main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT ROTS Opera Scene New Observation

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    So after rematching ROTS, I seen something very interesting that was right up my ally. In the scene in which Palpatine is talking to Anakin during the opera performance, I noticed as Palpatine began telling the story about Darth Plagueis and his accomplishment in creating life and controlling death, the opera performance they were watching showed similarities to human fertilisation:

Notice it looks like an egg cell with sperm cells surrounding it and it appears as if one has penetrated inside of it.
    [​IMG]

And for comparison:
    [​IMG]

This image shows the similarities between the opera performance and the cytoplasm and overall consistency of the egg cell, which looks too similar for mere coincidence:

[​IMG]

So overall, to me this appears as if it is the start of embryogenesis that ROTS opera scene may have tried to convey; to show the creation of life and DP's power to manipulate it. What does everyone think of this? Could it be an observation supporting Anakin was Plagueis' creation? :)

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes I did notice that before at some point as a fleeting thought but quickly forgotten.

Nice catch to bring it up.

3. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    So I'm not the only one who thought that.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, it seems pretty intentional.

5. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I noticed it as well when I first saw it in theaters back in '05... I didnt know if GL was going for that but I made the connection when he was talking about creating life

6. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel so stupid. This is so obvious now. I've been wondering for years if there were any message behind the opera itself. Duh. Super duh.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    SuperPersch

Oh, come on, sometimes everyone of us doesn't see the wood for the trees (myself included, here).

As an excuse for my lack of vision, may I highlight the further ambiguity of the scene?

While it's really a nice scene manipulation by the DP (director of photography) and an obvious hint for Darth Plagueis' capabilities, the scene furthermore shows the birth conception of Darth Vader in a metaphorical sense with Sidious' suggestions falling on "fertile" ground (i.e. Anakin's mind).

(One of my favorite scenes from RotS, now perhaps I fully understand the "why") ;)

8. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Great thought! I do have issue with you crediting the DP, though I would never want to take away from the amazing work Tattersall did on the prequels. I seem to remember there being a void in what the actual opera would look like during production, so it seems like a concept Lucas himself worked on throughout the process and probably landed on that bit of symbolism after he shot the scene-- in order to embolden those themes that, without these images, would remain ambiguous.

In fact I think this answers a LOT of questions that I had about the validity of what Palpatine was saying and implying. Seems to me Lucas is saying "Yep. This is true. Look at these Mon Calamari acting like sperm!"

George Lucas is one of those artists that make me burn with an immutable rage for being so ****ing talented and well-read (er...well-cinema'd). He took all the talent and didn't leave any for the rest of us.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

Antpocalypse, Ezon Pin and HevyDevy like this.
  9. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    All I know is that is one of my favorite scenes of the saga.

10. Darth Plagueis the Wise

Darth Plagueis the Wise Jedi Knight

Feb 26, 2016

Agreed. It's already one of the best scenes in the entire saga (in terms of lore, acting, music, visuals, etc.) and this hidden imagery/symbolism makes it all the more enjoyable. Nice observation OP.

-Darth Plagueis

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's all about the visual storytelling so when we get some of the most actually important dialogue ever in Star Wars he couldn't just leave it at that.

12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    You know I never gave much to the symbolism of the scene before. I always just saw as some nice background visuals and its very interesting to think there is more to it. Another example of why this scene and ROTS as a whole is an amazing film.

13. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I noticed what I was going on once I was old enough to know what fertilization was. I've been wondering exactly what's being fertilized for a while.

Is it Anakin's interest in the dark side? Is the galaxy being impregnated with the roots of the Empire?

The idea of it just simply alluding to Plagueis' powers is probably more the case than my two ideas, but it's good to know that opera scene can be interpreted many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antpocalypse likes this.
  14. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Hehe, I was 12 turning 13 when this movie came out, and all I knew at that time was that it was one of my favorite scenes.

Later on when I watched it when I was older and less innocent, I thought much the same as you. It just makes the scene even better, as now there is more subtle visual implications to the already loaded statements Palpy's making.

Excellent scene.

Huttese 101 and Ezon Pin like this.
  15. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I also have to add, watch the tail movements of what is believed to be sperm in the egg:

The spiracle movement almost perfectly mimics the movement of 'real life' sperm cells. Interesting to see the science and research that must have been invested into the scene to make it the way it was. Adds another level of significance in my opinion. :)

earlchinna likes this.
  16. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    I certainly never thought of this but it was an awesome scene in the movie for sure. One of my favorite scenes when I first saw this movie in the theatre.

17. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Awesome catch. And it's so obvious now you've pointed it out! Cool!

Darth Formidious likes this.
  18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This was noticed years ago by, I think, HL&S

They most certainly do seem to watching some sort of "conception" scene.

19. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
  20. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah its funny that I always wondered what was going on with the weird visuals in the opera show and now that its pointed out I see it…lol

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    NSFW

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  23. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I don't remember the source, but I was always under the belief that for one split moment those ribbon things line up in the shape of Vader's helmet. I've never seen it. I don't know if it's a brief sub-conscious thing, or if I am just watching for something that isn't there.
    I can totally see the egg and sperm thing, but I still want to see the Vader helmet vision.

24. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting [face_thinking]

There is also a moment when the Mustafar building goes over the lavafall and Anakin jumps off it over lava, where the sinking structure looks like Vader's helmet. Don't have a screencap.

25. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Okay, this is relevant now.

HevyDevy likes this.