main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* ROTS Favorite Scenes Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    You will be missed DARTH_BELO!

2. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    I loved this entire movie, I loved it all.

I went to see it for a seconed time today, and the picture was better than last time, but the sound was a little quite..or it could have just been me.

All the duels are fantastic, and the Anakin Vs Obi-Wan duel has to be my favorite, "I loved u!"...very powerful.

3. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    I know I've posted one of my favorite scenes in the Intial Viewings thread but since this has been bumped up more, I thought that I would chime in.

One of my favorite scenes is one that isn't one that many people refer to, the one in which Padme lands on Mustafar and she is overcome with everything that Obi-Wan has told her. Anakin starts to walk out, with his hood still up. He suddenly realizes that it's Padme and he flicks his hood back and starts running to the ship. Padme also doesn't hesitate to get out of her chair and run to him. I love the emotional desperation in that scene. I don't know why, I just do.

4. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    ^^^ Yeah, I agree, that is a beautiful scene. And with Padmé moment of reflection before running out, is makes for one of my favourites as well.

5. spaceace27

spaceace27 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    That was actually one of the scenes I was most excited about (speculation-wise) because it meant his betrayal would soon follow.

6. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I really, really love the scene at Padme's apartment after Anakin's second dream-sequence. The "Obi-Wan's been here, hasn't he?" conversation. He literally looks like he's dragging around a burden on his shoulders as he stands, and moves over to the next room with Padme... and he even admits he feels lost! Gads, he's trying so hard to seek help but everyone's so dang clueless, even Padme.

And then he changes the subject and gives one of my favorite, and for some reason one of the most chilling, lines of the film: "I found a way to save you... from my nightmares." I don't know, the way Hayden says it, it's so small and young-sounding... makes me unbearably sad and dreading what's to come - how it's going to corrupt that purity of motivation...

7. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    yeah I really like that scene too. I like the way Padme says "Lost? What do you mean?" she really wants to help him, but she just doesn't understand.

8. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Any scenes with Yoda are spectacular. So well done, so perfect. Is it possible they actually hired a real Yoda to act in the movie? When he speaks, there is so much depth in his facial expressions. So great.

There are many scenes I love, which I said the "When you think about the movie, what's the first image in your head?" thread, but another Nemoidian one pops in. When that nemoidian is pleading with Lord Vader, saying Sidious promised peace, is a chiller.

And of course, the boots stopping and the clones taking out Ki Adi Mundi.

Isurus the White

9. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Ok, so having much time to ponder this... my in-depth favorite scene analysis goes thusly:

3. Order 66- Everything is just perfect. I was blown away by the simplicity of it. We've always wondered how this was going to happen, but yet I never thought it would be so simple and effective. The clones always had this command programmed in, and Sidious just activated it. Anakin killed Jedi himself, yes, but it was their own army, the one they never should have commanded, that did the Jedi in. Wow. And the montage is great, almost all the Council members dispatched of quickly and simply. The music is perfect as well, absolutely heart-wrenching.

2. The Immolation Scene- That's what the soundtrack calls it, so I will too. The first time I saw it I was stuck dumb but Nick Gillard's words 2 years ago that Anakin is "weak on a slope"... I would have never guessed how true that was. I also didn't guess that "You were the Chosen One!" occurs as Anakin lay mutilated and burning. This is just so incredibly powerful... the acting is perfect. Hayden barely says anything, but conveys so much in a few gutteral yells and with his eyes. Obi-Wan's heartfelt confession that he loved Anakin really did me in. Apparently Anakin's "I hate you" was originally supposed to come after Obi-Wan says he loved him, but it's SO much better this way. Anakin has nothing to say to that. I also find it really intriguing that Lucas was going to have Anakin say "Master, help me," but cut it out because it could illict too much symapthy. But anyway, it was done better than I could have ever hoped. I glad Lucas had the guts to do it.

