main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rotten Tomatoes predictions

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ZeroFett, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Luke fans are going to ask "where's Luke" but critics could care less about that. Everyone is well aware these new films will focus on the new generation.

2. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Isn't statistically impossible for the RT to be lower than the MC?

Njfritz likes this.
  3. HeadingSouth

HeadingSouth Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    It'll probably be quite high, but I think that Rotten Tomatoes reviews are far too generous to many films.

4. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    If they feel he's underutilized knowing he'll just show up later in he series I can imagine it could be a criticism.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I reckon the low 90s, around 92%. On the one hand, it'll be held to a higher standard than the first Star Trek. On the other hand, I think it'll easily meet that standard for most reviewers.

6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I think it'll all just be a little too familiar for critics to fully praise.

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed, but even if they give it 3/5, it'll still be counted as a "fresh" review.

8. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Critics 23% RT 47% Audience 94%

9. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    If Mad Max is getting a 90+, I think this is gonna hit the 90's I really do.

Heck Fast 7 was 80+ I think.

I am so confident this movie will be great.

10. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

my money's on this.

exactly this.

$10,000 bet let's go.

also if any reviewers complain that JJ is not as "visionary" as Lucas (duh it's Lucas's series) or because there's not enough Luke that is not even valid criticism of the quality of the film lol.

11. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I agree that TFA quality will probably be better than the films you mentioned but people treat Star Wars films like Hattori Hanzo swords. They review Star Wars vs Star Wars not Star Wars vs other movies. I think a 90% or higher could happen but I think some critics will be hard on it. I hope your right though.

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  12. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    That's very possible Darth, however, I disagree that they are hard on it. I think their numbers are fair for all 6 movies. At first, when I seen the scores for the prequel movies I thought was a bit harsh. But after repeated viewings over the years, the score are correct...

In order...

Ep 1. 57%
    EP 2. 67%
    Ep 3. 80%
    Ep 4. 93%
    Ep 5. 96%
    Ep 6. 79%

13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Mad Max has a sort of punk ethos that appeals to critics when done well. TFA will be much more conservative. So you'll see a response sort of like, "This is Star Wars done well" but also "This doesn't really challenge the audience at all." I think the 75 Metacritic score is about right for that reason, but I think there'll be very few outright negative reviews, except from diehard contrarians.

14. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    One needn't look farther than the recent Vanity Fair article, which proclaimed something like "STAR WARS is fun again!", to understand 'the message' for critics.

15. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Critics will acclaim it the best movie since Showgirls!

16. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    At least 82%, maybe 100% for a while.

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Let's put it this way: the variance across reviews will be low. If the mean is above 60 and the spread is very tight, it'll get an incredibly high RT score.

For example, I just ran two simulations using 300 reviews with a mean score of 70. The first had a standard deviation of 15, resulting in an RT score of 83%; The second had a standard deviation of 10, resulting in an RT score of 94%. So even if the mean score is kind of "Good, but not great", if there's strong consensus, you'll get a strong RT score in the 90s.

Xinau and hippie1kenobi like this.
  18. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    Most critics don't get into the whole "challenge the audience type stuff", some do however which is why it wont get the 99% type review. Anything above 80 and this thing is going to go crazy (over 400m). If it gets like a 95+ watch out.

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't think critics tend to give bad reviews for safe crowd-pleasers but quite a few will knock off a point or two. In short, the more conservative a film is, the more it'll lower the mean score but also tighten the spread, assuming it hits all its targets. I have no doubt that TFA will do exactly as it intends, i.e. bring people back into the fold, and that's the sort of movie, when done well, that tends to get critics to grudgingly give a solid 75% to pretty much across the board. It's for that reason I foresee an RT score in the 90s.

20. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    Ya I agree. I will be the kind of movie where the RT is way higher than Meta. I see it getting a low 70s meta, maybe 80 if it is just awesome but getting over a 90 on RT.

I have no doubt this will be a good movie, no doubts at all. I have no doubt it will be better than EP 1 or 2. The question I have is will it be great in which I would put it above EP3. Or will it be a masterpiece and thought of right alongside of ESB. My heart tells me it will be a masterpiece, and the more I see of it my mind is starting to agree.

21. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    80% of the people on this forum riot whenever a new rumour reveals something even slightly "non Star Wars" and here we are all admitting that the film might be too safe. :')

22. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    No critic is going to say anything negative about Lucas' absence.

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I can see them manipulating the score to fit in exactly where they want it to fit.

ROTS was 80%
    ROTJ was 79%
    They'll put it above those but obviously below ANH and ESB.

I'd throw out 85-89%.

"Star Wars is back! JJ packs a punch! Terrific action! Great new characters and a triumphant reunion with the heroes we loved and a joyful, nostalgic return to the galaxy we grew up in! Some obvious retreading with some clearly repeated ideas but a new twist on them. This is the Star Wars movie we've been waiting for! The Force certainly has awoken!"

Or at least I hope for something like that.

24. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
  25. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    30%
    "Jar Jar Abrams sends the Star Wars Galaxy... into Darkness"

Howard Hand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.