main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL RotS DVD Release

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DrJawa, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    great now i have to get all my copies out. the boxed orginals the singles the laser discs both versions of thx editions and all that other good stuff. thanks a lot sithy.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    See now you are talking.

Crimeny! Look how many versions.

Lets count.

ANH
    Original Theatrical - is this on video somewhere?
    Theatrical Rerelease(ANH title added along with Ep 4)
    THX Release
    SE #1
    DVD SE

ESB
    Theatrical Release
    THX Release
    SE #1
    DVD SE

ROTJ
    Theatrical Release
    THX Release
    SE #1
    DVD SE

TPM
    Theatrical Release - Last time a SW movie is on VHS
    DVD Release - First time SW is on DVD

AOTC
    Theatrical Release

ROTS
    Theatrical Release

That is 17 individual releases. Let's assume $15 per release, we won't factor in the monetary change namely because I don't have the formula handy. $15 x 17 is 255 bucks. If only 1 million people buy them all that is 255 million bucks. Just wow. I'm sure the real calculations are significantly higher. Anyone know what the sales numbers for the DVDs are? I'd love to calculate this.

He may not be a great director or writer anymore but he knows how to cash in. I gotta give it up to him for that. I wish I had as good an idea.

3. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm actually watching the entire saga, episodes I through VI tomorrow at my friends place downtown.

And I don't even want to try to pull out all the editions I have of these movies, needless to say, it's a lot.

4. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    hopefully i won't get wrist-slapped for even talking about this, but supposedly there's a dvd floating around of a bootleg of the ORIGINAL original theatrical release of SW in 1977, filmed in the THEATER.

i am dying to see that.

on-topic: I like the Sith DVD. watched everything but the commentary and the main doc. these people know how to put out a good DVD.

5. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    OK...this dancing yoda thing is not working on my DVD player....I tried for 20 min yesterday and another 20 today....PISSING ME OFF!!!

6. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ya know - there is a slight chance I have the original release on video. I'll dig, and if/when I find it, I'll let you know.

If I can somehow rip it from VHS to DVD, I'm willing to do that for you all - especially you, goat.

7. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    If I remember correctly, we have the originals on VHS...they were taped off of HBO when I was a kid.....I'll have to ask my folks if they still got that shiznit...

8. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Top of the picture folks...those ARE original release video cassettes. You can't really tell in the picture but old ones don't have "A New Hope" on them in the logos.

The pic shows:

Video---Original Releases(Before Boxed sets were thought of)
    Video---First THX Boxed set of releases (Cleaned up but not SE)
    Video---First Special Edition Boxed Set in Silver Slipcase
    Video---Most recent Special Edition Boxed Set (Did I need another one, no but I was a lunatic collector and the box was cool)
    Video---The Making of Star Wars Video
    Video---From Star Wars to Jedi : The Making of a Saga
    Video---Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
    Video---Ewoks: The Battle For Endor

---Thankfully NO HOLIDAY SPECIAL

DVD---PRE-Special Edition Bootlegs printed from the Laserdisc Edition
    DVD---PRE-Official Release Special Edition Gold versions from Asia
    DVD---Recent release DVD Widescreen Boxed Set
    DVD---Prequel Trilogy Individual copies

I've also got a bootlegged from a hotel chain copy of TPM on Video that I had during the interim before it was released on Video and DVD. And 2 copies of TPM in the special boxed set video that came out with film cells. And a 20-something year old home recorded copy of the original trilogy from either oooooooold casettes or TV.

9. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    thanks jeff--i do have the original on tape, from back when our neighbors across the street knew a guy with a dual-vcr setup, and he made tapes for us of some classics. Star Wars was one...Superman II was another. good times.

(and of course, thanks to the folks at myspleen, i have plenty of the OOT on DVD, and more to come, if the XO Project pays off on its promise...drool)

this video I speak of is apparently somehow an early bootleg, filmed by someone sitting in the theater in 1977. though as I write about it, i realize i'm not sure how that would have been technologically possible.

i need to do more research, clearly.

10. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    In case anyone is interested, here are some pictures from the ROTS DVD release in Ft. Wayne, IN at Mitchell Books.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/whinter_fenlynn/album?.dir=/4337

Sorry it took so long. Been kinda busy.

11. Texxun_raider

Texxun_raider Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    those are good pics. i was lucky enough to pick up the display case in picture #8. looks like you guys had fun.

12. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    Cool. That's a great display!! :cool:

13. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    it was quite a "road trip" indeed...
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.