main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTS Hyperdrive question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Seer, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    Can someone tell me how Sidious is able to get from Coruscant to Mustafar so quickly? He senses his apprentice is in danger, and... voila! Hes right there after Anakin gets burned. Perhaps Anakin was lying on the embankment for a long time, but in the novel it says Obi-Wan left because he saw Sidious coming. So either that was one looong lightsaber duel or Sidious's ship has a reeally fast hyperdrive. Whats the deal with that?

2. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    My point exactly... ;)

3. Short_Round

Short_Round Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    How far is Coruscant from Mustafar?

Is Mustafar beyond the Outer Rim?

4. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    Its pretty far I think... Far enough.

5. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    In films and novels, all hyperdrive/warpdrive/super-speed engines have a miraculous quality called "plot-drive" which allows them to travel at a speed equal to what is necessary for the advancement of the plot, while utterly disregarding logic or previously established travel times.

6. CaelumExternus

CaelumExternus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    I think that just because it appears to happen so quickly, doesn't mean it does. I think the Yoda-Sidious fight occured before the Anakin-Obi-Wan fight. After all, Padme/Obi-Wan reach Mustafar when they appeared to have left after Anakin completed his task there, and he was still there. I don't think he was just waiting there for no reason, I think the stuff isn't necessary happening at the same time even though it is shown at the same time.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not to mention that we don't know how fast Sidious' shuttle is either. Maul's infiltrator managed to reach tattooine from the core in less than a day's time on Tatooine; Palpatine's shuttle may be similarly fast.

Not to mention that we have no idea how long it was between Obi departing and Palpatine arriving.

A similar assumption would be that Luke learned everything he did in TESB and the Falcon arrived on Cloud City from Hoth in the space of forty or so minutes.

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    so why was Vader waiting on Mustafar afte he 'took care of' the separatists? was palpatine supposed to come pick him up? why couldn't he take his own ship home?

-- unless something happened to his ship.. did padme's ship land on the same landing pad that anakin landed his starfighter on? it would have been unfortunate to have his ship get impounded for not paying the local parking fee.

9. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    "I think the Yoda-Sidious fight occured before the Anakin-Obi-Wan fight."

That would explain it... But then why does Sidious sense that his apprentice is in danger?

10. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    he senses Obi-wan going to Mustafar, and knows Obi-wan's intent and recognizes that Anakin might not be enough for him.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Yoda-Sidious fight occurs at the same time as Anakin-Obi-wan: Anakin is instructed by Sidious to shut down the droids just as Padme is arriving on Mustafar.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think that the point of an impossibly-fast propulsion system is to allow it to be as fast as it's needed to be. ;)

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Umm... wormhole? Warp speed? Infinate improbability drive?

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Sidious is a Time Lord. They have certain blue boxes . . .

15. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    A more important question, I think, is whether or not that was a 'fresher Obi-Wan hides out in. At long last, are we seeing the missing Star Wars plumbing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.