main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTS Trailer - A dilemma

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TAFF_VADER, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAFF_VADER

TAFF_VADER Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    A while back, before any ROTS material was widespread on the net, I discovered the Emperor's secret service. (see link, it's superb)

Emperor's secret service

Although I did not sign up, I morally pledged my allegiance to this "faction", that I would remain completely spoiler free. I knew this would be a difficult task but felt the reward would well out weigh the hardship.
    I remember going into the cinema for the OT without seeing so much as a trailer, apart from ROTJ where I read the book before hand, a decision I?ve always regretted. I took no notice of this prior mistake though as I was completely swept up in the euphoria that preceded TPM and gleaned every scrap of information the internet would yield (without reading the book). When AOTC was in production a decided that the ?middle way? was the right approach to adopt, whereby I would only view Teaser clips and the official trailer, after all George had produced them therefore he intended us to watch them. All other material such as web documentaries I would avoid. This enhanced the experience considerably but I can?t help wondering if it would be even better if I hadn?t listened to the soundtrack (1000 times) or watched the trailers, just like it had been for ANH and ESB.
    Now that the ROTS trailer is finally here I must decide whether to stay spoiler free. This being the last Star Wars film ever, I won't get another chance at this. The problem is that this material is so widely available on the net I think spoilers are unavoidable. To date I?ve seen the pictures of General Grievous, I?ve inadvertently seen the pictures of toasted Anakin that were printed in the Mirror. I?ve also seen the shots of Angry Anakin and the snippet that was included on the OT DVD?s. Combine that with the threads on here and I?ve learned the film will feature CGI Wookies. The thing that finally prompted me to post on here was the one entitled ?How to chop down a tree? when I saw this, a small part of me was gutted but the rest thought WOW![face_hypnotized]
    Now I am desperate to see the rest of the trailer.

I suppose what I?m after here is either a little moral support to carry on my so called spoiler free crusade or whether you think that spoilers are unavoidable, they are my destiny, and I should give myself to the Dark side!

Help please!

2. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Dude, I wish I had the willpower to not look at every spolier available.

I am addicted and just can't wait for the next snippet.

Its too late for me.......save yourself and run! Run and hide far far away until May.

Do it for all of us who have been seduced by the darkside :(

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Dark Side > Not knowing that ****** ****** *****. :eek:

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The point of a trailer is not to ruin the cinematic experience fro the viewer, but to encourage the viewer to see the film.

And no-one can stay entirely spoiler free. Almost everyone knows the tile of Episode III, and thats a spoiler :p

5. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
  6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Sorry dude, but the fact that you roam on a STAR WARS message board days after the trailer comes out means that you AREN'T gonna stay "spoiler free". Trailers aren't spoilers, so I'm sorry if you feel "spoiled" by the tree thread, but think about it. If you wanna know nothing, why come here?

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Stay away from the trailer, you will definetly feel spoiled about some of the images in it. Also if you haven't already go and register for the Non-spoiler forum on this board, there they have a lot of people like you and a support group for those going totally trailer-free. :) :) :) Good luck, I'm sure you're the one who will get the most of out the film.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm sure you're the one who will get the most of out the film

I must disagree with that, from a certain point of view. I'm spoiled up to the [highest point on body]... and I know that I will enjoy ROTS sooooooooooooooooooo much. The relish of finally seeing this film I'm been reading about and talking about for the last three years will be so wonderful (as I know from TPM & AOTC). It brings a great exercise in anticipation to a glorious close. Everything is coming to the boil, as it were. Going unspoiled deprives one of that long term experience, and since you don't know what's coming, the joy of it is (only IMO) slightly less because you haven't had it in your mind's eye for so many years beforehand. It's all new, and is not that 'old friend' seen afresh. Plus, you're not struggling to take it all in as you watch; you've got an 'outside eye' as it were. I love it. Doubles the experience for me. Because I am so in love with Star Wars, I simply don't need to be completely unspoiled when I see the latest installment ot gain massive massive massive and cumulative amounts of enjoyment. The key word is 'cumulative'.

And I know there's the argument that says all spoiled people are just people who want to be unspoiled but haven't got the required self control. It's just not true, I made a conscious choice.

However, having said all that I am now going to completely undermine myself. I only feel this way about Star Wars. If I am going to see any other film, then their trailers are as far as I usually take pre-information.

9. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'm Non-Spoiler but I watched the trailer.

I even watched the Game Trailer, wchich is much more spoiling than the film one.

But I'm NS as I was spoiled for AOTC and it ruined it for me!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The trailer hardly gives anything major away, it doesn't even show the Robot villian.

It only shows certain characters most people knew were already in it (besides Wookies). The only major spoiler would be seeing Sidious with his sabre.

11. TAFF_VADER

TAFF_VADER Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    Sorry about the delay in posting back but I've been busy in work and I'm having to do this on my own time!:(:(

Firstly to SithLord
    I agree with the point that trailers are to encourage people to go and see the film but I really feel that it does not apply in this case, after all, if the trailer had been a 2 minute clip of steam rising from a great big pile of bantha poodoo, we'll all still be there opening night!

Halibutt Sorry if I sounded like I was having a go, it wasn't meant to be a dig at your post ([face_worried])and you are absolutely right if I want to be completely spoiler free I shouldn't be looking here. It's just that when you've got a spare 10-20 minutes to kill in work([face_blush]), TFN is always a good place to come for a browse. When I do come here I'm always aware that I may see some spoilers, it's just now the release date is approaching it's becoming more likely. Anyhow, as I've already pointed out I'm already a little spoiled, so it's not the first time!

EvertonI think I mentioned before that the trailer technically isn't a spoiler as it's sanctioned by GL and I see where you're coming from with the point that seeing the trailer will only whet your appetite, making you more eager than ever to see the film!( I like your "certain point of view" touch btw)It's just that there is that "very first time" feeling you get that is very precious and I would like as much as possible of it to happen when I see ROTS in the cinema on opening night. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!

To everone else thanks for the support, I'll give it a try not to see the trailer! I didn't watch it yesterday, I didn't watch it today and I won't watch it tomorrow is all I can say!

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Some valid points you have made

13. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    You WILL watch it on Saturday though, I have foreseen this. [face_mischief]

14. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    richie, you sound like Yoda when you say that

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You mean he reads like Yoda, do you not? Internet, this is. Hear him, you [stamps cane] cannot!

:p

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    o_O

You WILL watch it on Saturday though, I have foreseen this
    Am I missing something?
    Whats on & When on Saturday?

17. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    "You mean he reads like Yoda, do you not? Internet, this is. Hear him, you [stamps cane] cannot!"

Bastard, you are. Take the **** out of me, do you? Fart in your general direction, i must... ;)

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.