RoTS Finally on Terrestrial TV?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    ITV1 is showing TPM today at 410 pm. In today's Telegraph TV Planner, the writeup for the film states that 'ITV begins a run of all six Star Wars films.'

If it is indeed going to be on, I wonder how badly they will chop it to show it pre-watershed. Or will they wait until after 9pm to show it in full? (That would probably have it ending around midnight with the ads). When Sky Movies was running it, you had to enter your PIN to see it before 8pm.
  2. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I would imagine they'll start it at 8pm, edit Christopher Lee's head rolling off and then leave the rest alone as the immolation and subsequant scenes will end up being shown after 9pm.
  3. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It's going to be interesting to say the least. ROTS is a very awkward film to show, especially on Saturday night with the likes of X-Factor hogging the listings, so I doubt it'll start at 8:00. And yet it's too violent to be shown at the same time as the other films, but also a bad move to show it at 9:00, given that there are other films to show afterwards.

I'm going to be watching just to see what has been edited from the film.[face_laugh]
  4. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh yea, I forgot about X-Factor. Maybe they'll show it at 8pm on a differant night?
  5. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It looks like its going to be shown at 4:05 on Saturday afternoon. So they will have to do a LOT of cutting I imagine. :eek:
  6. Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'll give them all a miss. I know the old ones off by heart, that and I have the DVDs anyway. The others I'll miss 'cause I don't have a barf bag. Tell a lie, I watched the end part of TPM, just to see if it's as bad as I remember. And you know what? Yep, it was! What with Jar-Jar and that stupid wooden kid going "Yippee!" and coming out with all the other slang right outta The Simpsons, it's enough to put you right off! I'll make do with repeats of Top Gear on Dave I think.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    If they can show Luke getting his hand cut off and Jango getting his head chopped off then I don't see what is so bad abour ROTS.

I'm not even sure what gives it a 12 rating.
  8. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Dooku's head rolling across the floor after being cut off and Anakin burning would be the reasons it was given a 12 rating. The BBFC would differentiate between Jangos helmeted head and Doooku's unhelmeted head.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    The BBFC are a little harsh anyway. I recall they cut out Jango's headbutt on Obi Wan when AOTC was released over here.
  10. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    So the harsh, quite scary death of Windu, Anakin Skywalker burning alive on Mustafar and a graphic operation without anasthetic is something that is perfectly child friendly then. ;) ROTS is a 12 because of the tone of the film, it's dark and horrific, it's a film that is heavily influenced by the hammer horror movies. Even the rise of Vader was a direct throwback to David Prowse and Peter Cushing in Frankenstein.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    And badly done it was, even without the cheezy "Noooooooooo!" part.
  12. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Like I say, it was a DIRECT throwback to Frankenstein. :p You should see some of the hammer horror films, it will increase your appreciation of ROTS ten fold, guaranteed.:D

I'm seriously wondering how ITV are going to air ROTS so early. There is a lot of fairly adult violence that is integral to the plot of the series. After all you can't cut out the operation sequence or the death of Windu otherwise the film becomes a bit of a jumbled mess. Maybe the OT acting as the 'dawn after the darkness' is enough to keep ROTS with minimal cuts.[face_thinking]
  13. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    I wouldn't be suprised if they cut out bits that make the film look weird.
    Channel 4 edits The Simpsons all the time now, which is immensely annoying when you're expecting a line or sequence to happen and it doesn't. If the show is not appropriate for kids, put it on later.

I don't see Channel 4 putting South Park on at 6pm.
  14. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I agree on the horrible editing. It doesn't help that most of the edits cut away in the middle of a sentence.:rolleyes: I would blame it on a PC society if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of racial stereotypes still make it into The Simpsons.

Channel 4 also have a horrible tenedncy to edit the best bits out of films to appease parents. Look at Gremlins' kitchen scene. An awesome bit of 'child-friendly' gory horror that was designed purely to scare the pants off of kids. Because of the fuss made by parents in the 80's that one scene has to be edited out for the film to be aired pre-watershed, otherwise it keeps it's 15 certificate.:rolleyes:

Lets just hope the editors at ITV have a sharper eye than those at C4. *Guffaw*
  15. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    The funny thing is that kids are worse now then back when I was younger and shows like The Simpsons were not edited on BBC2. This PC and cotton wool wrapping of kids has only served to make them turn out worse.

