ROTS - How Do You Rate It After Seeing It?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 18, 2005.

?

ROTS - How Do You Rate It After Seeing It?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
Zero Stars 1 vote(s) 0.6%
One Star 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Two Stars 1 vote(s) 0.6%
Three Stars 4 vote(s) 2.5%
Four Stars 25 vote(s) 15.3%
Five Stars 42 vote(s) 25.8%
8 Billion Stars 90 vote(s) 55.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ahh! Good point Lars! You've rectified that concern for me!
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    8 billion stars.

Agree with Mr. P, probably the best SW movie ever, but sooooo hard to watch.

Keep in mind, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and I still teared up at a couple of parts.

I had a similar reaction to storm - I feel overwhelmed and depressed right now, it's hard to believe a movie where you know the outcome can still affect you emotionally.

And I think Mr. Lucas must be given credit for making us cheer for Anakin NOT to choose the Dark Side.

I'll write up my "immediate" review and then a better one tomorrow.

Happy ROTS Day, everybody.
  3. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Even though it still might have led to the Dark Side, I found myself wishing Anakin would have cut Palps' head off when he confronted him.

Ending Palps there would have ended all that future suffering... Padmé's death... everything.

Maybe.
  4. Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Knight

star 2
    I voted 4 stars because I would probably give it 4.5. It is amazing, I can't really think of any other film in which everything goes so poorly but is so good at the same time. And within that paradox you have some of the truly funniest parts of the entire PT in the most depressing movie of all six!!

ANH - 5
    TESB - 5
    ROTJ - 4
    TPM - 3.0
    AOTC - 3.5
    ROTS - 4.5
  5. zenwave Force Ghost

star 1
    Incredible . . . GL has given us the masterpiece of the Star Wars saga!

Aside from the clunky bit of dialogue between P & A on the balcony ("I love you", "No, I love you") I can't find fault with it.

Ewan and Hayden do a great job of conveying a relaxed, playful camaraderie in the beginning, which makes the end even more tragic.

We'll never look at Darth Vader like we used to.
  6. lexu Force Ghost

star 6
    I think I'd rate this one my second favorite SW film after ESB, just because with ESB you still left with some hope. ROTS just ripped your heart out. :p That said, it definitely delivered much better than the first two.

Edit: Major props to Ian and Ewan. The two of them made the film. I thought Hayden was quite good, as well, not flat or unconvincing at all, despite what other reviews are saying. Even Natalie was alright. (Of course, there were still a few of those iffy lines (it's Lucas after all), but the actors did what they could. :p)
  7. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    The story is over, the saga is complete.

And Lucas, once again, did it all in a way I never expected. Seriously... Lucas always manages to do that...And it is so much better than what I would have thought of.
  8. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Four or maybe 4.5 out of five. Not perfect, but overall quite good. More consistent than the other prequels, definitely.
  9. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's not perfect. But, I don't believe its imperfections are anywhere close to a star's worth, and mostly involve what isn't there (like the very shortened Force ghost explanation), and well as some pacing that, while odd, wasn't actually bad per se.

The first hour or so of the movie is solid. It's a very well-done piece of cinema, with some parts that go above and beyond (the opera house scene, for example). It's the "ANH" of the movie; not to disparage ANH, but while an enjoyable and good film, it's not particularly deep. The second hour, though, is simply a masterpiece. And it's enough for me to give it five stars.

But because I'm on an adrenaline high, I gave it 8 billion for kicks. :D
  10. beedubew Jedi Knight

star 2
    I voted 4 because I didn't think it was perfect. I would have given it a 9 out of 10 so that means 4.5 fits well for me.

Same minor gripes I had elsewhere. Really liked the story though. Don't understand what people are talking about regarding wooden acting. Personally I thought Ewan and Ian were great. Hayden was really good. And except for some lines, I thought Natalie was good too. However, Yoda looked more real than ever and I thought his "performance" was outstanding.
  11. Darth_Sailant Jedi Master

star 1
    "8 billion stars" from me...

I've just returned home from the first screening, and I feel so emotional. Frankly, I'm astounded at just how good it was, as I felt sure that my prior expectations were too high - They weren't!

