main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] Obi's Revelation Failed to Impress (j/k)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by SabeForQueen, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    Ok, I really enjoyed ROTS, but I believe it could have handled some plot points a little more effectively. Obi Wans' revelation in this movie just didn't have the cognitive impact it could have had...I mean, let's review:

Anakin: "I HATE YOU!"
    Obi Wan: "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!"

Wasn't the emphasis off? It could have been so much better if only Obi had said first "I loved you" (pause) "YOU WERE MY BROTHER!"
    That would have the audience gasping w/revelation. But as it is, I feel like this line just went over most people's heads as they were busy sobbing.
    Yes, yes, it was sad. But where is the shock? The awe? Fans have been waiting for this moment for a long time. I remember hearing theories that Obi was Owen's brother years ago. Now we see it's true and it adds a whole new dimension to the saga. It ties in with the timeless Cain & Abel story. It makes sense, too. This film is the Skywalker story and Obi Wan always played too important of a role for him to have been an honest Kenobi.
    Another issue I have with the way the scene played out is Anakin's non-reaction. It's almost like, "Yeah I know. Somehow I've always known, so I can't be distracted from my pain and suffering." (glare) "You didn't think this would make me like you any better, did you?" Which is good continuity in a way. We see from his reaction and, later, his daughter's, that in the Star Wars universe, undeclared siblings is no biggie. But ofcourse, questions of parenting is much more sensitive...as it is to date. All perfectly logical but unfortunate.
    Still, Lucas kind of killed the suspense when he hints, almost-saying-it-but-not-saying-it, this truth as Obi Wan protests to Yoda that he cannot kill Anakin...he's "like" a brother. So, we become familiar with this idea gradually until there just isn't any shock with the actual declaration. Why, Lucas? In ESB, Vader's line was so shocking becoz there was no hint of it leading up to the act. We were blown away.
    ;)

2. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Whoa. Wait a second, are you saying that you think that Obi-Wan and Anakin are actually brothers? If you aren't forgive my overworked brain, but if you are- wow, I'm speechless.

To the best of my knowledge, Anakin and Obi-Wan are in no way genetically related. When Obi-Wan said "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you," he's saying that as a very very close friend. For example, my best friend and I are very very close. If we were in that situation, I probably would've said something along the lines of "you were my sister!" but that doesn't mean that she's literally my sister.

I personally loved that line, it was perfect for the moment and the speech and it showed you how hard it really was for Obi-Wan to walk away from Anakin who had been such a close friend to him, a close enough friend to be considered a brother. If you think about it, they were like brothers, the Jedi were family to one another.

3. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    This made me laugh. I had not thought of that line beeing interpreted in that way. Wow, that would have been a shocking twist! Ani and Obi brothers, who knew?:eek: ;)

4. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I took that the same way as Targeter. I assume Lucas meant he loved Anakin like a brother. If he meant literally, it wasn't conveyed at all.

EDIT: clearly, I am overworked, I totally missed the j/k part...

5. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    When he referred to Anakin as his Brother, I didn't take it in the sense that they were biologically related, more in bonding sense.

I often refer to some of my friend as "My Sisters" but we are in no related, Its much more about the closenes that we share and the emotional bond. I would imagine that Anakin and Obi-Wan were very much the same way.

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Haha you guys :p

7. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Haha, well played. It would have been better if you didn't indicate it was a joke in the thread title, though.

8. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I took that line to mean they were best of friends, "Send me to kill the Emperor...I won't kill Anakin...he's like my brother."

The ROTS novel puts their relationship in terms of being one. Whenever they were named (because of their heroic exploits) they were known as a team, "Kenobi and Skywalker." They were always together, "flying side-by-side."

So, to witness that scene between Padme and Obi-wan was heart-wrenching:

"Padme, I MUST find him."
    "You're going to kill him, aren't you?"
    "He's become a great threat."

:_|

9. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    I don't know, Jeff 42. People still are mostly taking my j/k post seriously. Not much laughter. :(
    Eh, well, it was fun. ;)

10. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    SabeForQueen, that was hysterical. And so dry--about halfway through, I still thought you were serious. :)

11. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Sabe, as one who fell for it initially, I laughed when what you had done dawned on me. Well played.

12. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Very funny. But the funniest part is that people are taking you serious.

13. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, in the ROTJ Novelization, Obi-Wan says Owen Lars is his brother. You make the connection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.