main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mr. P, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    arrowheadpodracer-

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know what immolation meant either, but like you, I didn't want to know, so I waited until after viewing it to look it up. And then I was like, ah yes, makes sense. I was glad I didn't know too.

I thought it was brilliant the way Williams interwove old themes in ROTS. He actually did a good job of gradually adding in old themes as we got closer and closer to Ep. IV. I thought we would hear more old themes in AOTC than what we did. I was also suprised that he kind of abandoned Anakin's theme after TPM. When Padme joins Anakin on the balcony after his nightmare, there is a hint of that theme, but I don't think that I had heard it actually in Anakin's Dream. Nice to hear that touch in there, although I never really felt that it was particularly strong track. I'd much rather hear more Across the Stars. It was nice to hear that right before Padme disembarks the ship on Mustafar.

2. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Love the soundtrack, very depressing.

I was surprised that, in the context of the movie DOTF worked. I was so damn sick of hearing it.

3. Jedi_Jen

Jedi_Jen Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2003
    I didn't know what immolation meant either.
    im?mo?late

Pronunciation: (im'u-lât"), [key]
    ?v.t., -lat?ed, -lat?ing.
    1. to sacrifice.
    2. to kill as a sacrificial victim, as by fire; offer in sacrifice.
    3. to destroy by fire.

That is a perfect description. :(

4. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I didn't know what immolation meant either, so when I saw the word I went and looked it up. As soon as I read the definition, I was like, "oh, crap." :(

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am listening to "Anakin's Dark Deeds" at the moment and it is great.

6. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I love Williams score for the film. Of the OST of the prequels RotS is easily my favourite.

I think the tracks are all entertaining (although, ?entertaining? might not be the right word for some of them, I?m sure you know what I mean :p). The End Credits might drag on a little bit, but it?s worth it hearing some good ol? themes again.
    My favourite track is probably Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, although Anakin?s Dream (beautiful intro), Anakin?s Betrayal (haunting) and Anakin?s Dark Deeds (so dark) are also much-loved. Hey, they?re all great.

But I?ve only seen the film once (I know, I know?) so I?m having a hard time connecting the music with the scenes. I know pretty much what piece of music goes where, but I still cannot see the scene in my mind yet, if you follow me.

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    So....which piece of music was in ROTS Lucas didn't use for TPM because he thought it would perfectly fit the final chapter?

I guess it might be "Battle Of The Heroes". It has something that would fit Duel Of the Fates.

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    After listening to the soundtrack last night I do feel that the end credits are odd. If someone is watching 1-6 in order they're going to be very confused.

That being said...I would love for the 'Saga DVD Box Set' to have the ROTJ end credits re-done with a retrospective piece on the entire saga. That makes more sense than ROTS.

9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Anyone who knows the answer to my question above?
    One of my favourite tracks from the movie has to be The Immolation Scene. It works so perfectly for the movie. How Anakin is defeated and catching on fire.

I also love The Birth of the Twins and Padmé's Destiny. It has such a mystical beginning and then turns into the funeral music which both Padmé and Vader share-and also mirrors to it's original use, Qui-Gon's funeral in TPM.

10. Spare_Parts

Spare_Parts Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    ^ The only reused music which stood out in ROTS for me was when Anakin marched into the temple. It just seemed inappropriate and too happy. I don't think it was from TPM though.

Personally, I love the second song on there, I think it's called Anakin's Dream, a lot. The begining part is really beautiful.

Me too the string solo?s are soooo sad. Other favourites are Anakin?s Betrayal, Anakin?s Dark Deeds (especially the second half) and The Immolation Scene which has a great ending. Actually I love the whole soundtrack, it?s so sad and moody.

The only problem I have is with Grevious and the Droids. To me some parts of it sound exactly like the music from Aliens.

11. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Hmm Billy Dee, don't know which song it is, I had never heard that before but would also be very interested in the answer to that question. Where did you hear about it?

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Good question. Maybe three or even four years ago. I really don't remember, though.

13. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Storm, I don't think the audience will get confused. I just came back from my third showing and a bulk of the end credits is Battle of the Heroes. I think on the CD, it's more of a montage, but a fabulous montage at that.

14. TheUnknownSyn

TheUnknownSyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    I really, really missed the Throne Room celebration in the movie, but as marajade said I guess it was more of a soundtrack treat for the fans.

15. marajadebean

Mar 11, 2005
    Syn, I would have loved that part and the variations of the Force theme in there. So wonderful, powerful, subtle and not so much brass. That really would have been a treat in the end credits. But hey, we have the CD.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I preferred the way the end credits were done in the movie, myself. They were meant to pave the way to ANH, and they do that beautifully. It was good to hear Leia's theme used as much as it was. I'd always wished that theme appeared more often after ANH, myself.

17. TheUnknownSyn

TheUnknownSyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    The one other thing that bothers me is that (to my knowledge) we still don't have a complete, single track of the force theme. "Light of the Force" comes closest, but I would've loved to hear a "full" version with a nice intro and outro, unrelated to any actual movie scene. Kinda like Princess Leia's theme. It got such a full treatment on one of the ANH OST's, and you didn't actually hear it like that in the movie I believe.

We always have it stuck fit into some other track. ROTS used the force theme nicely and quite often, but never really satisfying IMO.

18. marajadebean

Mar 11, 2005
    Dark Lady Mara, I'm with you on how Leia's theme was used. I know why it was used and yes, it's used I think more poginantly here in ROTS than ANH. It is a theme now that definitely has more meaning now. We heard it in the credits and scattered through ANH but it was never really drawn full blown out like the Force them was. I was almost surprised Williams didn't do a spot of Luke and Leia's theme.

Syn, I think the only reason why we never got a full treatment of the Force theme in ROTS is probably because they wanted that saved for the OT. Kind of like the way people wanted the Imperial March in ROTS. It was a nice suprise that it wasn't, that when you heard it, it was more of a variation rather than the normal melody.

19. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I was actually pretty cool towards BotH at first but now I'm really liking it.

The soundtrack is good but I was underwhelmed by the scoring of the actual film. Also BotH's should have been used more forcefully in the movie rather than waiting until the end.

20. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    I was almost surprised Williams didn't do a spot of Luke and Leia's theme.

I thought the same thing. With Leia's theme used in both the movie and the end credits, I was a little sad that Luke and Leia's theme didn't appear at least somewhere, even if just briefly. It's one of my favorite OT concert suites.

21. marajadebean

Mar 11, 2005
    JediPrincessKas, Luke and Leia's theme is one of my favorites too and it's so underused. I know, I know, it's mainly a concert suite but still. It still would have been appropriate, considering they are together and the audience knows they are brother and sister. Even just one small cue. Oh well. I still am rather happy for Leia's theme to have more weight now.

I think for Williams, it was too much music and not enough movie time to get everything in.

22. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Darth_Zoo[/b:]
    Also BotH's should have been used more forcefully in the movie rather than waiting until the end.

Actually, I feel differently. I like that Battle of the Heroes is saved for the Duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It really had no other place to be earlier in the film, anyway.

23. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Why wasn't the opening song from the space battle on the CD?

24. marajadebean

Mar 11, 2005
    Whizkid, the opening battle is on the CD but it's slightly edited with the Utapu raid because I heard some of that in the first track on the CD. It's just the way they edit it. Remember, on the AOTC one, we didn't hear the beginning music either, it was more of the Kamino music.

I would have loved to hear the drum work though. This is why Sony Classical must put out an Ultimate Edition. :D

25. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    Alright, I'm minorly obsessed with the music that plays when Anakin is marching up to the Jedi Temple with his clone troops. I know it's actually a cue from the arena scene in AOTC, but they should have included it in this soundtrack as well. I think that music fits perfectly with that scene, and now whenever I hear it, I'll see Anakin's march instead of anything that goes on in the arena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.