main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* ROTS Favorite Scenes Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Favorite scenes were when Yoda was entering the room and knocked out the crimson guards in like a second. That was pretty funny.

The scene where Padme' comes to help Anakin on the lava planet and confronts him about what she has learned. Easily the best acting in the film. Thats the kind of greatness I was expecting. Natalie Portman stole the show once again.

Worst scene was Vader going "NOOOOOOOOOO". If there was ever a time to edit a scene it was there.

2. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Saw if for the 3rd time today. Here are a few more of my favorite scenes:

-Anakin and Padme looking at each other from afar.
    -Near the end of the duel when Obi-Wan says, "I've failed you Anakin."
    -Padme being buried as if she was still pregnant.
    -Sidious proclaiming the Empire.

3. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    This is a good thread. It's a lot more fun to read about what people liked about the film, and I think that there is a ton of things to gush about it. I was reading a thread in 3SA about things people don't like, and wow, it was really sad and depressing. There were some common complaints that I could understand (Vader's NOOO!), but a lot of people were upset about things that I thought were strengths of the film or things that are minor details and don't matter in the larger scheme of things. It's just sad how a lot of people get bent because they expect one thing to be on the screen and end up unhappy because it wasn't that way. A lot of people were complaining that things were different from the book! That's why it might be a good idea to not read the book and form these preconceptions!! My point is, its better to focus on the positives and it was probably better to be unspoiled.

As for favorite scenes...hmm so many. There are literally like 7 or 8 scenes I could say are my favorite. I think that the entire first twenty minutes or so, through when they crash land, is flawless. It has the amazing continuous opening shot, a great space battle with natural banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan, great action inside The Invisible Hand with some of R2's best comedy, an amazing lightsaber battle, and the beginnings of Palpatine influencing Anakin to do evil deeds. I think you really get a sense that Anakin and Obi-Wan are colleagues and friends, and shows clearly that they their relationship is not as it was in AOTC, which is key for the rest of the film. I honestly can't think of any way George could have improved this section of the movie. As good as some of the heavier, more pivotal moments of the saga are that come later, this first part of the movie makes the statement to the audience that they are in for something special with this episode.

4. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    This movie, it's just too hard to pick out favorite scenes. Too many to choose from. I can't say that so much about the other movies. What makes this film work for me is the detail.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Heh - can't remember if anyone has commented on this, but HOW COOL was it to see "Stormtroopers" once again?!?

And to get like 6 different varieties of Stormtroopers was an even bigger treat. :D

And Star Destroyers, early T.I.E. fighters, Lambda shuttles....:eek:

6. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Garth, don't forget the spire! I did really look at that when Palpy brought Ani/Vader back from Mustafar. Actually, if you listen closely during the first battle, you can hear TIE fighter sounds.

7. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    At first I thought the "Anakin killing Dooku" scene in the beginning was way to fast, and effortless.
    But then I began to realize that Anakin is already well on his way to the dark side.
    I found myself looking at this film only and not taking in account the two other prequels, and I still think it's hard to not look at this film only for some reason.
    It will become easier once it gets out on DVD for sure.

Anyways, another great scene. The Emperor returning to Coruscant with Vaders burnt body. The visuals here are really, really amazing.

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    So Garth...how come you switched to a Palps photo?

9. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Twisted, by the darkside. Young Garth is.

- O_F

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The mod we knew is no more, consumed by the icon of Palpatine.

11. Jedi_Meb

Jedi_Meb Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2005
    Man, I think there were so many great scenes as well.

-Yoda slamming the guards into the wall, EVERYONE cracked up on that one.

-Yoda's line, "Not if something to say about it I have!" priceless!

-Grievous' 4 sabers

-The super battle droid kicking Artoo saying "Stupid astromech droid!" and the droids getting shocked and saying, "Oww!" with that new silly droid voice.

-The ending, it was just perfect in every way, with the twin sunset and the exact same music from ANH.

-Order 66. I agree on how heart-wrenching it was to see all the great Jedi getting killed, and showing Yoda's reaction to each one. =(

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm giving bad ol' Palps credit where credit is due.

I'll be switching back to my boy Obi-Wan soon enough. 8-}

13. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Besides "I hate you", the one line that really, really hit me hard was "I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you."

Ewan just exuded so many different emotions in that line: love, disappointment, a sense of duty...wow.

Also, my girlfriend pointed out that Boga is like one of our dogs; so fast and seemingly playful. So it really depressed me, almost to tears the second time, to see her die.

14. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    It is really really hard to focus on particular scenes after only a single viewing, but this thread is so much fun, I'll try anyway! (yeah, sorry, Yoda):p
    Laugh Out Loud Enjoyment:
    - Obi Wan complacently and unceasingly calling via com on R2 while the droid is trying to hide from stormtroopers (actually, entire opening rescue of Chancellor) :) :)
    - Obi Wan vs. Grievious, Obi Wan vs. droids hard to kill (kind of like the hilariously drawn out arena duel in AOTC)
    - Yoda putting the royal guards out of action :)

Poignant:
    - "I Hate You"/"I Loved You" dialogue
    - Youngling trustingly facing Anakin
    - Anakin and Padme looking out at each other from seperate buildings (mood reminiscent of ESB w/ Leia & Luke empathing, though much less hopeful)
    - Their reunion in the beginning of film
    - Bail Organa watching the padawan being killed
    - Commander Cody obeying order 66 right after friendly exchange w/Obi Wan
    - Padme naming the children among tears and Jedi witnesses
    - Anakin apologizing to Obi Wan for bad behavior: their last meeting as friends (scene reminiscent of Obi's ep.1 apology to Qui-Gon)

Not surprisingly, there was considerably more to pull at the heart strings than the corners of your mouth. But ObiWan and the droid duo were genuinely humorous in this film (except Obi towards the end, ofcourse!) And it was awfully nice having Anakin be so likable before his fall. I loved seeing him as a Clone War hero!

15. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    A little touch that I really liked was when Obi-Wan patted Threepio on the shoulder after the duel...the first time he has treated a droid with any kind of humanity.

I also love Anakin's "You will try" just before it all kicks off.

Apart from Vaders "Noooooo!" which was'n't nearly as bad the third time, I absolutely adored everything! I'm so happy!! [face_dancing]

16. Blyte_the_Noghri

Blyte_the_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    ROTS things I loved:

Sith names--
    Plagueis, learned how to manipulate health and life to live longer
    Sidious, enough so, to kill his master while he slept
    Maul, Pure fury in fighting motion
    Tyranus, tyrant military leader with a lust for power that blindsided him to Sideous treachery (the look on his face before beheading was awesome)
    Vader, father of the "New Empire"

The thrill of the rescue of Palps. R2, Obi, & Ani were fun, funny, and showed their incredible relationship.

The opera scene--my friend leaned over and whispered "SHUT UP!"

Anakin trying to do the right thing and consistently become more confused over what the "right thing" is

Sideous is brilliant. He has eveything set up so he wins. Republic Vs Seperatists, no matter the outcome he wins. Revealing himself to Anakin, he either gains an apprentice or the Jedi attack him(treason), both happen. Telling Anakin that Padme died (he really doesn't know at this point), Anakin loses the only person that he would betray Sidious for and becomes more angry, embittered, and compliant to Sids.

Jedi purge. I wondered how this could occur in one movie. Order 66--wow!

Anakin marching into the temple with the troopers.

Younglings! Made me sick to my stomach when he ignited his lightsaber.

When Anakin arrives to "deal with the Seperatists". Did Nute not recognize him? He should have ran at seeing Anakin period!

Obi wan ruled this movie for me! "Anakin is the father, isn't he? I'm so sorry." "You were like my brother. I loved you!" Awesome and powerful. "Nine times. That time on Neimodia doesn't count!"

Watching Anakin slide down a slope where the one person he vowed to save, he almost purposely killed.

Darth Vader's agony on the slope, where he has nothing left. "I hate you!" Pure animal, broke my heart.

Obi training in the force with Qui Gon to learn to fully give himself to the force for A New Hope.

Setting suns over Tatooine.

An incredible movie that left me with mixed feelings. So depressing, but enjoying the sorrow because we know how it will play out.

17. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I have some imagery that I really loved in the film. George, as always, is very careful of the visuals and the connections they make.

- The funeral procession. Theed has never looked more beautiful. A perfect blend of the Italian Renaissance and Indian mystique. Add to that Padmé's dress.
    - When viewed from above, Anakin/Vader's operating table has lighting in the shape of the Imperial Seal.
    - Of course, Mustafars hellish lava and dark sun-covering clouds, symbolism when it's best.
    - The serenity of Alderaan. The alps gave me a fresh feel, yet the architecture gives real warmth. A perfect place for peace.

