main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS]The novel

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jeff 42, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    Its a shame that a lot of things in the book were cut out of the movie. The whole rebellion subplot wasnt sub at all. It was the main focus of the movies and the next 3 films! The entire point of Episode 1 and 2 were to set up the senate and that people were voicing concerns about it etc.

However, ROTS is generally regarded as one of the best star wars movies and thats because it played like the originals with personal battles between the main protaganists. Whereas, in Episodes 1 and 2 we didnt get intimate with the characters at all. Certainly not to the extent in ROTS anyway.
    Lucas himself said that he cut away all the flab from Revenge and focused on Anakins story, but to tease us with this big sprawling epic of a galactic senate in Episodes 1 and 2 only to take away one of the pivotal scenes in Revenge is a shame.

Still loved the movie though, but like a number of people here who cant get enough star wars. We want more :)

2. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    One line that bugged me, was where Padme says to Bail that "I might not even live that long." What the heck? That made it sound like she wanted to die and she didn't have faith in Anakin, I don't know that part just made me kind of mad.

I think she was referring to her being part of the petition group, marking her as a dissident and, had she remained in politics, a likely target for a speeder accident arranged by Palps. I don't think she ever really gave Anakin's dreams serios credence in either the movie or the novel.

There is a reason that things get cut from movies. As opposed to books, which can be thousands of pages long, movies are meant to be enjoyed in a relative short period of time. Yes things might be interesting to know, but not necessarily to watch.

Agreed. I didn't have the problems with additional dialogue that others seem to, but I find myself preferring the tighter scenes of the movie.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I read it in 3 days... loved it.

Matt Stover really has moments of brilliance. The intro is stunning. And I love the device he uses through the book... "this is what it's like to be _____"

I understand why some things had to be cut out of the movie, but it was still nice to read them here. He still managed to make the book revolve totally around Anakin, while still retaining bits about important politics. But that's where books can suceed easier than movies.

Palpatine is even more manipulative and clever, Anakin is even more tortured, and Obi-Wan's obvious love for Anakin is heart-breaking. Anakin's POV inside the suit for the first time is equally as stunning as the beginning. It was exactly the right thing to do, and I wish there was some way to do that in the movie, of course there wasn't but, it gives much needed "closure" to the reading audience.

I did feel as though the opening space battle went on forever, even not considering all the excellent character development. I think it took about about 1/4 of the book. And the ending did feel a little bit rushed to me. I remember noticing the few pages left when there was still so much that needed to happen. But those are minor gripes. I think it's probably the best novelization of a movie I've ever read. He and Zahn are by far the best Star Wars writers.

4. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks forcefire, that makes a lot more sense. I actually think that Palpatine was much more clever in the film. He was much more subtle and it was easier to see Anakin fall into his trap. In the book, I didn't find it too believable that Anakin would even listen to him, let alone believe him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.