up to this film being a climatic conclusion. Plus, the story telling made most of the audience land on team Ape rather than team human as Caesar is such a dynamic and beautifully carved out character.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Seeing it on Tuesday along with Transformers 5.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You may not know that the Ape trilogy is an allegory for homo sapiens' colonizing Europe and Asia and in the process wiping out the Neanderthal and Denisovan primates.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, we do, drunk Ken told us last night.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But will this one have weird telepathic people with bad skin who live underneath the planet?

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught it earlier this evening- short version is it's better than Rise but not better than Dawn. It's still good, though- just less complex.

To its credit, the most obvious part of the plot at least doesn't play out exactly like how you expected from the beginning.

Also kinda odd but there really isn't an actual war in this film, at least not the last-stand-of-humanity-against-the-Apes kind being sold in the marketing materials (the giant theater standee I passed on the way out seemed particularly misleading).

There's a little bit in the beginning within a larger context maybe but still not what you'd expect based on the title and trailers.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Who are you people saying it's better than Rise? By what logic? I've literally no idea where you people are coming from with this.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah who are YOU PEOPLE?! You people, as in Quest, literally the one person who said that?!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I am the one who is many. I am legion.

As Ive explained here and elsewhere- Rise has some horrendously one-dimensional human characters outside of the Franco family. They nearly torpedo the film if not for the strength of the other portrayals.

Dawn and War do not suffer from this and are, thus, better. All the strengths, none of the weaknesses. More strengths added.

10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Not sure if you guys knew this, but the original Planet of the Apes movie with Charlton Heston premiered at the Capitol Theatre in New York 50 years ago today. My good share of the day.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I did not know this! Thank you so much for sharing, it's fascinating to know.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I only watched it last night on Blu-Ray after knocking out the new trilogy. Severely underrated movies.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I am so happy my information inspired you.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I disagree about "all of the strengths." One of the best parts of the original Planet of the Apes is how much actual chimpanzee behavior they incorporated into the plot of the film: aggression signalling, dominance displays, alliance networks, etc. Even when they became intelligent, they were still intelligent apes. They still understood the world through the lens of a distinctly simian culture, despite all their expanded intelligence.

In the subsequent films, they may as well just be humans in monkey suits. There was nothing special or distinctive that tied them to their species of origin.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That hadn't occurred to me- but i think that was intentional to show their evolution towards the apes depicted in POTA that it's taking inspiration from.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So I'm watching these films - I'm now halfway the third one and I realize: these films are godawful. First one was the least bad, I guess that's why I kept watching. But it had an awful title.

Why do people like these films?

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I have yet to watch the sequels. The original didn’t thrill me.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought Dawn and War were a lot better than Rise.

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Really? I thought they were boring and predictable. The storyline of the first one was at least a bit original. But the apes looked like crap in all of them.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought all of them were entertaining. I actually got someone excited as I saw this thread bumped up; thinking they might be coming out with a new one soon. They haven't yet picked up the original story of the group of explorers land on a future Earth inhabited by Apes as the dominant species (I'm pretty sure the second movie gave a hint/Easter Egg during a radio broadcast about a spaceship that went missing, but that was about it.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    How did you get them excited?

SuperWatto likes this.
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I find them frustrating, because they're well shot, acted, etc, and there's scenes that are great on an individual level, and yet as a whole, they always end up feeling less than the sum of their parts.

Coruscant likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The first film is one of the best sci-fi films we've had in the last 10 years or so. I think Arrival and Dune were better, but that's basically it. It is really the only film I can think of that looked so hard at how distinct animal behaviors would influence subsequent cultural development. Perhaps the original Jurassic Park went in as much on the man vs nature aspect? But this was something unique even relative to that. The sequels never quite lived up to that promise, but the third film was a good remake of the Ten Commandments that at least didn't star a crazy right wing guy as Moses.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well they couldn't possibly match the realistic costume and makeup of the apes from the 1960s and 70s films.

[​IMG]

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    They looked like crap too.
    I remember I liked the Tim Burton version but it might not have aged well.

edit: and Wocky, you're endorsing a film in which intelligence is vastly increased with spray cans. That's very un-Wocky.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022