Of course, there are many more. But I've only seen it once... :D

18. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    When you see mechanical Vader on the ship watching the construction of the Death Star, what planet to show next but Alderaan - the first victim of the Death Star.

Didn't pick up on the connection immediately but when I realized what George had done, I was like "Whoa... this place is gonna be toast in the next movie (oops - is that a spoiler for those who haven't seen Ep IV?)

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    There are a million and one things I think about with this film to like, but I keep coming back to Vader's concern for Padme after getting the suit. How bizarre, and how horribly tragic. I never would have imagined that. I figured Vader's first words would be bold and evil like in the OT.

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yes, just so, storm, and it pissed a LOT of fanboys off.

Who cares? We had enough Vader in the OT, he still rules and nothing will take away from lines like "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Hearing Vader's voice "Where is Padme?" and the rest was AWESOME, one of my favorite things in the entire movie.

Kudos to Lucas for having the balls to mess with one of the greatest screen villains in history.

A new favorite shot after seeing it the second time? Yoda's cane dropping on the ground.

21. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    When you see mechanical Vader on the ship watching the construction of the Death Star, what planet to show next but Alderaan - the first victim of the Death Star.

I didn't notice that, but sounds cool! If cool is an appropriate word in this context...

Hearing Vader's voice "Where is Padme?" and the rest was AWESOME, one of my favorite things in the entire movie.

Hearing James Earl Jones' voice utter the word Padmé was beautiful. Just what was needed to fully bridge Anakin and Darth Vader. I loved it. Still not sure about the "Nooo", though...

Speaking of Anakin/Vader, I saw an image on harddrive, it was the teaser poster for The Phantom Menace.... Six years ago I thought is was cool, now so utterly depressing. Truly tragic, having Vader's shadow falling from that innocent little boy....

22. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    stormcloud8 wrote:

There are a million and one things I think about with this film to like, but I keep coming back to Vader's concern for Padme after getting the suit. How bizarre, and how horribly tragic. I never would have imagined that. I figured Vader's first words would be bold and evil like in the OT.

After three viewings, I think I "get" that scene, finally. And the key, I think, is that it means two different things to two different audiences.

For anyone who hasn't seen the OT and is watching SW from I thru VI, there's really no problem with his lines here--the whole movie, Ani has been concerned with Padme, so it's natural that he'd ask about her as soon as he was conscious again. And the "Nooo!" and accompanying Force Temper Tantrum just seal his fate and show how he has destroyed himself by going to the dark side.

For people watching the films in the order they were made, the difficulty is exactly what you bring up, storm. We have always seen Vader as a powerful figure in control of those around him (end of ROTJ excepted). Because he's such an iconic figure with such a defined identity, I think that anyone who grew up with the OT quite naturally assumed that his first appearance would be "cool" and "bada**", as we have always known him. What I now realize is brilliant about the first appearance of Vader-in-armor in ROTS is that George managed to give us a "twist" ending so shocking, we didn't even realize it was a twist ending! We expected one thing from Vader, and when we didn't get that one thing, many of us (myself included, at first) just wrote the scene off as clunky or melodramatic or dumb. When in fact it was the biggest surprise of all--that the "bold and evil" villain of the OT is actually a pathetic figure, doomed to a life as a half-mechanical slave thanks to his own faliures and Palpy's manipulations. And this actually fits in perfectly with things Vader says in ROTJ, specifically the "I must obey my master" and "It is too late for me, son" bits.

In retrospect, it's a much better scene than I realized. :)

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That reversal of the Vader image is a brilliant accomplishment to my mind.

People who don't like the "No!" are certainly entitled to their opinion, but how do you think a persion would react to the news they killed their love? Was he supposed to say...
    "Note to self, be more careful with the force choke in the future."

24. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002

I've loved this scene every time. But to me it's like Anakin hasn't fully become Vader until this point. He was still doing all of this for Padme, so of course she would be the first thing he asks about. But it makes you view Vader so differently. He's sad and almost pathetic. But when he realizes that he's lost everything he worked to save, that's when Anakin fully gives himself to the dark side and becomes the evil man-machine we know and love. I mean, come on. When you see him again walking toward the Emperor and Tarkin on the star destroyer, he walks like he owns the place. It's awesome.

Ok, just talking about that makes me want to drive to the theater to see it again right now. :p

25. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    It's not so much his reaction that bothers me but the recording of the "Noooooooo!" that just seems cheesy. For me, it would have worked better as just an anguished yell or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.