[RoTS] Tragic Flaw of The Jedi Philosophy

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by zenwave, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenwave Force Ghost

star 1
    I've been thinking about this for a while, but now, in light of RoTS, I'd like to know how many others believe as I do:

We are oft reminded of the danger of attachment and possession according to Jedi philosophy, but if this had been truly applied, not just on a personal level, but politically as well, the Jedi might have survived.

"We can only protect you, we can't fight a war for you" - QuiGon, Ep I
    "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers" - Mace Windu, Ep II
    "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" - Yoda, Ep III

What if the Jedi had trained themselves to let go of the Republic? If they (and the Senate) had allowed the Separatists to secede, perhaps Palpatine's plan for war would have been thwarted.

Certainly, even with a war, had the Jedi not been involved, their ranks would not have been decimated and spread so thin that they could have been taken out by "Order 66".

What do you think?

Good to go. Thanks, G_M.
  2. zenwave Force Ghost

star 1
  3. JMax Jedi Knight

star 2
    There is nothing wrong with that logic. Very keen insight - the Jedi could not let the Republic go emotionally even though they knew the current system was corrupt.

Yet they were trapped because they knew a Sith (Dooku) was controlling the Separatists.
  4. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I don't think that's a fair assessment.

They are supposed to be selfless. IF you're saying they should've just let the Galaxy go into the spectacular train wreck it would've went into without them, I would argue that that's not being selfless. That's just not bothering to help.
  5. JMax Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well... I thought it was a cool idea. Not correct but definitely worth contemplating.
  6. qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The book has some interesting insight on this (if you're willing to embrace it is another discussion).
    It says somewhere that Mace had grown attached to the civilization, meaing the Republic. I think that is a very interesting thought.

The way I see it, the Jedi council have been sitting around for a very, very long time, and has stayed the same throughout all this. Yoda in the book feels that the Sith has been able to adapt all this time, and the Jedi have not, and that is why the Sith are "winning".

I think the Jedi/Sith debate is incredibly interesting, because they both really have their "good/bad" points, especially since the release of ROTS.
  7. Myri_Antilles Jedi Master

star 4
    Or, accepting that they should have let go, maybe the problem wasn't that they didn't let go, it was that they had to...

Perhaps they should have gotten involved at the political level before things got to the state they did. It seems to me that the Jedi tried to keep their distance from the Senate... serving, but not really participating. If they had tried to influence it sooner, they might have picked up on Palpatine's plan when it could have been stopped.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.