main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTS: Red Twi'lek at Opera - Koyi Mateil

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Guinastasia, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I doubt that. Even though GL said Bai Ling wasn't cut from the movie because of her Playboy appearance, I'm sure he wasn't thrilled about it. ;)

2. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi VillieGee,
    I would also definately be very interested! :) I want to make Aayla Secura for DCon, but I have no idea how to do the headpiece.

:)

ecila

3. LumpyTheWookiee

LumpyTheWookiee Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2003
    MMmmmMMmMMmmm...WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

4. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    My guess is that Bai Ling was cut mainly due to the fact that they cut out the whole Padmé action/senators scences. Playboy pictures might offense some people but I think it wasn't the main reason for cuttin her scenes.

Anyway, what I'd really like to see is a big Twi'lek gathering with all kind of skins colors ans costumes! I don't think anyone in their right mind would like to walk around at a convention dressed as the dancer from Jabba's palace though ;)

5. cal196

cal196 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    Arent Twi'Lek's visualy stunning? Makes sense to me to have that scene.

6. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah I guess he cut that scene like a year ago and that his other daughter was in it. Does anyone know what she was supposed to look like, btw?

7. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Hey VillieGee. I am very interested in your offer with the Twi'lek headpiece. How soon do you think you could get it done? I'm not in a rush at all, I was just wondering. Thanks for offering this.

~Jennifer

8. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I dunno, but I've been thinking about it. I've been working on my Bossk mask since like July of last year, but I only worked on it for a few months before I had to put it aside for the school year and just recently started working on it regularly again. But Bossk is waaaaaay more complicated than a Twi'lek head. Plus I wouldn't have to paint it, cuz I'm sure most people would want to make it match their makeup. I guess the only part I'm not sure about is making an armature of some sort to support all that clay........ How big is the average head? lol

9. DarthCopper

DarthCopper Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    Why would you scuplt something like that? There are easier and cheaper ways to make those head pieces without scuplting, molding and forming and still have them look professional. I know b/c I am a professional prop and costume maker. OK, only one costume it was a helmet for Ultraman in Mylasia. It's 1:30am right now for me, so I am going to bed but I will type out a way to make them that is affordable and kick ass looking.

10. Rebel_Princess_Leici

Rebel_Princess_Leici Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    VillieGee, I would also be interested. Do you have any pictures of ones you have made?

Also, I sense a tinge of bitterness in a few messages...a twi'lek costume is no worse than slave leia. I am lucky enough to have my mother's good genes and some guts so I would be completely comfortable in the equevalant(sp?) to a bikini. I know that there's nothing "skanky" about me just because I'm small and can wear a mid-drift.

Has anyone started this one? It almost looks like she's wearing really flowy pants instead of a skirt and that's a lot of bead work.

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I think it would be the beading on the bodice that would be the hardest part, because of all those tiny little seed pearls you'd need, plus getting them to hang the right way.

If he cut Bai Ling because she was in Playboy, then maybe George should have cut Ewan, considering the films he'd done before SW. Sauce for the goose and all that.

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Once again, the Playboy thing had nothing to do with it.

Thats also the scene with Padme's peacock dress (featured heavily in online features and Vanity Fair), and the only scene where Mon Mothma had lines! According to the Art of RotS book the decision to cut that scene was made last year, long before the whole Playboy thing.

Villie: Any chance of doing male Twilek lekku as well? The main differences seem to be in the style of headdress.

13. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    The link to my Bossk mask is earlier in this thread, and my Plo Koon hands are on my site (link's in my sig).

I want to sculpt it because I haven't seen any Twi'lek costumes that I thought were "perfect." Some have been really good, but I want to see how good my way will work. It might suck, it might be great, we'll have to see. Besides, it's not like it's going to be expensive. The plaster would probably cost the most. Like maybe $10-15 worth? And the latex is negligable. Like maybe $5 of that at the most.

I've been thinking about whether it would deform permanently during shipping...

14. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I was going to try to make the headpiece by sewing it out of material that looks "fleshy" but other costumes I have seen done like that have looked alright but not really good. I saw one headpiece that was made out of clay and then 'painted' with rubber latex in three coats. The woman that did that did the best job I have seen. The pictures are up on the padawans' guide (http://www.padawansguide.com/fancostumes/karma5.jpg). But she said the headpiece was extremely heavy and she could only wear it for a short period of time. I don't want that to be the case since I hope to wear it for a whole day, especially if I take the time to paint my whole body.

15. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I dunno, I think whatever you make is going to be kind of cumbersome. I think Aayla Secura's lekku are kinda short compaired to other Twi'leks', so there's a bit of leeway with that.

I remember reading that Michael Carter was afraid his neck would be permanently injured from the weight of the Bib Fortuna makeup. That's why he's got such funny posture in the movie.

16. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Ouch. That must have been a heavy headpiece.

17. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    No kidding. I never heard a number, but it was enough that he was afraid that if he tripped and fell he would die. Thankfully he's fine. :)

18. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Well, I did manage a doll version:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Guinastasia/redtwilekballet.gif]

19. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I may be stating the obvious but I made some observations after looking at the costume. I can't tell if the dress is a halter or not, but I would guess it wouldn't be. It is probably attached in the back in a similar style as the front. The top is in two layers. The first layer, which is closer to the skin, is very thin. So it might be sheer or a thin material, maybe a silk since Trisha likes to use that alot in her costumes. The second layer is a beaded shirt that is not sown onto the first layer. You can see the first layer peaking out on the behind the helmet picture. So they are two separate layers. I cannot see the skirt well but the waistband seems to be made out of a more sturdy fabric and definitely has interfacing to keep the shape in place. Both layers are attached to the skirt, but I cannot see how. This would be a killer dress to make just because of the beadwork. Good luck to anyone who wants to make it.

20. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    I found a fan's website that has more photos of her including a full length shot.

?Link?

21. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh crud, now I have to make an entirely new doll. Oh well.

22. Ravenjack

Ravenjack Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2005
    Hey Villiegee I am also interested in your Twilek headpieces, that is the only thing I am having a problem with when it comes to finishing my costume. I want a realistic set and not just a pair of pantyhose on my head, it just doesn't look right.

23. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    It'd be for a female Twi'lek. Male Twi'leks are a whole other bag of meat.

And I haven't made anything yet. lol

24. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I found this other red Twi'lek well clicking around on PadawansGuide.com, I thought for a second that it was the same woman, but I realize it's not...it's still a realy nice costume though!
    [image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/images/cut_scenes/ep1/twilek_aide2.jpg]

25. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Cheers for those.

Ive done some Sketching and planning and have even made a rough mock up. Its actually rather simple, the ball aching bit is going to be putting all the beads on. Ive been sourcing some fabrics and have 2 or 3 that are a pretty good match but I want to collect more close up pictures before getting any. Getting the lekku right is the next problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.