main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT ROTS gets some love on the online starwars.com poll!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Same as the poll here in "the Saga" forums, ROTS comes in 2nd to the TESB for favorite Star Wars film among fans. That seems to go against the consensus wisdom that the OT films are universally more beloved than any of the PT films.

Here's the link: http://www.starwars.com/news/poll-which-star-wars-movie-is-your-favorite

TESB is the clear favorite with 42% of the vote. ROTS edges out ROTJ 20% to 18%. ANH comes next with 12%, and ATOC and TPM round out the six with 4% each. (Poor guys!)

The poll has 72,000 respondents, so with numbers that high, these results will probably remain pretty stable.

The poll is still open, so make sure to vote!

(Before the guys from 4chan hijack it and make Lego Star Wars Droid Tales the favorite!)

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yay! Go ROTS. I find this film both overrated and severely underrated, if that makes sense. All I can say is if you don't consider it truly Star Wars, you are really missing out.

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wish AOTC and TPM could get some more love, but I'm happy for ROTS.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    While it is nice to see the prequels get some fan respect, they picked the wrong one! Episode One belongs in place of Revenge! :p

Alexrd and MOC Yak Face like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think there is any consensus wisdom about SW films. Good for RotS this poll but personally polls mean nothing to me.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My second favourite and my mom's favourite. Yay!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    It should be number one.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ROTS is an amazing movie and an outstanding piece of art...

I'm pleased it's still so widely regarded amongst SW fandom...

Surprised that ANH is so low...

I rate them:

1. ESB

2. ROTS

3. ANH

4. AOTC

5. ROTJ

6. TPM

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Glad to see that Revenge of the Sith is the second favorite Star Wars movie among fans. It is also my favorite SW movie (sometimes it's between my first and second favorite SW movie).

But will these results remain the same after the release of The Force Awakens? Anthony Daniels, the actor who plays C3-P0, made a bold prediction a few month ago by saying that The Force Awakens will be much better than The Empire Strikes Back: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/C-3P...ht-Better-Than-Empire-Strikes-Back-68030.html

Who wants to bet?

But I'm surprised by the performance of A New Hope. Fourth place?!? It is also my favorite SW movie (sometimes, I think that it even outranks Revenge of the Sith in my favorites SW movies list). Why doesn't it get the same amount of love as Revenge of the Sith or The Empire Strikes Back?

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've often wondered about this.

I suspect it's mainly because of the first act (just following the droids around) which, certainly for modern audiences, is rather slow.

There has always been a view that the move doesn't really "get going" until Han Solo appears...

Though I should add, I don't agree with that view at all!

There's probably some people who knock it down their lists purely because it was directed by George Lucas... And we all know Star Wars happened despite George, not because of him (Gary, Marcia and Alan Ladd Jr were more important to Star Wars success than George wen't they? ;) ) Sure they would be in a minority, but in a poll such as this would probably make a fairly significant difference.

darth ladnar likes this.
  11. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The scene in which we follow the droids on the desert, on such "a desolated place" as C3-P0 said, devoid of any life-forms, makes me feel of the results of the Clone Wars and the other events that occurred in Revenge of Sith: the rise of the Empire, the duel on Mustafar, etc... In short: the devastation after the war. After watching Revenge of the Sith for the first time and watching the movies in their chronological order, I appreciated more that first act in A New Hope.

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    All I have to say about this thread is this:

shame about AOTC.

The most underrated of all the star wars films.

13. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Darth Sequel Trilogy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 13, 2015
    Because there millions of fans of the original and don't like any of the sequels or prequels and probably don't bother to vote on this.

The bottom line is ANH is the highest grossing SW movie, and was the highest grossing SE, and I suspect it would gross the most of the 6 if they were released again.

What hurts it is it sticks out like a sore thumb as its now the #4 movie when you watch it 1-6. There are so many contradictions when you watch it as part of the Saga, but its a wonderful movie when its watched as the standalone that it was in 1977. Trust me, everyone I know loves ANH, but not everyone I know loves the remaining 5 movies. That's what happens when it goes from the 1st movie, to smack dab #4 in the new order.

14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    A New Hope isn't the highest grossing SW movie, it is The Phantom Menace which has passed the one billion mark on the box office after its 3D release.

To be honest and completely fair, even if I love A New Hope, it's not everyone who like Star Wars or the original movie. At his released, not every critics were unanimous about it when it was first released in 1977:

And the most ironic thing is that it was written on the T-shirt that George Lucas wore when filming The Phantom Menace. Ironic because it's reminding people that critics towards Star Wars, whether it was in the 1980's or during the 2000's haven't changed very much when the OT and the PT were respectively released:

[​IMG]

Critics can still be very severe or harsh against the original movies, even if they are now part of popular culture, the OT was theatrically released for the first time in China a few weeks ago since it was under the Cultural Revolution back in 1970's and 1980's, and critics like the one below weren't really impressed by A New Hope:

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/original-star-wars-trilogy-screens-in-china-for-121694191287.html

15. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm surprised ROTJ beat ANH honestly.

