main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG ROTS Novelisation

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by bluebereft, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluebereft

bluebereft Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Today is the 2nd of April.

In the wee hours of the morning - which would be about 8 for me - I trooped out the house to hitch a ride with my parents to Orchard. They were heading for California Fitness. I was heading for the beginning - of the end.

Yep. That would be Borders. But somehow, I just couldn't see the familiar words 'Revenge of the Sith' jump out at me from anywhere. Sure, I saw some of those picture books. But I didn't want mere picture books! I wanted the story, the final apex of all Lucas has been working to, the culmination of my long wait.

I wandered off, disappointed, to Popular and Kinokuniya. They were still closed. Irked, I returned to Borders, only to meet with a mystified reply from a staff assistant.

I gave up, and bought Labyrinth of Evil. (And that was about all the money I had brought)

With nothing to do after expecting so much, I strolled through town, and ended up in Kinokuniya. I first caught sight of 'The Making of the Revenge of the Sith', and later, some other companion books. But as I made my way out of the bookstore, a familiar bookcover caught my eye - one that I had gazed upon so often, and so longingly, on the internet; one that I had come this far to find.

I called my dad to ask if he could come by after his workout to buy me the book. He agreed, and so I settled into a snug corner in the children's section to read.

The beginning of the end.

And now, the end has come.

I shan't spoil anything. PM me for whatever you may want to know.

But it was good stuff. Pretty darn good stuff.

[Now, I conclude the first post I shall make this year, the first post since a long long time ago. Hope to stay.]

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I had just gotten The Visual Dictonary & Making Book at Kino today. Will see if I should go on a Scanning Spree soon to be sent to a particular website. :p

3. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    DE - Does the Visual Dictionary contain any spoilers? If yes then I'll only get it after I've watched the movie.

Spoiler Free! :)

4. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    OK, looks like I'm gonna have to visit some bookstores tomorrow, and see what I can get... I already got Labyrinth Of Evil last weekend at MPH Parkway Parade, but I haven't started reading it yet... yeah, me bad!! :p

Gosh, it's great to be back and have everything in full swing again! :)

5. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Jazz, if you wanna be spoiler free I recommend that you DO NOT get The Visual Dictionary, 'cos it's pretty dangerous, if you ask me... LOL! :p

I went shopping at various bookstores today, like I said I would, and here's what I saw at each place...

MPH Parkway Parade
    - The Making Of ROTS... $38.85 (not including the 20% discount currently ongoing)
    - ROTS Hardcover Novel... $39.90
    - Labyrinth Of Evil Hardcover Novel... $39.90 (there was a 20% discount when I bought it last weekend, but I'm not sure if it's still on discount now)

Kinokuniya Ngee Ann City
    - The Making Of ROTS... $38.85
    - ROTS Visual Dictionary... $35.18
    - ROTS Comic... $20.11
    - Clone Wars Comic Vol. 1... $23.05
    - Clone Wars Comic Vol. 2... $20.61
    - Clone Wars Comic Vol. 3... $23.05
    - Clone Wars Comic Vol. 4... $26.13

Borders
    - Star Wars Trilogy Hardcover Novel... $46.95
    - Labyrinth Of Evil Hardcover Novel... $46.95
    - Inside The Worlds Of Star Wars AOTC... $35.20
    - ROTS Incredible Cross Sections... $27.95
    - ROTS Visual Dictionary... $27.95
    - Mini Jigsaw Puzzle... $2.95 (at the front cashier counters)
    - Double-sided Jigsaw Puzzle... $40-odd (can't recall exact amount now)
    - Star Wars OT Monopoly Board Game... $110.95

OK, I hope that helps :)

I got my copy of the ROTS Visual Dictionary and the ROTS Incredible Cross Sections today... and boy, am I one happy camper! :p

Cheers,
    JediJean

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    > The Making Of ROTS... $38.85 (not including the 20% discount currently ongoing)

Nooooooooooo!!!!! :eek: I gotten mine at Kino and only gotten the usual 10% off for members.

Jean, you forget The Art of ROTS at Kino going for $60+. ;) Not that much costume/armor stuffs but it seems that the Author had taken the cue from the LOTR ones so had included some juicy photos, close-ups shots and design sketch of several costumes (including Padme's) and Armors. I wish I can afford it. :(

7. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok Jean, no books for me till after the movie!

I would like to get the Art of ROTS some time too...btw does anyone know where to get the Art of TPM? I can't seem to find it anymore..

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I hasn't seen it anywhere either but with ROTS coming out, I bet Kino and/or Borders is gonna bring them in tho' pricetag might be an issue.
    Eg: For my LOTR-FOTR Art Book gotten last year, I had to pay SGD60+ at Kino as it was ordered directly from an overseas distributor compared to the other 2 movies ones which came from a local distributor.

Even Kino have the whole set of the SW Visual Dictionary now over at the Kids' Books Section as they had brought in new stocks.

9. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Borders also has a selection of Visual Dictionaries and other DK books from the OT, TPM and AOTC.

And oh yes, The Art of ROTS is selling at Kino Ngee Ann City for $61.95, if I remember correctly :)

10. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    For the Art of TPM, I think it's much more harder to find because the publisher probably doesn't want to reprint it anymore. If I recall right, during AOTC, the Art of TPM was already gone. DK, in contrast likes to reprint (more $$$) and so is easier to find.

