main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT ROTS : Anakin vs Obi Wan after Padme choke is underrated

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MarcJordan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Nope. He can feel as betrayed or as angry or whatever as he wants by Obi-Wan's appearance and whatever conclusions he drew from it. But neither Padme nor Obi-Wan put him in any position where he was forced to choke Padme. Obi-Wan was standing a good distance away with his lightsaber still on his belt. Padme was unarmed and clearly distraught. Anakin somehow from all of this decided that the appropriate response was to choke his wife. No-one else made him do it, it was his choice alone.

It should not need saying, but if you love someone enough to marry them and most especially if that someone is the mother of your children... however angry you are, however upset you are feeling... violence is never the answer. EVER.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That sounds a little one-size-fits-all. What if someone has been indoctrinated or brainwashed?

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Here's what else your logic supports.

"You shouldn't have burned dinner, because you knew your husband would get mad and beat you."

Classic blame shifting.

It's really insane troll logic, that for some reason supports the unjustifiable behavior of Anakin Skywalker.

With this kind of logic, literally anything Anakin does is partially someone else's responsibility....making this whole responsibility idea completely meaningless.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's not tragic, that's impulsive, irrational and stupid on Anakin's part. If he had spent about 2.5 nanoseconds actually thinking, he would have realized that Padme would not bring Obi-Wan to kill him.

Tragedy implies that we are supposed to find it sad. I don't find it sad, I find it irritating.

Hence my comment about the mind trick, but Anakin had not been mind tricked. He had no excuse.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There is something slightly unfortunate about the precise timing. I give it that. That doesn't put any responsibility on Obi-Wan, though.

The conversation was going sour before Obi-Wan showed himself, but I've mentioned this before.

6. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    As I already mentioned, by the time this has happened, Obi-Wan already knows Anakin has murdered several fully trained Jedi and killed unarmed children, he may know *or suspect Anakin has also murdered the Separatist leaders who whatever their crimes were unarmed civilians when Anakin killed them. Whilst the specific timing of his appearance was unfortunate he was pretty much obligated by this point to find and stop Anakin committing more crimes if he could. Given Anakin's moral and philosophical betrayal of the Jedi in addition to his multiple crimes at this stage he can have absolutely no grounds to be accusing anyone else of betrayal or treachery.

Obi-Wan was surely well aware that Anakin in his current situation was likely to react violently to Obi-Wan's presence and was prepared if reluctant to deal with Anakin by force if needed. But given that everything that Anakin had done before joining the Sith had been at least partially to save Padme's life Obi-Wan can't really be faulted for not knowing Anakin had done such an abrupt and complete about-face that he had gone from saving Padme to attempting to kill her* in the space of at most a day or two.

*The fact Anakin attempted to choke Padme is enough to say that yes, he was trying to kill her in that moment.

DarthCricketer and DARTHLINK like this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

You're conflating responsibility with causality.

I agree with you and others that Obi-Wan is not at all responsible for Anakin choking Padme. That responsibility lies completely and solely with Anakin.

That does not mean, however, that Obi-Wan's presence was not a causal factor in Anakin's decision to choke Padme. It was indeed one factor. Anakin grew incredibly angry when he saw Obi-Wan, as he assumed his presence meant that Padme was betraying him. This precipitated his decision to choke Padme. In this context, Obi-Wan's presence triggered his anger, and in a fit of passion, Anakin channeled that anger in an awful way. So Obi-Wan's presence is essentially one proximate causal factor for Anakin's decision to choke Padme.

But again, that doesn't make Obi-Wan responsible for it. That's all on Anakin, who through his own free will decided to choke her.

Responsibility and causality. Two different things. One is an ethical concept, and the other is valueless.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  8. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Anakin actually wasn't angry when he saw Obi Wan. He said "because of Obi Wan?". He was in control. Watch again.

MJ

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

He grew angry, and Obi-Wan's presence made him distrust Padme to the point that he felt compelled to almost kill her. So the point stands.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    "Because of Obi-Wan" was moments before Obi-Wan appeared. He appears just as Padme says "Stop, come back, I love you!" and this is what causes Anakin to snap.

11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Hevy, please look again. Anakin says "because of Obi Wan?" Anakin is looking up and sees Obi Wan. Here's a screen cap at that point. He was in control of his emotions. Then Padme continues....It is clear Anakin is holding off his temper. Only when he shouts "Liar" Padme looks behind, he's then given himself an excuse to explode to frenzy. Anakin has been carefully exploiting the situation.

[​IMG]

MJ

12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I disagree, I've watched the scene a lot, and it just looks like he is looking at Obi-Wan. He mentions Obi-Wan by coincidence moments before spotting him, which confirms to him his previous suspicion that it is "because of Obi-Wan" that Padme isn't agreeing.
    In the caption you posted he is just tilting his head up as he considers what Padme is saying, then he spots Obi-Wan and looks pissed.

DARTHLINK likes this.
  13. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm watching it now Hevy. It's there. See it.

MJ

14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Trust me, the angry look is the first time he has spotted Obi-Wan. You are just interpreting the head-tilt as looking at Padme's ship.

15. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014

Not interpreting. From the get go he's exploiting her.

MJ

16. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't disagree with that, he uses Obi-Wan as an excuse to explode, sure. But he doesn't spot Obi-Wan until the last moments.

17. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014

I'd agree with you...if the camera did a sudden pan.

For example, in AOTC, Boba says "Dad, look!" , the camera does a sudden pan and we see Jango turning. When Anakin says "Liar!", it's only when Padme turns then the camera shows Obi Wan.

MJ

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    OK, let me write out the scene here:

<Anakin tilts his head up>
    “Because of Obi-Wan?”

<Padme begs him to stop, turn back, she loves him. He looks at Obi-Wan, a flash of rage runs over his face. The camera pans to see Obi-Wan standing near the ramp.>
    “LIAR!!”

No offense, MarcJordan, but I think you're creating something that isn't there. Anakin's head-tilt was more of a ‘I'm suspicious of your words’. He was suspecting that Obi-Wan was in on all this, but it wasn't until he SAW the man that he drew the conclusion and snapped.

I repeat: the mere SIGHT of Obi-Wan caused him to enter a frenzy and choke his wife. If he saw Obi-Wan while Padme was pleading with him, why didn't he snap then and there? As the movie made it patently clear, Anakin isn't in control of his emotions at this point.

HevyDevy likes this.
  19. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Im not offended at all. I'm judging by camera action. After all, same Director. Can you look at the AOTC scene?

MJ

20. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    What AOTC scene?

21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014

Ah. I said earlier when Boba says "Dad, look!" and the same camera does a pan from Boba to Jango.

MJ

22. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    It would've killed the mood. The point of the sudden camera snap to Obi-Wan was to show how sudden everything was beginning to unravel.

23. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    What you mean by kill the mood? I'm not seeing what you are getting at. What I see is that Anakin is manipulating the situation to his advantage. Making Padme think that he's got a right to be upset with Obi Wan. Earlier he talks about overthrowing the Emperor and what not. He has no interest with Obi Wan (Jedi) on his side or not. Padme also says "because what you've done, what you've planned to do". Anakin has told her his plans already, so Anakin has already made up his mind regardless.

MJ

24. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Didn't Palpatine say "Every single Jedi, including your friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic" ?

MJ

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Yes, making Palpatine's words a causal factor in Anakin's suspicion of Obi-Wan, which indirectly precipitated his anger-fueled decision to attack Padme. Though again, just to be crystal clear, the responsibility lies with Anakin alone. Though Palpatine is certainly guilty of fomenting extreme violence against the Republic and its leaders...

DarthCricketer likes this.