main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[RotS] Bail Organa Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by That_Wascally_Droid, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Is it just me, or did Bail just reek of nobility and general kick-***edness?
    In a galaxy full of wretchedness and conspiracy (even the Jedi aren't squeeky-clean anymore), it's nice to know there's someone like Bail running around.
    I 'unno. I'd die easy knowing he's looking after my daughter.
    I wonder how he'd react to Han Solo? LOL!

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I really like his character. Jimmy Smits did a great job with it. He was a walking symbol of civilization in a time of grave chaos.

Great character.
    Very likeable.

Imagine him, Leia, Han and Vader sitting down for dinner. Crazy Thanksgivings.

-Seldon

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I was thinking a lot about the character of Bail Organa last night. I think that if there was any character in the film that I would have liked to have played, it would have been Bail.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

4. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    It was cool, but to me it seemed kind of odd that out of thousands of Senators only he sides with the Jedi. It seemed to me like a larger sense of scale should have been given to the events happening.

5. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Is it just me, or did Bail just reek of nobility and general kick-***edness?

I'd second that motion. =D=

I found his character portrayal very believable:

"I'm sorry, sir, but it's time for you to go."

"And so it is."

6. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I can't agree. While I would agree with you if Star Wars was real life, we must remember that it is a movie. Too many characters would have cluttered the story.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

7. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I love that he knows exactly what to do and doesn't mince matters when the sith hits the fan.
    'Oh crap. Better call Yoda!'
    Also, every delivery was solid. Jimmy is a very welcome addition to Star Wars!

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    He did a wonderful job. It's a shame that we didn't have a much of a chance to get to know the character better.

9. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Indeed. I hope Smits get's to do something with the TV shows! Him and Temuera. Both are generally great guys!

EDIT - My keyboard must hate me! :p

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Jimmy Smits in the TV series, that would be two thumbs up from me. :D

Very cool character, brought the film down to earth in some ways, having a non-Jedi outlook on things.

I would think that most Senators would not be associating with the Jedi even before ROTS - they wouldn't understand the Jedi and would have no reason to make friendships with them.

11. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Wasn't Bail Organa also nominated for supreme chancellor against Palpatine in TPM? How much cooler would it have been for him to be chancellor than Mr. P???

12. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I do wish we could have seen him sit down with Mon Mothma and begin discussing what will become the Rebellion...

<crosses fingers and hopes for him in the TV series> :D

13. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Mr. P, unless Lucas let a mistake slip through in TPM, Bail Organa was not mentioned in that movie. Bail Antilles of Alderaan was nominated with Palpatine.

14. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Bail did come off much cooler than I expected. Mr. Smits did a great job! It would be nice to see him in the TV series...:)

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I had quite high hopes for Bail Organa, since he has seemed like a very likeable character in the EU, after seeing ROTS he's definetly one of my favourite characters. I would love to see him in the TV-series.

16. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    I, too, could go for some good Bail Organa in the TV show.

On a related note, I'd love to get me some Tarkin in the TV show too, especially since I realized upon watching the credits at the end of the movie that said Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram, who played the deliciously villainous Scorpius on Farscape.

17. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Mr. P, unless Lucas let a mistake slip through in TPM, Bail Organa was not mentioned in that movie. Bail Antilles of Alderaan was nominated with Palpatine.

I think that was a slip up on GL's part, from what I understand he was originally going to have Bail Organa in ROTS be Bail Antilles but since there is already a Captain Antilles at the end he decided to change his name...

Can anyone confirm this?

Mr. P

18. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    The script for TPM had Bail Organa speaking in the Senate at one point.

From the official site...

Bail Organa was to have appeared in the Senate sequences of Episode I, though the footage containing him was ultimately edited out of the final film. In the screenplay, Organa seconds Queen Amidala's Vote of No Confidence that topples Supreme Chancellor Valorum's rule. In the resulting power vaccuum, several other senators are nominated to succeed Valorum, including Bail Antilles of Alderaan, who is a separate politician and not intended to be the same character as Bail Organa.

In the excised footage of The Phantom Menace, actor Adrian Dunbar played Organa.

There are some pictures floating around out there somewhere, though I can't find any right now, of Dunbar in the costume he wore for the excised footage.

19. Technocratic

Technocratic Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Here you go, Ep I Bail Organa....

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/ep1/bail_organa_antilles.htm

20. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I also really enjoyed the character of Bail Organa. He simply did the right thing every time he was on screen. He stayed true to his beliefs and did not hesitate when he made his decisions. Smits did an excellent job as well.

21. Muellman

Muellman Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    There are other senators who support the Jedi, and many of them are on a Petition of 2000, or something like that, in the novelization of ROTS. And many of them begin to "disappear" soon after the Emperor makes his speech.
    After the formation of the Empire, Sen. Organa, Sen. Mon Mothma, and Padme agree to openly support the chancellor while secretly forming the precursor to the Alliance. Bail Organa even tells Yoda to have faith in him, even when it seems like he is supporting the Sith.

Edit: Psycho typewriter.

22. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I maintain that GL made one mistake in tpm, and that was that instead of Bail Antilles being nominated for Chancellor, it should have been Bail Organna. It would have served as a nice way to tie the two characters together, on opposite sides. You can tell that Bail does not like the direction of the Republic, at the end of aotc, as he slams his fist; while Palps and the other senator gleam.

Organa truely took a dangerous position. And it would have been great if he was able to have saved Zett Jukassa.

23. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I always knew Bail would be great--I even have an action figure of him!

24. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i really dig bail organa too. his defeat (of sorts) is what caused me to cry in both episode II and III. granted, i cried through half of my first viewing of episode III, but the scene where the troops turn on him is what put me over the edge. great character.

i made a point to get bail's figure too. ^_^

25. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I liked the character.

As far as him being in the TV show...he's up for President on the West Wing...better hope he loses...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.