11. sanjaystones

sanjaystones Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2005
    Has Borders set up a Star Wars section in their store like they usually do before the movies hit? Then it would be easier to select the stuff you want.

12. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    For Art of TPM they have it at bras basah Jazz, saw it a couple of months back. They usually sell it cheaper with a 15%-10% discount if u r a student there.

13. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    lukedecop - Really? which shop?

14. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi guyz,

I was shopping around yesterday, and here's what I came across...

MPH Citilink
    - The Making Of ROTS... $38.85 (not including the 20% discount currently ongoing)
    - ROTS Hardcover Novel... $39.90 (not including the 20% discount currently ongoing)
    - ROTS Visual Dictoinary... $38.15
    - ROTS Incredible Cross Sections... $38.15

MPH Citilink was also in the process of setting up a Star Wars section, displaying the Star Wars paperback novels.

As for Borders, the last time I was there, a few Star Wars titles are being displayed at the very front of the store, and behind the cashier counter that is in front of the store... that's about it. I guess they will have a better Star Wars section when the movie actually comes out. Right now, things still look pretty normal, not much hype there, if you ask me.

For the moment, the latest additions to my bookshelf are complete... :)
    - Labyrinth of Evil Hardback
    - ROTS Hardback
    - The Making Of ROTS
    - ROTS Visual Dictionary
    - ROTS Incredible Cross Sections
    - Inside The Worlds of AOTC
    --> Wanted to get this some time back, but after awhile, I couldn't find it, so I decided to wait till Episode 3 was approaching to finally get it.
    - Star Wars Trilogy 25th Anniversary Edition Hardback
    --> Another title I wanted to get for some time, but hey, better late than never, eh?? :p

I'm not sure yet if I should get the ROTS comics, or the Clone Wars graphic novels... am still considering them... ok, a little off-topic here, but I may also wanna get a Master Replica lightsaber... probably Luke's... still not sure yet though.

Cheers,
    JediJean

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Waaahhh!!!!! So much to buy and yet so little money. :(

16. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah man..I wish I had your cash! :)

17. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi guyz,

FYI...

MPH Citilink is selling The Art of Star Wars at $61.95, and there's a 20% discount on that price.

Borders is selling the ROTS Hardcover novel at $31.95 each.

Also, Borders is having a promo right now.
    You stand a chance to WIN A FORCE FX LIGHTSABER, either Darth Vader's or Luke Skywalker's, worth almost $230 each!!

How to participate??
    Just buy any DK Star Wars books, and attach the receipt to the entry form.

You can get the entry form from the Information Counter... there is a catch though... you have to be able to answer the question on the entry form... but I guess the answer can easily be found in the DK books... so get your DK books from Borders TODAY!!

Closing date for Force FX Lightsaber promotion:
    18 Jun 2005.

I guess if you intend to bring the lightsaber with you to the movie screenings, then there's no point waiting to win one.

Of course, if you win it, you won't have to actually buy one out of your own pocket! :)

Cheers,
    JediJean

18. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    To add to jedijeans', TIMES also have the contest thingie, but i doubt the chances of winnings are big. No harm trying tho..

19. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Actually, there are a few bookstores also having this same WIN A FORCE FX LIGHTSABER promotion, as I believe it is a promotion that is being offered by DK, and not by the bookstores... I don't have the list of bookstores with me now though... will check when I get home tonight and post it here :)

20. wmgan

wmgan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    I know that MPH has the promotion too...

21. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi guyz,

Sorry to keep you waiting... I got back really really late last night, and was too tired to get online.

The WIN A FORCE FX LIGHTSABER promotion is on at the following bookstores:
    - Borders bookstore
    - Kinokuniya bookstores
    - MPH bookstores
    - Times bookstores
    - Popular bookstores

Good Luck, Everyone!! :)

Cheers,
    JediJean

22. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Don't you think it's weird that an ROTS Novelization thread like this doesn't have any comments about the novel itself?

I thought Matthew Stover's poetic writing style was interesting -- refreshing, even -- but a little out of place in a Star Wars novel. (I'm probably going to get a bashing for having said that!) Also, his frequent "This is XXX" descriptions of characters in the beginning quickly loses its novelty -- and starts to get annoying.

It's also interesting to see the differences between the novel and the comic...for example, the scene of (highlight to read) Anakin and Obi-Wan cutting a hole into the floor and dropping into a sewer-like place filled with fuel, before their fight with Dooku was in the comic but not in the novel (unless I somehow missed it!).

23. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    You've read both the comic and the novel? Stay away from me..!

:D

24. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    I've read the comic, and about two-thirds of the novel. I hope to finish the novel in my next few visits to the bookshop. =)

I was also surprised that Matthew Stover revealed Darth Sidious' identity so early in the novel. I doubt George Lucas would do that (and if the comic is any guide to the movie, he didn't). I guess Stover figured that everyone who's interested enough in Star Wars to read the novel would ALREADY know anyway.

25. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    I think the novel and comic dilute the movie a fair bit.

Lots of missing details. I have a feeling that Lucas intended it that way, unlike the previous novelizations and comics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.