main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] What did your non-star wars geek friends think?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I went with 5 other people of different ages, though we were split into two theaters. Here's how they felt by age, which I do think is a factor in the equation:

Me (34): I have already indicated my feelings
    29 year old girl: 1.80 thumbs up rounded to two
    31 year old guy: 4/5 stars
    18 year old girl: great, but sad
    16 year old boy: satisfyingly worshipped it
    13 year old boy: loved it

Going in I felt sure someone would not like it, especially the two my age, but was surprised that everyone enjoyed it.

Strilo edit: Please use this thread

2. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I went to see it with my best friend. She's the same age as me, 20, and although she's not a fan, she likes PT. She did not however like this one, she had expected more (I have no idea of what) and she didn't find the story sad at all. I tried to discuss a few things with her, but she didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe she was too tired, I don't know.

3. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Interesting. My girlfriend thought that Anakin's end was very sad, and the movie in general much more suspenseful than the last two. She also thought the slaughter of the younglings was VERY disturbing.

4. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    The one non-star wars geek friend I saw it with liked it, but saw more things he didn't like. He (39) is older than I (26) and holds a more traditional view of the OT. I asked him to consider that and imagine what 10 year olds now will be saying about it all in 20 years. He seemed to understand that...

5. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I have been trying very hard to educate my OT girlfriend on how those films are as flawed as these ones, it is just the perception caused by age. I think I am making some headway. She likes the PT, just likes the OT more.

She still has a HELL of a time making fun of me and calling me a dork.

6. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    they all LOVED it!!!

7. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I saw it with another guy who's 21. He's not the biggest fan. He loved it, though I think for all the wrong reasons. :p
    He loved all the scenes with Anakin/Vader because he thinks Vader is cool. I just think everything was sad sad sad.
    But I think that a lot people who are not really into the PT won't feel the same emotional content as uber geeks obviously.

On a funny note, there were a few kids in the same theatre (in their early teens I guess) who really reacted to everything in the film. One of them looked generally upset when he saw what Anakin did to the younglings, and one of them whispered something like "oh my god, that bastard". I mean they really looked like they were into it.

And then when they exited the theatre, there was almost like a competition about who could badmouth the film the most. :p
    Kinda cracked me up.

8. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I went with my fiancee and a couple we're friends with. I absolutely loved it, as did my female friend who thought it was the best of the entire 6 films. My fiancee didn't think it was any better than Eps 1 and 2, though, and fell asleep in parts. The other guy liked it but couldn't get past the acting, which he thought was worse than Episode II. I asked them if they'd ever even seen Ep 2 (which I know my fiancee has) as I loved all of the acting in Ep 3, even the mushy bits weren't too bad compared to the similar scenes in Ep 2. And the guy is one of those guys who thinks it's really fun to incessantly rag on Lucas. The man made movies that you grew up loving, don't turn on him because he added a few scenes you don't like or because you're not quite as fond of the prequels. Without him there would be no Star Wars, you whiney dork.

Blah, whatever, I would have had a lot more fun if I had just gone with my female friend and left my fiancee and the guy behind. My fiancee liked Ep 2, though, other than the mushy scenes, and I think she was just cranky from having been up 20 hours and having sat in the seat for 5 hours or whatever. I probably shouldn't have dragged her to the midnight show (although I didn't prod or anything, just asked if she wanted to do it and she immediately said yes).

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    That's the problem with Star Wars now...no one is one the fence. There are those of us who love it, and those who must destroy it.

Part of the reason I can't wait to get the DVD and watch it by myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.