main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] Lama Su & The Clone Soldiers

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Ghost_Jedi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    One thing that I wondered about rots is Order 66. Were the Clones pre-programmed w/ Order 66. Did Lama Su program w/ this? What were her reactions while she sat accross from Obi-Wan? It seemed so natural for the clones to begin the execution of the order. A simple nod of the head.

So what do you think happened w/the clones in regards to Order 66?

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    FYI: Lama Su's a dude.

Personally, I thought that was one of the creepiest parts. I always expected Sidious to say something like "Kill the Jedi", but this was much more sinister. I interpreted it that they've had Order 66 programmed into them all along, ever since creation. Basically, the clones themselves were the trap, and all this time while fighting alongside the Jedi they've had this directive in their minds. It's almost inevitable; Sidious' line "The time has come" shows that this has been part of the plan all along, and the Jedi lost simply by taking the army. It lends a really sinister air to the Kamino sequences in AOTC, too, that they're consciously making the weapons that will destroy the Jedi (which doesn't seem out of the question for beings as amoral as the Kaminoans; they simply do what they're paid to do).

In regards to the nods, if I can use the word creepy again, it was. Kashyyyk, for example: Commander Gree (I think) simply nods to the other clone, and he immediately knows what they're about to do. That definitely suggests it was built into them from the beginning.

3. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
    If you watch the Kamino sequence in AOTC, there is a scene where you see the clones using computers. I'd assume that they were provided with all of the information they needed on tactics, republic technology, protocol, and any "special orders" that Palpatine requested.

4. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    There's also a certain crepiness to Jango's "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi" line in AOTC, too. He himself is killed not long after, but legions of "Jango"s will wreak havoc on the whole order a few years afterwards...

5. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    I was discussing this with my friend a few days ago.

I believe that the clones were programmed to accept any order from a superior and if the orders were conflicting, follow the chain of command. Since Palpatine is the Commander in Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, any order from him is final. So Palpatine set up Order 66 during the course of the clone wars as a "contingency plan in the event of a Jedi revolt". All clones were informed and since they never forget anything, this order was locked in their memory until it was put to use. When the order came to execute it, they had to do so since they were "programmed" to follow the highest the chain of command.

6. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    They were probably not even aware that the order existed within them until it was activated. I can see that, it would also protect them against the Jedi feeling the betrayal coming. It was very chilling how matter of factly they simply executed the order. No hesitation, just action.

7. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I agree with Lomion. It was probabaly implanted subconsciously. Order 66 was like a key word bringing to their conscious thought.

8. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    There's also a certain crepiness to Jango's "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi" line in AOTC, too. He himself is killed not long after, but legions of "Jango"s will wreak havoc on the whole order a few years afterwards...

You know what is also creepy?

From AOTC:

Jango (To Obi-Wan on Kamino): How do you like your army?

Obi-Wan: I look forward to seeing them in action.

Jango: They'll do their job well.

Woah....think about it! :-D

9. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    Fantastic pickup, thenink. You're totally right. I always thought there was something a little "off" about that scene, and how confident Jango was. If he was in on the long-term plan--and considering his flight to Geonosis and subsequent defense of Dooku during the battle, he very well may have been--the whole Obi/Jango conversation takes on a new, and terrifying, meaning.

And just as an aside, as far as how much the Kaminoans knew about Order 66: It seems to me that Sideous would want to keep that knowledge as secret as possible, so I personally would doubt that Lama Su or anyone outside of the "inner circle" knew about it. Perhaps Dooku gave the "software" for the order to Jango, who then integrated it into the clones' training program himself? It would stand to reason that if Jango is an experienced warrior and was chosen to be the template for the clones, he might have also had input into their training. Just a suggestion as to how it might have happened...

10. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Diving into the novel yet again, it's says that Cody was programmed with 66 before he left the cloning jar.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Now that is creepy!

12. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Creepy, yes, but so perfect :D

13. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I think Lama Su spoke about how they'd take any order without question.

That is definitely creepy though.

14. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm kinda surprised this topic doesn't have more discussion, given all the 'who is Sifo-Dyas' debate and all. We were told in the commentary of Episode II that we'd find out who erased the archives for Kamino and who ordered the clones in the first place...perhaps we could say that Count Dooku erased the archives and likely ordered the clones, but I want an 'official' explanation. :confused:
    As for the clones being programmed with Order 66 before they get out of the cloning cylinder...that seems as likely an explanation as anything I've heard. Did Lama Su and the Kaminoans know about it? I really doubt it, honestly, because I'm sure word would have gotten out somehow. [face_shhh]
    That's my two cents.
    Yoda

15. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I haven't read the novel, but I've skimmed it and heard from other people that it has a lot of inconsistencies with the movie (due to changes with editing once the novel was written, etc) so I'm skeptical about the whole Order 66 thing being programmed in the test tube. The most obvious connection, as Patton pointed out, would be the line from AOTC about them obeying any order without question...and then the Chancellor with emergency powers giving an order...and they obey it with cold blooded, unquestioning efficiency. Just my take on this issue.

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I find that alot better myself truth be told. But the novel is still interesting for details, should you choose to use them in that way. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.