main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT ROTS vs AOTC and TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kalzeth, Dec 25, 2017.

1. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I am wondering if there are any known reasons for the better acting, directing, (even effects) and tighter story of ROTS vs the other two prequels. It seems there is almost universal agreement on it being a better made movie.

My personal theory is GL had a better sense of what he wanted it to be, but not sure that explains everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    ROTS eas the movie everyone teally wanted to make amd to see.
    And it always seemed to me that in the the first two prequels GL could not decide between an adult or child movie and wond up making a bit of a mash up.
    The concept of a long teem plan with politics, trade routs etc was a brilliant idea but then you got the Gungans who seemed a bit silly acting at times and C3PP s head being draged off for a cheap childs laugh.

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    On phone so I might post more once I get one my PC.

All 3 movies were made with expertise and hard workmanship. Including the directing of the films.

The acting, from what I can tell, for better because of the cast memebers getting used to their individual roles(not to mention the acting coaches he got for AOTC and ROTS). I find TPM’s acting still very good, albeit a bit more stoic and less expressive to some of the characters compared to the latter two.

My love for all 3 will not be abolished but I’m one of those “freaks” who’d say that TPM is the tightest. It acts more so like a self contained fairy tale(similar to ANH) and is definitely a film Lucas had to work a little harder on to set the ground work. Then again, this was the same for ANH so it isn’t any different.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, subjective perception and personal preference.

"Universal agreement" =/= fact.

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, it was a better story. Nothing to do with the actors or the directors.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This discussion is better held in the Prequel Trilogy Forum. Moving Thread

7. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    I tend to go against the grain on this. For me TPM is the best prequel film. It is truly beautiful to look at and the feeling of a mighty society in ignorant peril is expertly conveyed. Ian McDiarmid is wonderful as the puppetmaster Palpatine and I though both Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson were decent.
    ROTS, on the other hand, is my least favourite SW film, although I can still happily watch and enjoy it. It has some brilliant scenes (ruminations, opera) but the back end of it is a bit of a shambles for me. Anakin's turn, Vader's ''birth" and Padme's death were all a bit disappointing.

Earth Jedi likes this.
  8. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Well Lucas said at one point that the prequel trilogy overall story was like 20% TPM, 20% AOTC, and 60% ROTS, which mean the first two needed more "extra" story filled in to get a complete movie.

Also since most of the cast and crew was the same for all 3 movies, you would assume that things would get better and work more smoothly with each successive movie made.

SFX isn't really fair though, the newer the movie, the better (generally) the SFX.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think ROTS is darker and has a lot of action which is what people wanted all along. It didn't hurt there is a lot of McDiarmid and he's great. There's not much complaint about the dialogue between Anakin-Palpatine-Kenobi. there's just naturally a lot of drama the farther along that movie goes.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I actually thought TPM was much better acting wise than aotc on a viewing this week. It surprised me.

In ROTS I actually thought Portman had her worst performance although her role was more demanding in the other two.

Besides some of the humor and AOTC scenes (dexter) these have aged well and tell a very compelling story. I liked them when released but like them more now. The lightsaber fights are truly well done and considering how long ago they were released the effects are great. World building is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Most people do say that ROTS has better acting and directing than the other two but personally, I think that they're all great films. TPM is really fun to watch and I've always liked the Obi-Wan detective side (among other things) of AOTC. The acting and dialogue quality in both TPM and AOTC is also highly exaggerated -- even at its worst, I'd never call it dreadful (the OT also has its fair share of rough dialogue).

Then again, I'd also say that Sith has the best of almost everything, except for childlike charm and wonder, so saying that it's better than the other films isn't saying too much in my book.

12. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I think ROTS is rated higher in general because the film contains critical and climactic story points that viewers were either naturally receptive to, or were anticipating.

I don't think it has anything to do with the elements you stated, nor do I think those elements are even necessarily better in ROTS than the other 2 films.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    ROTS has the best story in the saga, largely because its second half was the culmination of 30 years of myth finally brought to life.

