main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] Reasons For Vader to Stay Alive post-ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by kingthlayer, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    This is a bit of a heavy topic, but also an interesting thought.

By the end of ROTS, Vader had killed his friends, betrayed his best friend, "killed" his wife (or at least her will to live), and allowed the most evil person in the galaxy to gain control of it.

Why wouldn't he kill himself? He must've been riddled with guilt and self loathing. He had nothing to live for at that point, or did he?

Do you think Vader was kept alive by his desire to meet Obi-wan Kenobi one last time? Obi-wan's death was never confirmed, Vader knew he got away. Perhaps he was filled with such hate that he had to stay alive to see him again. By the time he does finally kill his old master, he learns of another Skywalker, and the drive to find his son keeps him alive.

Perhaps it was just against his principles? Then again, he abandoned the Jedi way once he crossed over to the Dark side.

Or do you think Anakin himself didn't want to die? He had a fear to lose others, what about a fear to lose himself?

Whaddya think?

2. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    The Obi-Wan explanation works, and I think that is partly the reason.

The main thing though, I think he stays alive out of his "hatred" for the Emperor. I do think he one day plans to overthrow him, and claim the throne himself.
    Perhaps by ruling the galaxy...well... Maybe he thinks he will find some comfort in that somehow.

Interesting topic.

3. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah I think its the intention of punishing his master... makes you wonder how many people are motivated by revenge, but still go along with the other persons's wishes/plans for so long despite the loathing. Combine that with a little gratitute for bringing him back to life... Its interesting how complacent one can get in one's situation. Thats what the hunger for power and greed can do to you... its absolutely amazing. Goes along with the perils of being greedy and evil.. the people below you want to overthrow out of their own greed.

I also thinks there's a lot of risidual hatred for Obi-Wan too. He just left him there.

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think it is just power. He may hate himself...but he has now become exactly what he always wanted - The Most Powerful Jedi Ever. He rules at the right hand of the Emperor of the Galaxy. The Jedi are extinct, he is free to rule with the iron fist and decisive manner he has always wanted.

He definitely loved Padme, but he had a lust for power since his padawan days that was finally rewarded.

Another more complex explanation - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Obviously veterans of war have a hard time adjusting to life after a war. Vader may have had a horrible case of PTSD. Confused about his life and his desires, he simply continued doing what he did best - killing and fighting.

5. Blyte_the_Noghri

Blyte_the_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    I think he stays alive to do what he set out to do in the beginning. He wants to become the most powerful Jedi ever. He wants to rule the galaxy, so he can control all events and have blissful peace forever. Even though we all know that to have complete control over the galaxy is impossible, but that is what he is striving towards blinded by the dark side.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    This is a great question because the answer is really ellusive. No clues in the movies.
    Let's not underestimate the most primitive instinct of all... that to survive.

Also though, there's still one person left who has always been kind to Anakin... The Emperor. True, he wants to overthrow him but I think its a love/hate relationship.
    Anakin had his mother and father figure (Qui-Gon) taken from him. Then Obi-Wan turns on him (to his mind). When it comes to older mentors or caring figures, Sidious is all that's left.

7. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    IF anakin was a normal person, there would have been no reason to stay alive. However his reason for being alive had shifted away from the people who he loved and to living for power. That is the only reason he stayed alive, to get more power. Maybe he thought that he could take over the galaxy and un-do some of the things he did along the way but his life after he turned to the dark side was purely selfish.

Mr. P

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    One word for you:

Power.

The dark side seems to do that to people rather quickly. Initially, he turned to the dark side with the intention of saving Padme. Only about half an hour later, though, he was already talking about killing Palpatine and taking control of the galaxy for himself. His including Padme as evil queen in those plans seemed almost like an afterthought.

9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Danm you Beth, you took my answer. :mad:

But seriously it is power. He was motivated by power that he did not have. And he knew he could become more powerful than Sid and have his Empire of ****. However in a cruel twist of faith, Obi-Wan denies him his full potential.

10. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I think it's more of his lust for power than anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.