1. Anakin and Padme look out over Coruscant- In such a relentlessly fast-paced movie, this scene is incredibly powerful... and I'd say it becomes more so the more you watch it. It seems like time actually stops. It's brilliantly shot and edited, and I don't say that lightly. The way Padme and Anakin mirror each other, doing the same thing but for totally different reasons. Anakin holds their futures in his hands... Padme looks out with hope and trepidation, but he with despair. And you see him make horrible a decision that will affect all their lives forever... as he stares into the sunset in the Council Chamber, as they "stare" at each other. Again, music is so important here and it's exactly right. This key moment could not have been done better. It really becomes apparent how amazing a visual director Lucas is, and how talented Hayden and Natalie really are when they have time to just emote. Nothing is said, but it's probably the most powerful scene in the film for me.

10. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    1. Anakin and Padme look out over Coruscant-

In a million years, i never would've/could've guessed that, easily, one of the most pivotal/decisive/emotional sequences in the entire Star Wars saga would include no dialogue, no action, no, physical, intercourse, no etc etc.

If ever there was to be an example of George's claimed "visual storytelling", this would easily stand firm as the sole representative of that claim. We all know what both Anakin and Padme are really "saying"/"thinking" in these scenes, we all know what decisions Anakin has made when he starts crying and runs off.

Hauntingly beautiful scene, and speaks more volumes than any dialogue that could've been inserted here.

After a second viewing, more of my favorite scenes:

- The Godfather montage of the Jedi Purge

See RS's reasoning above ;) (btw, interesting note: George storyboarded the montage in the first GF for Francis, who didn't really know how he would pull it off)

- "No loose wire jokes, he's doing the best he can" "Did i say anything?" "He's trying!" "I didn't say anything!"

The Obi/Ani banter is really one of the funniest Star Wars has had since Luke/Han in ANH, it's sad that we couldn't have more of this in Episode II - but i see where George was going with all of this.

- "You are under arrest, My Lord", Mace's defeat of Palpatine

I really feel Mace has been getting a lot of undeserved flack from some fanbases (particularly the Anakin-fans), but that has nothing to do with this scene :p

Outside of Yoda forcepushing Sidious back into his chair, the swift kick in the face he receives here really shows why Palpatine went through all the trouble of manipulating Senators, a War and a Young Jedi Knight in order to finally face off with the Jedi themselves. Then when Anakin comes running in there, well we all know that Mace is doomed - and this is exactly why he didn't take Anakin there in the first place. But it's still a very sad moment when Anakin falls back into his chair after betraying Mace, he's crossed the line and knows his life, as a Jedi, is over.

A lot of people feel this sequence loses it's power when Anakin bends the knee for Palps, "too fast" is what most say. But i never saw this as Anakins actual turn, it's simply the moment he decides to make a pact with the devil - the actual turn isn't a big "turn" at all, it's a gradual process of him slipping further and further down the dark path.

A process which, imo, started way back in Episode II, when he refused to learn from his mothers death that he can't be all-powerful - that's where he starts slipping. Where his good nature and mind start focusing on power instead of love, this turn doesn't reach it's climax till "Love can't save you Padme, only my new powers can" of course.

- O_F

11. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    A lot of people feel this sequence loses it's power when Anakin bends the knee for Palps, "too fast" is what most say. But i never saw this as Anakins actual turn, it's simply the moment he decides to make a pact with the devil - the actual turn isn't a big "turn" at all, it's a gradual process of him slipping further and further down the dark path.

A process which, imo, started way back in Episode II, when he refused to learn from his mothers death that he can't be all-powerful - that's where he starts slipping. Where his good nature and mind start focusing on power instead of love, this turn doesn't reach it's climax till "Love can't save you Padme, only my new powers can" of course.

Thank you. I have never seen that scene as Anakin just up and deciding, "Hey, I guess I'll be evil now." I think it's quite obvious that Anakin is divided against himself at that moment, completely at the point of desperation, and that's the only reason he swears himself to the Sith. I think Anakin still very much believes, right then, that he can get away with it all - he can use the dark side's power to save Padme and then forsake it, even Palpatine (it's clearly been on his mind as that Mustafar line testifies: "I am more powerful than the Chancellor, I can overthrow him").

But of course, in the end, the dark side didn't provide him the control he was so desperately seeking - it simply controlled him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.