main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] The Office Duel - What's the Verdict?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 25, 2005.

?

Mace vs. Palps - What's the Verdict?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Mace is the man, can't stop Vaapad!

17.9%
  2. Palps was faking him the entire time!

9.5%
  3. Mace better with a saber, but Palps played him!

68.4%
  4. Too close to call! Anakin had to decide things.

4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  2. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
    I voted for the combo choice. Mace is a great fighter, but I think Palpatine had forseen that Anakin would come to his aid, and was quite confident that Mace would not get the chance to kill him.

3. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I voted for Mace- he defintely had things under control, at least until Anakin arrived and ****ed things up.

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think the entire thing was a complex ruse to draw Anakin in. Palps could have sliced and diced him in about 5 seconds but needed him to love until Anakin arrived. Then he put himself in a position of jeopardy just before he sensed Anakin's arrival, to make it look like Mace was attacking him in a defenseless position. Convenient that his saber went out the window, no evidence for Anakin to spot.

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yes, but then we all know your thoughts on Palpatine, storm.:p

I picked Mace better with a saber, but got played by Palps.

Palpatine could have demonstrated the power of the Dark Side to Anakin by "slicing and dicing" Mace, as you put it.

6. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes Garth...the lure of the Dark Side has consumed me once more. I worship at the feet of the Dark Lord again...

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I dunno...I just mean, why bother to throw away your lightsaber if you're going to *zap* Mace in front of Anakin anyway?

Imagine if Mace had Palpatine in a similar position, but Palps still had his saber - kind of like Luke out on the ledge with Vader in ESB.

Then, instead of continuing the fight a la Luke, he drops his saber, says something like "This is a Jedi weapon, I don't need it to destroy you" and *zaps* Mace.

THAT would have been Palps playing Mace the entire time.

8. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I chose the 3rd one.

9. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, I did too. Mace is far superior with a lightsaber, but Palpatine had this all played out in his head.

10. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Although Mace is an excellent swordsman, it only would have been a stalemate with Sidious. Where Sidious is the clear winner is in his manipulations and force powers.

Sidious had the situation under control because he knew Anakin was on the way. And I noticed two things...Sidious seems to look at the doorway a few times during the fight, as if he's expecting Anakin. The other thing was that it looked like he purposely tossed his lightsabre out of the window. This is what I could gather from watching it in digital. Perhaps on DVD in slo-mo it will be more apparent.

11. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    it looked like he purposely tossed his lightsabre out of the window

Probably just because Sam Jackson didnt actually kick Ian McDiarmids hand. :p

I voted for #3.
    Mace kicks ass... but he got played.

12. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I went with Mace, gotta love Vaapaad, I also think it adds to Sidious's character that he's able to talk his way off the edge of death.

13. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    Mace had him.

14. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well even if Sidious tossing the saber intentionally is due to bad directing...it is still canon! If he threw it, he threw it!

15. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
  16. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Yeah, Mace had the upper hand, but, he got punked by Sidious, as well as Anakin.

I remember seeing those conflicted, hateful eyes Anakin throws toward Mace when he's deciding what to do. Anakin didn't forget how Mace punked him in the Jedi Council Chamber earlier when Mace said, "Take a SEAT, young Skywalker."

17. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I went with the third option.

18. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    It's obviously the third option, but it also doesn't nessecarily mean Mace is better with the saber.

I hate absolute answers like that. Do we all think Padawan Obi-Wan in TPM was better with a saber than Darth Maul? Of course not. But he won.

As Lucas says in the Making of ROTS, only two people can compete with Sidious, Mace and Yoda... and Anakin being the potential one to surpass them all.

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    It's a poll, Wrath. I had to make SOME specific answers. 8-}

20. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Oh, don't mind my rants.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Palpatine could have demonstrated the power of the Dark Side to Anakin by "slicing and dicing" Mace, as you put it.

I don't think so. Mace Windu was simply the better swordsman. Unfortunately for him, Anakin betrayed him by helping Palpatine.

22. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Mace had him OWNED. Sidious just thinks really fast and works well under pressure. Good traits to have when you are ruler of the galaxy......

Mr. P

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Palpy was faking it the whole time. In the duel with Mace, he acts as if he's exhausted and can't hold his Force lightning any longer after only a short while. But in the Senate chamber with Yoda, it's pretty clear that he's infinitely more powerful than that. ESB shows that even Yoda got winded after lifting an X-wing. Palpy was throwing 10,000 pound pods around and just standing there laughing while doing it.

Perhaps saber dueling isn't Palpy's forte (and we do have to remember that he's an old guy, so his body isn't necessarily in as good form as Mace's), but I don't think there's any question Palpatine is a much stronger Force user. If he had genuinely wanted to whoop Mace as quickly as possible, he would have dropped the saber and just started throwing heavy objects or something.

THE DARK SIDE IS STRONGER. JUST ACCEPT THAT. :p

24. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Mace had Palpatine on the ropes. If we learned anything from the saga, we see parallels between the PT and the OT. Palpatine was about to fry Luke to a crisp until Vader interfered in ROTJ, and while Palpatine wasn't as helpless as Luke in ROTS, he did need Anakin to come to his aid as throwing Force lightning in Mace's direction obviously didn't work, what else was he going to try?

That, and I think GL intended to show that even someone as powerful as Palpatine had a weakness. If Palpy cleaved his way through Mace like the other Jedi he'd be just another cookie-cutter villain. When Anakin arrived, his jaded and distrustful feelings towards the Jedi and compassion for the Chancellor worked to Palpatine's advantage.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    THE DARK SIDE IS STRONGER. JUST ACCEPT THAT.

"No... easier, quicker, more seductive."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.