Thank goodness for films aimed at kids that still try to scare them. Coraline being a good example. And the upcoming animated 3D version of A Christmas Carol looks quite creepy, but kids will love it.
  16. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It definately is shocking to see how extremely horrific the violence can be which the children of today are comfortable with watching. There are eight year olds today who happily boast Alien being their favorite film![face_worried] If I watched Alien at the age of eight I would have died from a premature coronary![face_laugh]

It's definately good to see the importance of kid's/family films and tv making a come back all of a sudden, paticularly in the UK thanks to the home grown phenomenons like the new Doctor Who. It's suddenly okay to make kids shiver behind the sofa again, it's the way I was brought up and while I was constantly scared as a little kid I now have fond, nostalgic memories. That includes the moment in ESB when Darth Vader cuts off Luke's hand. That creeped me out as a tot, now it's a fantastic memory. It's quite nice to know that at least one more generation will at some point feel the same way.:)
  17. orn-free-tada Jedi Knight

star 6
    I have an Episode II-related question. I would ask it in the AOTC section but I think that area is kinda dead now ...

My girlfriend and I watched episode II (on DVD, not terrestrial) yesterday. Later on I asked what she thought of it. She liked it but then said "I don't get one bit, though. Dooku and the seperatists were suprised by the fact that the Jedis had a clone army to defend the republic. Jango is the template for the clone army but he is hanging out with the baddies at the end of the film.Why was he even on Geonosis and why didn't he tell them the fact he *knew* an army for the republic was being created?"

I came up with the kinda-lame answer 'maybe he just keeps his nose out of things and does the job he's paid to do'. But this idea has not entered my mind once since the film was released 7 years ago.
    Anyone got a better answer than me?

18. Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I've got a much better answer and one that's probably dead on. GL's lack of writing skills.
  19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    He did what he was paid to do. If you play the Bounty Hunter game, at the end Dooku (as Tyranus) makes Jango the clone daddy offer after Jango defeats Komari Vosa.
    I believe that in the AOTC novel it said that Jango acted as a bodyguard to Dooku and often went to Geonosis. Also I think one of the YA Boba Fett novels mentioned that the Fetts had an apartment on Geonosis.
  20. CrazyOldJedi Force Ghost

star 6
    The rest of the Seperatists (as they were kept in the dark) may have been surprised but I can guarantee you that Dooku was not. Dooku was the one who erased Kamino from the Jedi records, Dooku (as Tyranus) employed Jango to be the template, Dooku (as Sifo-Dyas) was the "Jedi" who placed the order for the clones in the first place.
  21. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Dooku was only acting surprised. Secretly he knew exactly what was going on, seeing as he recruited Jango to be Clone template.

Basically the entire Clone War is a ruse to allow Palpatine to take over the Universe. Dooku almost certainly knew the Jedi were going to arrive with the Clones on Geonosis before Yoda actually showed up with them.

As far as Jango goes he was recruited by Dooku so its reasonable to assume he knows Dooku is playing both sides, but obviously he wouldn't have known of Palpatines involvement. He uses the Tyrannus cover when Obi-Wan questions him, but he almost certainly knows Tyrannus = Dooku. I guess Dooku told him some story or other about what he was up to, but at the end of the day Jango wouldn't care as long as gets payed at the end of his assignment/s.

22. CrazyOldJedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't think so, Dooku had had no contact with Kamino since he placed the original order. Apart from an early warning system in the orbit of Geonosis he would have no idea that the Clones were on the way.
  23. orn-free-tada Jedi Knight

star 6
    Cheers. that's actually what I thought but I got confused because I got thinkin about the book 'Labrynth of Evil'. In the Labrynth of Evil Novel, didn't actual Syfo Dyas (SP?) place the order for the clones in secret, and erase the data on the Jedi archives?? It's been a while since I've read it but that was the impression I was under ( I better read it again, now).

Cannon is messy!
  24. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    He would have been in regular contact with Palpatine/Sidious though, just like Maul was.

EU may have come up with differant theories, but I stick by whats shown in the films and in the movie its actually quite clear that Dooku/Tyrannus and Palpatine/Sidious were behind everything.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    The whole Clone Wars I think was just a test by Palpatine to determine the stronger side he could then use to launch a takeover of the Galaxy.

I don't know what Jango thought his Clones were being used for, I don't think he cared. He can play both sides and he couldn't give a monkey's which side won seeing as he would likely still get work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.