main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* ROTS Favorite Scenes Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    That silent scene with Anakin in the Temple and Padme in her apartment was phenomenal. Soooooo tense.

"Your move" - Grievous splits his arms!

"Artoo? Artoo? Can you hear me?" whilst the SBDs are looking around the hangar. The audience was laughing pretty hard.

Padme still looking pregnant in the funeral scene.

Anakin's eyes as the helmet is lowered.

Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting as that tower thing falls into the lava. "It's bad enough we're fighting over LAVA, but now there's a lava WATERFALL?!?" [face_laugh]

"Into the first....GALACTIC...EMPIRE!!!"

The first scene between Anakin and Padme.

The last scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan. "Goodbye, old friend." :(

2. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    At First I was kind of iffy about this scene but now that I think about it, Order 66 was the most memorable scene to me..

At first in theaters I was like.. "Come on the Jedi can't just die like that.."
    Then I came to realize that the Jedi aren't all powerfull and that a clone or something other than a Sith can kill them, then I watched as a young padawan took his last look at the world, when Bail Organa was leaving the Jedi temple and the young lad fought bravely, worthy or recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order, IMO, it caught me off guard to think someone so young could do so much, he killed at least 4 Clones by himself and then 1, it was Amazing, that is my favorite scene, so far...

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well obviously the Opera scene was magical, Ian was a genius in that one.

How about his arrogant and dismissive "leave us" line when he invited Anakin to sit with him. Total Emperor in action!

4. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Another one is the confrontation between Mace and Palpatine. I think even though Mace didn't have that much screentime in this film, his character was fleshed out quite a lot.
    Very stern, and arrogant Jedi. Not exactly a person to get pushed around easily, and I think SLJ is great at that.
    I also get the sense that this is a Jedi who is quite intimidating in battle. Maybe not the greatest Force user, but very strong and powerful in combat (as Anakin suggests in AOTC).

I really liked the exchange between Palps and Mace.

"I am the Senate!"

"Not yet!"

It's a bit like Palpy's trying to intimidate Mace, but he will not be swayed. Great stuff I think.

EDIT: AAAH! I also can't get over at how they really enhanced the Palpatine/Emperor character. Him speaking of Darth Plagueis being murdered in his sleep... and the zoom in on Ian's face. It's sooo well done. And we get the sense that this character has a history (something which has been missing before), but we don't go into any details at all, and I love that.

And I also love (and hate) how slimy he is... Worming away from Mace, and acting so weak (though I don't like the "No no no!").
    I love when his voice sort of transforms into something that is more like the Emperor (although it still changes somewhat throughout the film, and I love that also). Some people don't seem to like the weird breathing/grunting noises going on before he gets his hood on, but I loved it and found it really disgusting and scary.
    This sequence is a gutsy move on Lucas' part I think, but once I sort of digested it, I've really grown to love it.

5. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    One problem, though, is that the Palpatine saber scenes were kind of weak. There were a couple of awful digital double close-ups, and they quite obviously had to use super-zoom shots to make it look like he was fighting when McDiarmid's real face was used. Mace and Palps looked like punks compared to Anakin and Obi-Wan.

6. qui_gon_jinn_83

Sep 18, 2002
    Agreed on that, I think Dooku in AOTC suffered from the same thing.

It was a pretty weird fight all in all. It's not lightning fast, and it doesn't really have the "weight" it really needed either. Mace Windu's fighting style is kind of odd, but I think I'm starting to like it more and more.

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, they really made great advances with the Dooku doubles, though. He looked much better this time around. You could sort of tell, but nothing too bad. I wonder why Palpatine's digital double looked so much worse.

8. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    After watching it a second time, I have a few new favourite scenes:

When Obi-Wan and Anakin arrives to Coruscant with Palpatine and Obi-Wan gives him all the credit for the successful mission.

Just after that when Anakin is talking to Bail Organa and sees or rather senses Padmé and then rushes over to her. So sweet! [face_love]

The scene with Anakin alone in the Council Chamber looking towards Padmé's appartment and Padmé is looking at the Jedi temple. It's almost as Padmé can sense what's going on with Anakin.

When Yoda tells Obi-Wan about immortality and Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan just looks so happy when he exclaims his old master's name.

9. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I loved the silent scene between Anakin in the Jedi Council and Padme in the apartment. Something about it was just so...disquieting. Very eerie. I loved it.

The opening scene was so much fun. It was fast and exciting and actually funny! I was very impressed. I thought it was so cool how the scene in which Anakin is about to kill Dooku is almost exactly like the scene in ROTJ with Luke and Vader.

The first scene between Anakin and Padme was very sweet. Finally some chemistry between them! I thought they were wonderful together.

The "I hate you...but I loved you" line was incredible. Anakin looked so evil and vile at that moment, it was truly frightning.

Anything with Yoda was great, especially the Chewie piggy-back ride and his force push with the two guards. Both those scenes got huge reactions with the people in the theater I was in.

Okay, I think I have to stop now, lest I list every scene in the movie. ;)

10. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    The two that pop into mind immediately would be Grievous advancing on Obi-Wan while ripping up the floor and Obi-Wan on Boga.

11. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I loved, loved, loved the Senate scene when Palpatine announced the new Empire. Especially Padmé's line: "So this is how liberty ends: with thunderous applause." (Then again I really enjoyed how Palpatine rose to power through TPM & AOTC while other folks found it boring. So I guess it was expected. :p)

The fight between Obi-Wan and Grievous was excellently handled in my opinion, one of the best. :)

The youngling that comes back fighting for one shining, noble moment. Very sad, but boy did I root for him. :_|

12. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    When leaving Mustafar, C3P0 says to R2 IIRC:
    "I seem to have gotten the hang of this flying thing"

of course then he gets his memory erased so in ANH he says on the MF:

"I've forgotten how much I hate space travel!" [face_laugh]

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Just popped into my head: Threepio telling Artoo to keep it down when Anakin comes to Padme's apartment after becoming Vader.

Obi-Wan flipping out of his cockpit, lighting his saber, and taking out 4 droids in the blink of an eye.

I thought the Yoda/Sidious fight was absolutely amazing, and the Emperor looked really good there. There was a couple of shots in the Mace/Palps fight that looked a little fake to me, mostly when he was flipping, but only because we KNOW that Ian McDiarmid couldn't do that. I guess you guys are more critical of the digital doubles than me, I'd have to see the movie 4 or 5 times before I'd notice that.

I liked Palpatine and Mace fighting, because they had a slightly different fighting style - more fencing.

And no more complaints about Mace not being able to fight - he SOLD that one. I loved (it happened so quickly) how, a couple of times, he didn't even block Palpatine's strikes, he just moved his head a bit or stepped aside.

Mace was very determined and I really loved his character in this film.

The intercutting between the Opera Scene, a slow-moving, intense, seductive scene, and the Utapau Boga/Wheel Bike adventure was great. Kept things interesting. I loved Utapau.

What else?

- Grievous rips the sabers out of the battle droid's hands, and the battle droid says "you're welcome." [face_laugh]

- the IG-100 Magna Guards getting pwned by Kenobi (showing off his power) dropping that giant anvil on them. Then Kenobi casually beating down the last Magna Guard on his way over to Grievous.

- the beacon at the Jedi Temple telling all Jedi the war is over and to come home. Very clever.

- "So uncivilized" - got a good reaction from the crowd.

- early in The Duel, the sabers are moving so fast, it looks like a blue whirlwind - you could hear people (i.e., me) gasping in the crowd.

- the simultaneous Force pushes, and the synchronized flying early in the film. Banter between Kenobi and Skywalker. These guys really were friends and brothers.

Did everyone see the George Lucas cameo?

14. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    A couple of points:

First, just before Anakin kills Dooku, I was chilled by how Palpatine cheerfully says to Ani (though this isn't the exact quote), "Well done, my boy! Now, kill him!" It's the first real hint in the prequels that Palpatine isn't the benevolent man many think him to be.

For that matter, while he was gone far too quickly, Dooku was still wonderfully condescending. ("Double the power, double the fall!")

And, like others have written, there were times that I was actually hoping that Lucas would pull a Harry Turtledove move and have Anakin resist the Dark Side. It made his final fall all the more sad.

15. Jedi_Jen

Jedi_Jen Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2003
    There were so many scenes I loved. I loved the opening battle and the comradery between and Obi-Wan and Anakin. The humor was great. I loved it when Obi-Wan said, "Sith Lords are our speciality."
    Order 66 was amazing. Birth of Vader/twins.
    I can't wait to see it again!

16. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I saw George's cameo, he looked silly :p

17. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    One scene I loved that hasn't really been mentioned is when Sidious finds Anakin on Mustafar and touches his face. For how evil Sidious is he seems to actually care about Anakin/Vader. He genuinely seems to want Anakin to become the greatest force user ever. His devotion to Vader ultimately ends up being his downfall. It is one of the few miscalculation he makes during the saga.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I wondered if that was compassion, or sort of a Force "tricorder" (sorry) thing to see how injured he was.

Just thinking of Obi-Wan putting his hand on Luke's forehead when Luke was knocked unconscious by the Tuskens.

It looks like Sidious is about to touch Anakin's forehead but draws back when he sees how burnt the skin is.

19. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    1.Yoda vs. Palpatine (although I wish that was much longer)
    2.ORDER 66- I thought that was a great scene and possibly the second best one in the movie.
    3.The lightsaber part of Grievous vs. Obi-Wan
    4.Mace vs. Palpatine- That was definitely the best scene in the movie for me-possibly my favorite scene in the entire saga.

Those are the ones that stood out the most for me although I thought the whole movie was awesome.

20. qui_gon_jinn_83

Sep 18, 2002
    The second time around, the duel was a lot nicer to I think. I do think it's a bit long, but it's not a big complaint at all.

I really like the way it starts, because Lucas has built up this huge tension with the dialouge and Anakin choking Padme and so on. And then it explodes into action (and "Battle of the heroes" works so great here), and I nearly started crying for some reason.
    It's such a huge outburst of energy, it's great.

21. BenjaminBirdie

BenjaminBirdie Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2001
    I've seen it again, and finally got a lock on my favorite line:

"If so powerful you are..."
    *saber twirl, IGNITE*
    "...why leave?"

YODA4LYFE.

22. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    yes Yoda was amazing.

23. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Did anyone else think the "The Duel" saber action was TOO fast? I was thinking it'd be a bit slower since there was a lot of physical contact between the two of them (punching, kicking, etc) so they'd be too tired to go crazy with their sabers.

24. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    too close was my first impression. we'll see after more views, but i thought they needed more wide shots....

25. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    These were my favorite scenes:

Padme looking at the distruction at the Jedi Temple from her apartment window.

Padme giving birth to the twins and then naming them.

The duel on Mustafar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.