main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT ROTS as a silent movie

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PodracingSkywalker, Sep 6, 2016.

1. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014

Now, I've never edited something like this before, but hey, not having a job or money, boredom tends to strike. I edited some of the major events of Revenge of the Sith as a silent (albeit, score-only) movie. Any constructive criticism would be welcomed, as I already kinda love editing.

2. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I like the choice of song! Although it seems more like a music video than it does a "silent movie". To go more in the silent movie direction, perhaps you could do an isolated score-only version of a scene? Like you could take tracks from the ROTS soundtrack and then sync them up to the actual movie and then mute the actual movie so that it's just video + Williams music. Just a thought. Might have to go the Vimeo route though if YouTube does an auto-takedown for a continuous scene.

3. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    That would actually be a great idea! One of my favorite moments in the film is score-only (Padme's ruminations). Thank you for the words :)

And yes, maybe silent movie was the wrong thing to label it as haha. I was inspired by the ROTS bonus DVD.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Just about to suggest this..

I would use more ambient tracks from ROTS and use scenes that use the least amount of dialog. That way it smooths better..

Of course I'm just a noob beginner in editing so my suggestions might not add up to what he wants to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theMaestro likes this.
  5. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    I feel like it would work even in action scenes though. Like imagine the end duel in either TPM or ROTS stripped of the sound effects and dialogue with just Duel of the Fates & Battle of the Heroes, respectively. You'd be surprised how well the music + visuals alone can convey what's going on. Or imagine the opening battle in ROTS with just this music (starting with those epic drums) playing with no other audio. I think this kind of thing can work especially well with the original 6 movies since the score was composed to a near-final cut of the movies, thus allowing for a musical composition that very closely matches the action on screen. I don't know if you guys have seen the Despecialized Editions of the OT, but those have included a music-only audio track and it's very interesting to watch the movie with just the music as the audio.

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Fun idea! As a huge silent era film fan, I would take these suggestions a step further and insert dialogue title cards. Not for everything they actually say, but just one or two that sum up the gist of the conversation.

I would almost suggest making it black & white, but the colors are so gorgeous in these films.

Musically, if one were to deviate from Williams, some of Beethoven's late quartets come to mind. Or Martucci is always beautiful.

7. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    "My films operate like silent films, the visuals and the music are where the story is." -Lucas

8. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I'm completely disappointed with this man! Where are the hell are the goddamn intertitles? :mad:

Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist! :p Anyway, I did actually enjoy your video a good deal.

PodracingSkywalker likes this.
  9. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014

That was the inspiration behind me doing this! Also, yeah, maybe a silent movie wasn't the best choice of words for my project hahaha

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i always wished they would put a "score only" audio option to watch to.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Good video!!

12. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Really well done! I liked it a lot. I'm a huge fan of film in most forms, but I have no experience viewing or studying silent films, so I can't offer any critique, but I did like it!

13. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Really good video. I love silent films because they tell their stories visually, which any great film should do because cinema is a visual medium after all. You video shows that George understands this, and is a better director than most people give him credit for.

14. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Thank you all! I may do one for Luke soon. :)

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Charlie Chaplin as Jar Jar Binks, Boris Karloff as Palpatine.

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  16. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    very well made video. But I would include some words between the scenes, I mean the intertitles. It would be perfect. And I really like the music.

17. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Why have you cropped the aspect ratio?

18. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    That's how it was on my computer- may have gotten myself a fullscreen copy haha

19. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    I made a video that's the opening battle from ROTS with a music-only audio track. Seagoat would this be okay to post here? (I'm just checking since I'm not sure if posting a clip like that is allowed, even though its audio has been modified from the actual movie)

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Go right ahead. I look forward to seeing it!

theMaestro likes this.
  21. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    Ok here it is

password: ROTS

I had interest in doing this because this specific version of the Williams music (which was used in the movie) is different to what was available on the soundtrack. This version has these awesome drum beats playing right after the crawl. And I think it fits what Lucas means when he says "silent movie" because the music and visuals alone are able to convey quite a lot of what's going on.

darkspine10 and corinthia like this.
  22. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I wish I could watch the entire PT just like that!!

theMaestro likes this.
  23. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    Yeah that would be a cool way to watch it. Although it may be possible to construct such an audio track. After all, TPM has its Ultimate Edition soundtrack available and that has all the music from the movie right? And AOTC & ROTS have fan-ripped expanded soundtracks available, so it may be possible to create isolated-music versions of them.