I'm not interested in winging over any minor loose ends, as they are perfectly acceptable (to me) considering the time span between Episodes 3 and 4.

Wow!

I'll write a much more precise review after my second viewing, which is in less than three hours! :)
  12. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    TheUnknownSyn posted on 5/18/05 3:16pm

/>

That's my logic too./>/>
  13. JediSara Force Ghost

star 5
    8 billion. I love it! :D
  14. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    I give it 8 Billions Stars!!! I think it was a great movie and the best one out of the series.
  15. thenink Jedi Knight

star 2
    8 billion stars for me!

Watching this film last night left me with a very sad, heavy-hearted feeling.....not just becuase it is the last Star Wars movie, but becuase of the tragedy that this movie is steeped in.

I will never view the OT in the same light again!

AWESOME MOVIE! THANK YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!
  16. joehahn000 Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    3 stars.

Too many plot holes, seriously annoying, music out of place, Darth Vader has feelings, too many bits cut that were vital, lack of reason for Anakin going over (you don't swear to be evil just to save a life), etc. Could have been much better.
  18. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    Plot holes?

There were none that I saw.

As for his turning: Episode II sorta helps out there yya know.

But most important: Anakin felt that Mace LIED to him. Remember Anakin didn't see the Emperor kill the other jedi: Nor did he see them try to arrest him.

He only saw Palpatine begging for his life pathetically... And when Anakin TRIED to get Mace to do the "right thing" Mace went to TRY t o kill Palpy Thus Mace proved EVERYTHING that PPalpatine argeued.
  19. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Anakin and Mace have been at each other since Day 1. Watch the Council scenes in TPM and you'll see the groundwork. Mace was an ass to Anakin right from the start.
  20. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Just saw it.

4 stars. Best of the prequels easily. But I had some problems with it.

Spoilers

Some of the Jedi Council Members went out like punks. Kashyyyk was almost as short as it was in the trailer. Some dialogue felt off, though not nearly as much as in the other 2.

There were spoilers posted earlier in the thread. Mods if this is supposed to be 100% spoiler free I apologize and please delete the blacked out comments.
  21. darthpigskin Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just returned from seeing it.

My head is spinning! I think my jaw was dropped open for half of the movie!

Now I can once again say that Lucas is a Genius!

One of my favorites was the Windu/Palpy/Anakin scene in the office. There were some MAJOR flashbacks (or flash forwards) to ROTJ! You can totally see why Vader had compassion for his son!

Another thing that made me smile was the sound effects. The hissing sound after the sealing of the Helmet (same as ESB) and even the little scootie droids (like the ones Chewie growled at in ANH).

Loved the way that Windu was actually kicking Palpy's butt! ... By the way... Earlier in this thread, the "changing of the face" was discussed. I actually think that he wasn't changed by the lighning. Rather, he was vitally weakened and could no longer hold the deceptive "pretty face". Hmmm. Then again, why didn't he go back to it later in the film?... ok... I've just proven my point wrong.... Nevermind!

Anyway... yes, I gave it a 8billion star rating. But, as mentioned by others, I'll have to see it again to give it a real honest rating.
  22. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave it four stars. There's a hell of alot more eye candy but I haven't decided if overall I like it more than AOTC yet. No way it beats TESB.
  23. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    I gave it a 4. It was pretty good. A lot of the special effects looked bad and they distracted me. Plus I didn't feel very emotional while watching it, which kinda surprised me.
  24. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I need to see it more times before I rate it. It is so intense, dark and emotionally charged that I can't form a final rating. However, I don't feel it is enjoyable as some people rave. It isn't a film that I enjoy watching, while there is improvements being made.

I can't form an opinion now.
    I'll be back later.

-Seldon
  25. marajadebean Jedi Knight

star 2
    Storm, so true! I thought about that scene in TPM when Mace and Yoda were questioning Anakin's power with the Force a lot last night. That one stare Anakin gives Mace, like a little badass kid with a serious chip on his shoulder. Seemed pretty much inevitable that Anakin would be the one to off Mace, or should I say, at least wound him with Palpy doing the rest. I think that scene floored me more than any other ones. I need to see it again to get a better overall feel.

I have a feeling, that even with time, this will be my favorite part of the saga. Notice I did say saga Storm, not just episode. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.