I'm glad to see ROTS get some love, even if I and II are still low on the list.

Saga Explorer and DuckHunt like this.
  16. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Jul 13, 2015
    SW Saga Fan. When you adjust for inflation, its the highest grossing SW movie.

And of course you can find a negative review about any movie, but overall it was universally loved. Heck, I found a review of Rocky 1 saying it was a souless movie, yet it was still universally loved.

17. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Jul 13, 2015
    It's ironic that Lucas made the most SE changes to ANH cause he wanted it to fit better with the PT movies, and now its less popular then its ever been among SW fans.

Way to go Lucas and hurt the 1 OT movie you wrote & directed!

18. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Didnt Lucas write all of them? But with help? Se's all the way!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Jul 13, 2015
    Kasdan/Brackett(credited) wrote ESB, and Kasdan wrote ROTJ. ANH was the only Lucas wrote himself.

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I never vote for polls online and rarely go for the clickbait about favorites or rankings. I know what I like; I don't really care how the others think.

21. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

This is a little off. Brackett is credited because she died during film and GL wanted her family to get the royalties. GL tossed her draft in the rubbish bin. He wrote the 1st draft, and it was pretty close to the final product. Kasdan added a few scenes and improved a lot of the dialogue (and then GL changed Kasdan's dialogue a little). Kerscher also added a couple scenes during filming, and because they ran behind schedule they had to drop a few scenes of Luke actually being a competent student on Dagobah.

Kasdan and GL share the screenwriting credit for RTOJ, and GL got story credit. With ROTJ, it was much more collaborative, with GL writing a draft and Kasdan re-writing and the two passing it back and forth from draft to draft (IIRC), but GL ultimately got the final say about what stayed in and what would be left out.

I doubt Anthony Daniels has even seen copy of the entire screenplay, much less the rough cut they have now. Really, with TFA, I think we have to wait some time, until people have an opportunity to watch the film 50 times. Then we'll see how well it holds up among adult fans.

I also think it's highly unlikely that it would surpass the OT in the minds of most fans, mostly because most OT fans aren't 10-years-old anymore. Maybe 10-year-olds today will be able to give it a fair assessment 15 years from now, so I guess we'll have to wait till then to know for sure!

22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Thanks for committing those comments to the board for posterity. Definitely puts things in perspective.

Star Wars: not a universally-loved movie, folks.

What's really neat about ANH is just how sort of contained and sketchy the film is.

Those adjectives aren't meant as an insult. But what I mean is, you can pair it up with any of the other movies, and it seems quite boxed-in and naive.

Which is also what makes it special. It is relatively unencumbered by seismic revelations or fancy thematic footwork of any kind.

It mostly plays as an action comedy: an enlarged adventure skit (more or less as intended) about two doddering robots -- near-worthless items of scrap -- who unwittingly light the touchpaper for a major coming-of-age, inter-galactic resurrection parable.

Seeing the saga in such an innocent, child-like, inchoate state is oddly compelling, all these years later, and I think it gives ANH a quiet power all its own. It is not only unique amid the saga, but unique among a surfeit of loud, fanciful, exposition-dense behemoths, often cynically designed with cheap and easy sequels in mind.

The way that ANH is brash but underplayed really works to its advantage, in my opinion. There will likely never be another film quite like it. People just can't decode its aimless yet focused quality. Nor can they replicate the inherent humour and energy of the movie: wonderful achievements still.

As for ROTS topping the poll...

Yes! Terrific.

It's clearly the most dramatic and emotional of the six films: sweeping, operatic, and technically dazzling.

All the Star Wars movies deserve top place, in my opinion. But I'd probably put the middle installments there, if forced to pick from each trilogy.

The middle pieces, in my view, are more artistically "out there", and validate the surrounding ones. They bring gleaming thematic grandeur to the whole affair.

But ROTS and ANH also make a good pair for being the start and end of the journey; and, pushed up alongside each other, they create a unique frisson.

Star Wars is about many things, including the contrasts. And I don't think you can get that much of a bigger contrast between the booming, Dantean tragedy of ROTS, and the inward innocence and inviting simplicity of ANH.

Star Wars remains the best.

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^yeah, I don't either. In fact, when I think of ANH, it's really the first act that I think of as what I like the most in that film!

24. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    There is no way anything having to do with the prequel trilogy could be labeled overrated. Sometimes I wish it WAS considered overrated, since that would mean it would be receiving more love than it does in reality.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Why do these things always turn into opinion threads, personal lists, ROTJ bashing out of nowhere or both? Isn't this supposed to be about ROTS and what's good about it?