main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTS related to Othello in any way?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by morpher-2005, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The names and faces of people change over the years. Even thousands of years. But situations, basic human emotions and desires, will never change. This is the familiarity of the Star Wars films and the reason they tie into so many pre-existing myths, religions, philosophies, and plays.

2. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    but george recognized we were losing that mythic connection -

regarding echoes of othello- palpatine/iago is the pourer of poison into anakin/othello's ear and very much like othello in one misguided (by palps) act anakin has caused the very thing he feared most of all - the loss of padme....

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Periodically, the classics and timeless stories must be told in a new way that relates to the current generation so the lessons in them can remain fresh and relevant.

4. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't get why people continuously say, "in the original story GL meant to do this...." The majority of people on this board, if not all, have seen the movie. Not all of us buy thousands of books, or listen to the dvd commentaries etc. If GL wanted to get something across in his story he should have put it on film where everyone could see it. I have read the ROTS book and in that story Palps was trying to make it seem like Obi-wan and Padme had a relationship but it was fully developed in the book nor the movie. I do see hints of Shakespeare especially with Padme's funeral. But Anakin isnt Othello and Padme isnt Desdemona in that Desdemona actually had a real reason for dying. I think Palps could vaguely resemble Iago if instead of having padme as Desdemona it was the jedi in general who is a symbol of the innocent Desdemona being destroyed by the misguided Othello/Anakin

5. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Just saw Olivier as Othello last night on TCM. One of his best performances. I see similarities, but it seems GL is influence by Shakespeare's tragic hero in general, not just one play.

6. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    i agree - no one implied that this was scene for scene word for word intent for intent a replica of othello. shakespeare is the influence and more than one story

7. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    Although there are many differences, I'm sure most people would agree that to little extent, there is a deffinate similarity. I only realised this when we studied Othello in English at school, and we actually had to write an essay up about it for our coursework. I was going to mention that many films/books are somewhat children of the Othello play, but seeing as the point of the essay was to explain why one scene was so important, I left it out.

8. KrystinaSkywalker

KrystinaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    I think there are definetely similarities, and whether it was intended or not, I still think it's an extremely interseting idea. And why shouldn't George use parts of old stories, particularly from brilliant minds like Shakespeare? (They even share a flair for the slightly overdramatic) I mean really, if you're trying to create a modern mythology that will stick with people, why not take some archetypes from stories that have lasted 100's of years?
    Nice connection Morpher!

9. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I think the similarities are about applicability,
    rather than a direct "influence."

The themes are similar. When one consider's
    GL devotion to understanding the universalities
    of myths and mythic figures, I think the
    broader, universal themes are what resonates.

10. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    In the book, Palpatine uses Padme's connection to a group of senators who oppose him (AKA the future rebel alliance) as a way to poison Anakin's mind against her. If she is against Palpatine, then she is against Anakin too. It's a subplot I wish had been included.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It would've telegraphed his choking her, which was to be a huge surprise twist.

12. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    MOYERS: Joseph Campbell once said all the great myths, the ancient great stories, have to be regenerated in every generation. He said that's what you are doing with Star Wars. You are taking these old stories and putting them into the most modern of idioms, the cinema. Are you conscious of doing that? Or are you just setting out to make a good action-movie adventure?

LUCAS: With Star Wars I consciously set about to re-create myths and the classic mythological motifs. I wanted to use those motifs to deal with issues that exist today. The more research I did, the more I realized that the issues are the same ones that existed 3,000 years ago. That we haven't come very far emotionally.

Of Myth And Men
    A conversation between Bill Moyers and George Lucas on the meaning of the Force
    and the true theology of Star Wars
    Time Magazine, April 1999

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.