Consider these five monumental moments which were absolutely pivotal to the saga:
    - Anakin becoming Darth Vader
    - The start of the Jedi purge
    - The creation of the Empire
    - Anakin vs Obi-Wan
    - The birth of Luke and Leia

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't really notice much of a difference in the acting quality (or overall quality) between the three films. I will say I think Christensen fit into his role in AOTC a bit better than he did in ROTS. I feel like Lucas cast him in AOTC because he simply was Anakin in that movie, with all his teenage intensity and pouty James Dean charm. Christensen was then expected to grow into the role he needed to play in ROTS, which I think he did very well in the first couple acts when portraying an older, more put-together version of his character from AOTC. I think his performance as the proto-Vader, while getting the job done, was a bit weaker, simply because he finally had to play a character that wasn't very much like himself, and while I love Hayden for what he is, I don't think he's much of a chameleon.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Agree that I don't see much difference in acting and direction aside from Sith being the portion of the story that naturally calls for the dramatic payoff and the raw emotional high notes it brings. And for me those portions wouldn't work like they do without the foundation provided by TPM and AOTC.

{Quantum/MIDI} and kalzeth like this.
  16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    RotS is the closure, where all pieces go to their places, this is why it is satisfying. But the others had to build the scenario so RotS could focus on connecting the dots.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Well I personally like TPM the most and ROTS the least, but I think the reason why people generally like ROTS the most is because it has the juiciest content with Anakin's fall, Vader, the fall of the Jedi, the rise of the Empire, etc. And by the nature of the story, it was also never going to be as kiddy as TPM. Plus, Lucas had two movies of backlash and feedback to work with. And obviously, effects got better over time.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    To be honest, I see AOTC + Clone Wars Cartoon Network + ROTS as the PT, with TPM being a standalone intro, even an Anthology film before the concept was even thought of

19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    For me, I like ROTS the most out of the three because I feel like Hayden was let loose. He did an interview where it was explained that he kept wanting to do certain things in AOTC but George kept telling him he needed to hold it back. I almost felt the reins loosen once he was angry and kicking. I love the opening scene banter between him and Obi Wan. As much as I loved Maul in TPM, the fight scene between Vader and Obi Wan at the end of ROTS is well choreographed as well as executed by all. My favorite.

Other than Anakin leaving Shmi, or holding her as she's dying, ROTS is the most emotional for me.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It's not really a standalone or an anthology, because it's an integral part of the narrative arc of the saga. The story doesn't work without it. The story works perfectly fine without Rogue One.

ss640 and Alexrd like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    For me, that highlights the main problem with the PT as a whole. ROTS was really the only film Lucas wanted to make. The only problem was that he had to make a trilogy. He had no choice, and this shows. That’s why I believe TPM and AOTC are made up with so much filler. Also, that’s why I believe ROTS is the best directed of all the prequels. It’s quite a meticulously crafted film, because it was the only one Lucas actually cared about.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well with the effects part, the technology improved between TPM and ROTS, though I think parts of AOTC look "worse" than anything in TPM. The other things are a bit subjective, but for me I think some of it has to do with the fact that ROTS had more of what I wanted to see when the PT was announced (seeing Anakin's turn). This certainly makes the story seem "better" to me. I also think Hayden was better in darker scenes, which he has more of in ROTS.

wobbits likes this.
  23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    What is the filler in TPM in AOTC? especially in the latter, I happen to think it actually tries to do too much (and so does ROTS).

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Not really. More like the complete opposite. I think TPM and AOTC are more the films Lucas wanted to make, because he wasn't constrained as much by plot necessities and could basically just do whatever struck him as interesting--stuff like podracing and Gungans and what-have-you. ROTS is also a film he wanted to make and something he was clearly quite proud of, but it's also the only one he had to make.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  25. Earth Jedi

Earth Jedi Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    The Phantom Menace for me. Nostalgia plays a part, I'll admit, as the film was my introduction to Star Wars and I used to watch it over and over again when I was a kid... Still, I honestly think it's a very underrated film. Qui-Gon is a wonderful character (the best character that was created for the Prequels for sure, in my opinion), the pod race is great, the lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul is my favourite in the whole Saga. It's just a great adventure film all round.

Whenever I'm down, I either stick this or A New Hope in the DVD, as they're my two go to Star Wars films when I'm feeling blue.